Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Capelo's Green Monster Turbo Build Thread

My Cars
    99 Turbo M3
    Subscribed - I just sold my SPA and am ordering the new RSI manifold as well. Couldn't resist, things look tight but manageable

99 Turbo M3 - BWs366 - RSI - Fuse Fabrication - JE Cutring -

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Mylo View Post
    Looking good man! This is gonna be a fun season.
    Most definitely hopefully it isn't cut short by this megasquirt business lol

Quote Originally Posted by JPE36M3 View Post
    Subscribed - I just sold my SPA and am ordering the new RSI manifold as well. Couldn't resist, things look tight but manageable
    Great choice! If you opt out of A.C. you gain so much more room to do everything of course but the manifold is on point. I did have to massage the fender a bit to clear my turbo & the manifold flange. I'm still on some old stock rubber engine mounts though so I'm sure if you use another set like poly you'd be better off. Otherwise I'm very happy with it for the money
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'm running a rk tunes base tune now, but will be upgrading to the MS standalone when its available for us.

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected
    10.9@131mph. #AngerMotorsports

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Its so hard to be patient with warm weather around the corner. Maybe a used obd2 rk setup will come around for me to use for now.

Got all of my oil and coolant lines ran to the turbo. Got my oil pan 10an drain fitting welded on and pan installed back on the car. My drain hose needs to be shortened slightly but I'll wait for it to get back from getting the exhaust & charge piping done.

Also got my ID1300 connector pigtails thanks to Butters! Guy went out of his way to make sure I got them even 6 months after buying the injectors, stand up guy.

As of today I'm going to be mocking up my intake into place as well as final placement of turbo & wastegate so I can tow the car to the fabricator in the next couple days. I think I have set my mind on 3.5" full stainless from turbo back with wastegate recirc into downpipe. Then full aluminum charge piping probably stepped from 2" - 2.5" hot side then 3" cold side.

Once I get the car back with exhaust & charge piping done I can finish up the m50 manifold & injectors install then get the megasquirt standalone (hopefully) buttoned up, finish wideband & boost gauge install and then ready for action.
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Fuck that, open dump ftw!

PTE6262 .63 A/R, Stock S52, Cutring/Copper Spacer/Arp Studs Combo, Water Methanol Injected

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Fuck that, open dump ftw!
    +1

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Lol I know the noises are sweet but I really want some efficiency. Maybe I'll have the guy put in a cutout for when I wanna party

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SCapelo View Post
    Lol I know the noises are sweet but I really want some efficiency. Maybe I'll have the guy put in a cutout for when I wanna party
    If we ever meet i'll give you a ride in the passenger seat. You'll change your mind.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    My good friend has almost the same setup as you just top mount open dump. It screams, I completely understand why everyone likes it. And after a quick search of course I pull up all the vids of e36haters car making open dump music and i kinda change my mind already lol

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    ahh okay, yea mine comes out right under the pass door. lol you feel it on your feet.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Yeah i definitely gotta hear that lol
    Maybe I'll leave it open with like just enough space to put an elbow and recirc really easy if I wanna stealth mode

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Mine's only loud when it's in boost. Not in boost its actually quieter now than it was NA believe it or not.
    Yeah i definitely gotta hear that lol
    Maybe I'll leave it open with like just enough space to put an elbow and recirc really easy if I wanna stealth mode

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    The turbo robs a lot of that noise so that's good. What did you do for a catch can? I just bought a mishimoto and got a couple inline filters. I'm thinking valve cover - catch can - inline filter - vent filter to atmosphere.

Is does it matter if I put it back into the turbo intake? My old NA m3 I just vented with one filter to atmosphere right off the valve cover and I could always smell it when at a stop light

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    no catch can setup on mine. Does have a filter coming of the vc that vents.
    The turbo robs a lot of that noise so that's good. What did you do for a catch can? I just bought a mishimoto and got a couple inline filters. I'm thinking valve cover - catch can - inline filter - vent filter to atmosphere.

