Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Capelo's Green Monster Turbo Build Thread

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo

Capelo's Green Monster Turbo Build Thread

Been a lurker here forever and now I can finally put a thread together for even more motivation & advice.
    The goal is a somewhat reliable 600whp on 93 with room to go higher as needed with E85. All while keeping AC and a bit of stealthiness

97 Boston Green M3/4/5 with the original s52 and a healthy 180k on the clock.

-Stock Internal S52 3.2L
    -Cutring HG w/ Spacer
    -ARP Head studs
    -Garrett GT4088r Ball Bearing T4
    -Top secret Otisfold Top Mount Manifold (he still hasnt listed it on his site yet lol)
    -Tial 44mm Wastegate
    -Synapse BOV
    -ID 1300 Injectors
    -Precision Intercooler
    -Innovate LC1 Wideband
    -Southbend Stage 4 Clutch w/ new OEM Dual mass flywheel
    -M50 Manifold
    -Walbro 450 from rallyroad on stock fuel setup
    -22RPD Tunage
    -3.5" Downpipe & full exhaust
    -Vibrant 3.5" Muffler & resonator
    -Turner Motorsport 3 core Radiator
    -Spal E-Fan
    -Solid Poly Bushings everywhere possible except engine / trans mounts
    -3.23LSD 3 Clutch Mod (Butters built)
    -BC Coilovers
    -UUC Sway Barbarians Front & Rear
    -Strut Braces Front & Rear
    -AKG Adjustbile Rear Lower Control Arms
    -Rtab Limiters
    -1080 Gloss Carbon Fiber Vinyl Roof Wrap
    -Full Carbon Fiber color matched LTW Highrise

Purchased the car almost a year ago while on vacation in Florida then made the trip up to Boston without a hitch. I was daily driving it up until a couple months ago. I've been piecing the car together with parts here and there that allowed me to keep dailying the car with little down time. Got the whole suspension sorted first, then the Southbend clutch was installed and the last bit installed was the Walbro 450 all on the NA Motor.

My plan is to get this turbo build finished up for spring time as I have since parked the car to hide from New England's Salt Wrath of a winter!
    Car is currently awaiting an open lift in the shop to come in for the HG job and begin the install of this sexy Top Mount manifold.
    Just ordered some heat wrap and reflective tape from PTP Turbo Blankets and will get rolling on that to get some more prep out of the way.

Anyways! Onto some pix
    The Green Machine earlier this year

After the LTW Wing install

First Track night with the car. Ran a best of 14.5 on the old tired NA S52 lol

Winter Mode FTL

And Finally some of the parts collection.

Excuse some of my potato pics. Working on getting more pics setup to post on here. Can't wait to install all this crap - especially that pnp megasquirt so I can start tinkering. I'm really excited to learn the tuning aspect as well as just generally turboing an e36 which has been a goal of mine for easily the last 6 years or so.

Follow me on IG if you have it @capeloo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SCapelo; 12-27-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Subscribed. Looks like I better get my stuff together sooner than later.
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Boston green <3

How do you think the stock s52 will hold at 600+?

3" exhaust makes no sense for your power goals. 3.5" exhaust would be a huge improvement.

You running stock fpr?
    Last edited by rajicase; 01-01-2017 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Infammus 1 View Post
    Subscribed. Looks like I better get my stuff together sooner than later.
    Yes you should! We need eachothers motivations lol
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Boston green <3

I am likely going to run it until it quits on the stock engine. It seems like just rods are the weak point so when it comes time I'll slap some rods in and keep going.
    I have a spare s52 if need be but I really think it'd be a waste to build it if the original internals are still in good shape
    97 Turbo 3.2L M3 - Cutring / ARP - RSI Top Mount - Gt4088r - ID1300 - Tial WG - 22RPD Tuned - 93 Octane - 3.5" Stainless

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Boston green <3

3" exhaust makes no sense for your power goals. 3.5" exhaust would be a huge improvement.

You running stock fpr?
    E36Hater made 700+ on a crappy 3in exhaust with a smaller displacement motor, so it's possible. But you are correct, 3.5" would be better.
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Infammus 1 View Post

E36Hater made 700+ on a crappy 3in exhaust with a smaller displacement motor, so it's possible. But you are correct, 3.5" would be better.
    It's not a matter of will 3" make 600+ .. you could make 600+ on 2.5.

But the gains from a bigger exhaust at that power level is massive. 3.5" over 3" could be 75whp difference. Also, spool will improve and throttle response will improve.

If starting from scratch I think it'd be silly not to go 3.5" with his goals.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    It's not a matter of will 3" make 600+ .. you could make 600+ on 2.5.

But the gains from a bigger exhaust at that power level is massive. 3.5" over 3" could be 75whp difference. Also, spool will improve and throttle response will improve.

If starting from scratch I think it'd be silly not to go 3.5" with his goals.
    I have contemplated going full 3.5" but I ended up getting the 3" exhaust stuff as part of a deal and already have it. Is it a big deal to do 3.5" into and out of the 3" res and muffler?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SCapelo View Post

I have contemplated going full 3.5" but I ended up getting the 3" exhaust stuff as part of a deal and already have it. Is it a big deal to do 3.5" into and out of the 3" res and muffler?
    Read that article, it's an interesting read. They were seeing solid gains just from switching the rear section from 3 to 3.5.
    And significant gains from going from full 3" to full 3.5"

You got a lot of nice parts, it seems like 3" is leaving a lot of power and response on the table.

I'd sell the 3" stuff and make yourself a nice 3.5" exhaust from the beginning.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    That's a good point, I did read that article I just figured to use what I have but maybe I'll try to sell and go 3.5 to start. I do currently have the complete stock fuel setup including fpr running in the car with just the walbro 450 on the rallyroad kit. Runs just as good as ever.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    i bet its pretty tight to do a 3.5" on a E36, i have done 3" and it was tight.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    i bet its pretty tight to do a 3.5" on a E36, i have done 3" and it was tight.
    It's not bad as long as your car isn't slammed.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    I wonder about my engine bay too being topmount

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    So do you plan on 600whp with just 93?
    No meth or e85? (Initially)

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Initially yes just 93 then eventually I want to use the flex fuel setup on the megasquirt to go to e85 and high boost when I feel necessary. Would be awesome to push the 700whp Mark on e85 and all stock s52 internals.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Initially yes just 93 then eventually I want to use the flex fuel setup on the megasquirt to go to e85 and high boost when I feel necessary. Would be awesome to push the 700whp Mark on e85 and all stock s52 internals.
    Agree. Are you confident that straight 93 will handle 600?

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Yeah I feel like that has been done over and over. For how long I'm not sure but we shall see. I really don't want to deal with meth I feel like it's as cumbersome as dealing with nitrous but without all the danger lol

My Cars
    1995 M3 Drag C4 Auto
    Precision 7675, 4 inch exhaust, ATI balancer, oil pump tensioner of some sort....800 rwhp?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Yeah I feel like that has been done over and over. For how long I'm not sure but we shall see. I really don't want to deal with meth I feel like it's as cumbersome as dealing with nitrous but without all the danger lol
    You can make 600 w/o meth. Many have, MilkT good example. Its much much safer, and efficient with a simple meth kit. As your motor shows any signs of knock, (not always audible), you will be pulling timing and leaving power on the table for sure. Especially doing pull after pull.
    There really are no downsides to water/meth injection.
    As I've mentioned, I myself was totally against it. But after first hand experience at the track (several times) watching my trap speeds drop with every run, it confirmed what others were trying to get through to me. Pbonsalb, modaddict, chiknhed, CES, NickG, and others.
    I tried so hard to disprove the need for water injection to cure my loss in power at the track. This was after only one run too. Not like I was hot lapping by any means. I wrapped my pipes (all of them) tried all kinds of reflective tapes and colors etc etc.
    My $0.02 is, its much safer with a cheap kit progressive that is. Then without. Well worth the $300 and a few hrs install.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    I agree but where I have eventual plans to go e85 with my higher goals I'd rather not even bother. That corn juice would fix all my problems for what I need and I kind of want to keep it simple.

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    Man if I ever win a lotto I'm gonna hire Butterscotch to build my e36 he's a griot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Got some more stuff done

Heat wrap came in so I got the manifold wrapped up as best I could with minimal waste

Finally got cleared up with work in the shop so the car came inside for the build

Found the reason for my rough run on cold starts

Started the tear down of a perfectly good running 20 year old S52. (These things are dinosaurs now )

Fortunate to have a shop to work in this time of year, especially with this forecast

Next on the list is to clean up the head & block and prep for the cut ring / arp hg setup. Then I can get my manifold and turbo mounted and figure out some piping and how I am going to keep AC & washer fluid lol. I'll probably pull my front bumper and get the precision intercooler installed this week. Anyone know if its worth it to get a new AUX fan for the AC? Will my 16" Spal cover radiator and condensor enough to keep me cool at a dead stop this summer? Or should I plan on getting another slim fan to fit inbetween intercooler & condensor?

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    Nice! Good stuff, 3 inch with an externally dumped gate is fine for 600whp, I did it on 20psi on mikes superflow dyno that many have confirmed to read low.

You're setup is going to work but on hot days there may e detonation, when those iats get up there theres only so much 93 can withstand, your best bet is a very efficient and large IC and mechanical water injection preturbo. If you wanted to spend a little more and go meth at the manifold thats also a good idea.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    Nice! Good stuff, 3 inch with an externally dumped gate is fine for 600whp, I did it on 20psi on mikes superflow dyno that many have confirmed to read low.

You're setup is going to work but on hot days there may e detonation, when those iats get up there theres only so much 93 can withstand, your best bet is a very efficient and large IC and mechanical water injection preturbo. If you wanted to spend a little more and go meth at the manifold thats also a good idea.
    But how much more would you have made with a 3.5" ? I would bet it would have been pretty significant. I agree 3" is fine, but if starting from scratch I would go 3.5" .. I know that's what I wish I had done.

My Cars
    E36 M3 Turbo
    Hater what do you think about downpipe spacing for 3.5"? Is it even possible in the engine bay? I might just go 3.5 inch to the 3" res and muffler I have and change it later.
    I really want to spend the money on some other stuff instead now that I'm deep into this build $$$$ lol.
    Or do most people start at 3inch until down by the trans with our cars?

I really want to avoid meth just for simplicity/cost but who knows. I'll focus on making power first I then add some more reliability & consistancy with meth eventually if that's what it takes.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast