Thread: E30 Knocking Noise

My Cars
    E30 1992 325ic

E30 Knocking Noise

Hey guys,

Its a really sad day for me. I was driving my E30 (1988 convertible) towards Houston Texas from San Jose California.

From San Jose to Tucson Arizona, it ran 100% totally fine after the engine head gasket/head was machined etc. On the way from tucson to houston, my car broke down because the alternator stopped working. Im currently stuck in the small town of Willcox (arizona 60+ miles from tucson). We had the alternator replaced today and the car ran fine for a bit.

I noticed the engine oil light on the instrument cluster was on so I pulled over checked the stick and it was fine.

While I started driving down the highway at 60, there was a slight jutter but I didnt pay attention to it and I pulled it to 100mph. Ran great, I was really happy and everything. However, when I started to slow down, and bring it back from 100 to around 60-80, the car would jutter and shake like crazy. I immediately pulled off the next exit and brought it back to Willcox. When I got off the highway and stopped at the traffic light, the car killed itself. I turned it back on and brought it to the mechanic.

Once I parked it infront of the mechanic who changed my alternator, there was a trail about 20 feet of oil behind the car.
    The engine oil pan was leaking and when I looked under the car, the oil pan plug was totally gone. The engine oil was pouring out of the car.

I ran to the autozone and got a new bolt and 20w50 engine oil to put into the car. Once the bolt was tightened properly, I turned it over and the engine knocks like crazy.

Im currently stranded in this town with no way home and I was wondering if its safe to drive it to at least tucson to rent a car or do something.

What should I do? 18 year old college student with limited funds and 3 friends with me. We are all under 21 and we need advice or help.

Thanks everyone.

How does the bolt just come off like that? Prior to the start of my trip, the mechanic did an oil change for me. Do you think he didnt tighten it on properly?

My Cars
    1986 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenthal View Post
    Hey guys,

Its a really sad day for me. I was driving my E30 (1988 convertible) towards Houston Texas from San Jose California.

From San Jose to Tucson Arizona, it ran 100% totally fine after the engine head gasket/head was machined etc. On the way from tucson to houston, my car broke down because the alternator stopped working. Im currently stuck in the small town of Willcox (arizona 60+ miles from tucson). We had the alternator replaced today and the car ran fine for a bit.

I noticed the engine oil light on the instrument cluster was on so I pulled over checked the stick and it was fine.

While I started driving down the highway at 60, there was a slight jutter but I didnt pay attention to it and I pulled it to 100mph. Ran great, I was really happy and everything. However, when I started to slow down, and bring it back from 100 to around 60-80, the car would jutter and shake like crazy. I immediately pulled off the next exit and brought it back to Willcox. When I got off the highway and stopped at the traffic light, the car killed itself. I turned it back on and brought it to the mechanic.

Once I parked it infront of the mechanic who changed my alternator, there was a trail about 20 feet of oil behind the car.
    The engine oil pan was leaking and when I looked under the car, the oil pan plug was totally gone. The engine oil was pouring out of the car.

I ran to the autozone and got a new bolt and 20w50 engine oil to put into the car. Once the bolt was tightened properly, I turned it over and the engine knocks like crazy.

Im currently stranded in this town with no way home and I was wondering if its safe to drive it to at least tucson to rent a car or do something.

What should I do? 18 year old college student with limited funds and 3 friends with me. We are all under 21 and we need advice or help.

Thanks everyone.

How does the bolt just come off like that? Prior to the start of my trip, the mechanic did an oil change for me. Do you think he didnt tighten it on properly?
    Bummer deal man.... Definitely possible the mechanic didn't tighten the bolt all the way. Sounds like those bolts are notorious for breaking off easily so he might have been overly cautious. Was there any signs of metal shavings in your oil spill? Could of spun a bearing which would cause a knock. I wouldn't drive the thing with a knock. Could be asking to give your bottom end a brand new glory hole.

My Cars
    E30 1992 325ic
    Just a side note - I put new oil (4 quarts) into the car and I turned it over - when it runs it works at over 1000rpm but anything under the car kills itself.

All the threads where the plug is supposed to go is present and accounted for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BFT Boyle View Post
    Bummer deal man.... Definitely possible the mechanic didn't tighten the bolt all the way. Sounds like those bolts are notorious for breaking off easily so he might have been overly cautious. Was there any signs of metal shavings in your oil spill? Could of spun a bearing which would cause a knock. I wouldn't drive the thing with a knock. Could be asking to give your bottom end a brand new glory hole.
    Thanks man. I guess ill find another way home.
    Last edited by Siebenthal; 12-30-2016 at 06:04 PM.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Put the rest of the oil in and some slick50. Might be enough to get you home if you keep the rpms from climbing to much. I have been in the boat you are in, slick50 could get you home aince a straight 6 is so smooth running
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e30 e28 e60 k1200gt
    that sucks - if it knocked at all - u got issues - if not now u will later & soon -
    lets put it this way - if u were in fla & body in good / fair shape - i'd buy it from ya (needs new eng) - so u could fly hm.
    this is why NO ONE ever touches my cars except me - oil change dude - most likely over tightened drain bolt to stop oil leak - because they did not change copper ring & stripped threads or cracked bolt or did not tighten to specs.
    bummer dude - not a good way to start a new yr

My Cars
    e30s
    Hey guys,

Thanks everyone.

if you got knocking there is no point in being overly cautious. the damage is done. Drive it home knocking with slick 50 as someone stated. the worse you will do is seize the engine closer to home, but from what I know of e30 blocks they are pretty strong. You may have spun a main bearing.

Get it home- remove and rebuild or replace engine.

as for the pan bolt. It shook itself loose from vibration due to not tightening enough or not at all. plain and simple.

My experience; Overtighten could strip the treads with a new seal ring or not. but worse case it will drip -varying degrees. never lost the bolt.

A pan bolt falling out? definitely not tightened enough... or mechanic forgot to tighten all together. has happened. Take it back immediately he's liable for his fuck up.

Personally, I have never seen the pan crack at the threads with over tightening. bolt will pull threads out before cracking the mating surface;

My Cars
    e30, e61
    Definitely sounds like the mechanic forgot to tighten the threads. I realize this is a few days late, but my first action would have been to call the mechanic that did the work and explain that the drain plug fell out while you were driving and ask them how you would like the vehicle delivered to them on their dime. They won't be happy, but this is their fault and they should have insurance for exactly this sort of instance.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Since nobody has mentioned it, the oil light on the cluster is a low pressure warning. That means the car was running with low pressure and the bearings are most likely toast. I see this all the time with the race cars; if in doubt, pull over and shut the car off, then wait to find out what's up. Unfortunately, this is the downside of driving on. Hopefully the shop will offer to help you out die to the cause of the incident.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    518 E34 and W124
    If it is a jar like and exclamation mark sign, that's definitely a low pressure sign I know your trouble as on the same day 30th last month just before starting my journey mine flickered and i poured out all the oil in the engine through the oil filter housing!! It was ticking when cold but stopped when warm. Well sorry but probably the damage is already done(as on mine) but lucky for you the shop seems liable.

My Cars
    E30 1992 325ic
    Shit. The problem is that the guy that worked on my car did it from his house. I plan on towing it to his place tomorrow to show him the issue and confront him. However, I need to return the Uhaul -(my friend bought a tahoe and towed it back from willcox to san jose.

How do I confront him?

My Cars
    e30 e28 e60 k1200gt
    i cant state how i would do it - i dont like jail - neither should u
    it sucks - but maybe chalk it up to - do it ur self next time or find a real mechanic - lots of us around.
    i wish u luck - - violence never helps - think 1st.
    dont go alone - bring a real BIG friend & record it - dont know ur st laws - but sm claims court is a option.

My Cars
    E30 1992 325ic
    Yeah, hes actually a nice guy.

One quick note. The first time we started the engine, I was there and the engine oil light was on. He asked me if that was on prior to the rebuild and I said no. Once we put gas on it, the engine oil light turned off and it drove fine. Ever since the rebuild, it idles rough and sounds like it has asthma.

Today, im going there at 5pm to talk to him and try to explain my situation and hopefully get my money back. Sadly, the money I paid is not enough to pay a real shop to complete the job. I dont think he can afford to pay the real shop to help fix my car. I sympathize with his situation but I dont have a running/driving car to get to school with anymore. E30 is gonna take a break but im not giving up on this thing. Im gonna work more hours and bring it back.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that when the engine is in idle and the light comes up its because the engine doesnt collect enough pressure.

My Cars
    are slow
    Did it ever get you home?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    Did it ever get you home?
    Yes, more updates please!? I'm on the edge of my seat

My Cars
    E30 1992 325ic
    Sorry for the late reply - I totally forgot to reply to this thread after I got back.

Well, long story short my friend who wrecked his jeep patriot a month before the road trip had my back and told me that he would buy a car in arizona to tow my e30 back to san jose. After taking a greyhound from Wilcox to Phoenix, we found a chevy tahoe - bought it and uhauled my car back. I feel so sad about that car. I parted out what I could and it went to pick n pull.

I ended buying an e30 for 1600 (manual) - sold it for 2000 and bought an e30 with 62k miles on the clock.

In short, that purple e30 taught me a lot of life lessons that the once and still naive me did not know. Moving to America from Toronto, Canada - I realized I was too trusting with people repairing my car. Trying to take the cost-effective route when it really wasnt worth it in the first place.

Total losses on that e30 (2400 for car - automatic)
    Bad head gasket 1600
    Brakes/trans seal 1300
    Misc - 500

pretty much almost 6k loss on that car.

Still recovering from that today - but after that car blew up on me - I started working on e30s and I changed the timing belt on my current e30.

From the start of this post to now, I learned alot and Im reading the forums or going on youtube to find information.

So far, Ive changed the timing belt/redone the cooling system/brake job on my e30

Changed the timing belt on a Honda civic

Removed the manual transmission from my 525i e34 parts car.

Im in the process of a manual swap for my wagon

But I guess, at the end - I owe it all to that purple e30 that taught me the lesson of trust, value, friendship and hard work.

IMG_9735.jpeg

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Well that's a bright side of it
    Excellent.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Good way of looking at it!
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    it sucks what happened, it really does. it also sucks you got screwed over from someone, that's even worse. glad you are working on your own stuff now though.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3
    Moving to America from Toronto, Canada - I realized I was too trusting with people repairing my car.
    Are you living in Toronto now? If so, come out this Saturday to the big E30 cruise and meet and you'll likely make a few good wrenching buddies for your trouble.

My Cars
    E30 1992 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
    Are you living in Toronto now? If so, come out this Saturday to the big E30 cruise and meet and you'll likely make a few good wrenching buddies for your trouble.

Sorry for the late reply! I wish I still lived in Toronto! I grew up in the Richmond Hill area and I left Toronto August 2016 for college in San Jose California. I might be driving to toronto in my e30 or e34 summer 2018!