Is does it matter if I put it back into the turbo intake? My old NA m3 I just vented with one filter to atmosphere right off the valve cover and I could always smell it when at a stop light

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    So couple small plans changed. Been going back and forth about waiting for MSPNP or running a obd2 tune and really don't want my car down for most of this year. So I splurged and got an E85 tune package from Zack at 22rpd. What I think I will do is setup the MS next winter and have the obd2 tune to fall back on if I ever want to.

My cars been towed up to the fabricator for exhaust and charge piping to be done and I'll most likely have it back by end of April then my goal is a running & driving car on E85 @ wastegate pressure until I sort whatever bugs out that there are. Currently my fuel setup is a completely stock setup with just Walbro 450 so I just ordered up a e85 compatible fuel filter and fittings to replace the stock filter. Everything else will stay stock while I get it running and driving somewhat comfortably. Then eventually i'll move to an adjustable FPR setup probably by end of summer when I want to slowly turn things up.

Also ordered up a mishimoto catch can and I think that pretty much covers everything needed to get this thing going. Some odds & ends to work out after I get the car back and we should be boosting

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nice. Hope it's done soon.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Big update! Finally got the car back from having the exhaust made up.. long wait but it was worth it!

Downpipe being treated & ceramic coated. Not my manifold

Dump pipe mocked up

Tight fit between the manifold and compressor, but it works!

Before the wrap

Wrapped up and installed the downpipe and wastegate dump

Glued up the IAC port to manifold and installed MaxPSI boost proof hoses

Got BOV and Boost gauge ports tapped & installed nicely

Heres the car when I got it back 2 weeks ago

Its a little tricky getting the turbo mounted up but actually easier than expected

Pulled off to run final line placement and heat reflective tape

This is how she sits for now! Coolant reservoir is temporarily tied up out of the way but secure. Going to have to figure that out eventually. Got new silicone elbows for directly off the turbo and one off the intercooler as well as some new T Bolts to secure it all.

Zack @ 22rpd hooked it up with a 93 tune for now and its running fantastic at about 13~14psi. Tires spin all the way through 2nd. Ordered up some Federal RS-RR and can't wait to install those to finally hook and go. I had 3 people in the car on a beat run (2 of them 220lb +) and 2nd gear felt faster than it ever has LOL.

And I finally got to wash it after a painful 7 months of dust collecting.

Thats all for now! I'll upload a couple of the videos I've gotten so far. So far I've just been enjoying the car. Spent the whole day Sunday driving it around and beating on it and it didn't skip a beat.

The GT40r packs a huge punch around ~4k. Comes on hard and strong all the way to redline. The noises this car makes.. just wow lol
    Had a guy in a 370z try to get past me the other night and I ended up doing a 2nd gear spinning pull with wastegate music right by him. Definitely made my night seeing his face after that one haha

Now I just have some minor things to tidy up so I can run a couple local turbo guys and mustangs that don't know whats coming

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Uploaded some videos to youtube.

First start

https://youtu.be/yTtEFNUeZ5s

Just a couple small issues I ran into so far (besides traction).

The night I first drove it, ended up having a terrible fuel leak. The way the stock obd2 rail is mounted, and the way the ID1300s sit, it causes the rail the tweak at an angle and lose connection at the rail side O-ring. The temp fix was to ziptie the injectors upwards into the rail since they are already too deep into the m50 manifold. On the list of things: Fuel rail and fittings, new lines etc. Spacers for the ID1300s.

Heres a video of me being stuck 2 miles from the shop trying to figure out how to get back without a tow at 11pm lol

https://youtu.be/8eU_Ku93uMs

Got it figured out and got it home. Used the BMW tool kit channel locks to tweak the rail over temporarily to get back. Could've been much worse!

Once that was sorted we headed out to the local meet up and made some magic happen

https://youtu.be/PWLJeI3I5L0

https://youtu.be/Q69fXnymXwU

And then at the end of the night coming home, I decided to do a solid 40-115 in Mexico and heard a poof followed by lack of power lol

https://youtu.be/NgVbMVQaDNo

And thats brings me to today. I'm waiting on another silicone elbow to get any chance of boost leaks eliminated. Trying to get it to the point where I can beat it without worry because I have a run lined up against a buddies e36 6262 s52 on 11psi w/ RK base tune, and another e36 with a Miller tuned 5858 m50 on 14lbs. As well as some randoms that need to learn what these clunkers can do on stock motors

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Holy shit I never knew that video of the blue turbo m3 trolling that m5 was you! That's freaking awesome lol! I remember seeing that video years ago and thinking how awesome it was.

Also your car at 13# will walk away from those other turbo e36s
    Last edited by rajicase; 07-26-2017 at 11:13 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Holy shit I never knew that video of the blue turbo m3 trolling that m5 was you! That's freaking awesome lol! I remember seeing that video years ago and thinking how awesome it was.

Also your car at 13# will walk away from those other turbo e36s
    Yeah man that was me who originally started filming in the car lol. Was my cousins M5 and the owner of the estoril GT4088r M3 is Ned. He was my big inspiration for doing this on my own some day. That car was making over 600whp on a Nick G tune at the time.

And we've all been talking smack for a year or so now while I was getting this thing together lol. These dreams better come true or these rods are gunna have to give it everything they got!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    You will shit all over a 6262 or 5858 e36. At 13# you're probably close to if not at 500whp.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    I don't really have anything to compare it to yet but I've been telling everyone its about ~400 so I don't scare them away lol. Hopefully I get some runs in this weekend

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Made a boost leak tester. Cost = $4.65

Found a few small boost leaks, one between injectors into manifold, then at the MAF seal. Sealed up the MAF with some high performance silicone, then ordered up some rallyroad spacers.

And now shes boost proofed up to 30psi

Now that all of the boost leaks have been fixed its hitting 14-15psi consistantly and spools up way sooner. Still need to make some adjustments to the base tune but its making tons of power and throttle response is better than ever.

Also found a short edelbrock filter that fits with some persuasion

Then met up with a buddy of mine to check out his Supra

His car made 630whp at 17psi, then he went up to 19. Hoping to get up to that level soon

Also finally got my RSRRs in. Just need to find the time to massage the quarters and make them fit with as little camber as possible

I'm really going to miss spinning while pulling on people. It adds to the excitement and really scares the hell out of the guy next to you.
    I ran my buddies 6262 m3 on 11psi and it wasnt even close. We did 5 or 6 40 rolls and I would spin all the way through second, then catch 3rd and roll right past him every time. He wasn't too happy about that and went to go setup his boost controller the same day LOL. Wish we got videos but once he turns it up we'll see what difference it makes.

Also had a customer of mine back into my fender in our shops lot. What a bummer because most of the car is original paint in decent condition. The insurance check should help a bit with parts I've been eyeing lol

Today I went to a local BMW event in Brookline, MA. Everyone had lots of interest in the setup since I was the only turbo e36 there. Lots of classics and meticulously maintained OEM+ers and then my beat up sedan with a huge turbo and a busted up paint job shows up lol.

Then I got back to the shop and found a small coolant leak under the crank pulley. Looks like its time to pony up for a Stewart Water pump and lower temp t-stat. Also ordered up a higher flowing Spal puller and I'm thinking of moving the slim fan to be a pusher for the condenser.

Question: Where do I buy one of those fancy shrouds/mounts for the electric fan? I like the idea of this one but I'd only be interested in the shroud itself https://www.ebay.com/i/112221148754?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Or as a second option I'm thinking of just seeing if Mishimoto will sell me their fancy mounting bracket for their fan shown here https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...pgrade/?pdk=AQ

I see the Zionsville setup but they only list it on their site with the reservoir setup (for lots of money too). I'm looking to take control of these temps because I've been seeing 210-220f and really need all the cooling I can get.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    You will shit all over a 6262 or 5858 e36. At 13# you're probably close to if not at 500whp.
    Bring that noise to the track and see what a 6262 can do at only medium boost.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Bring that noise to the track and see what a 6262 can do at only medium boost.
    I really like my cars current setup and don't feel like dumping another ~2k into the rear end to hit the strip with peace of mind. But it goes like a freight train on the highway. I am going to head to NE Dragway at some point before the end of the season, but I'm going to have to pussy foot it out of the hole lol just to see what kind of trap she can pull

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast