Thread: Dodgy speed sensor?

My Cars
    X3 2.0d msport

Dodgy speed sensor?

Hello folks I'm stuck and need held, it started two days ago I was driving along when I got abs 4x4 and handbrake light all came on together in yellow carried on for a few miles (busy A road) then the tire warning light also came on and lost speedo so pulled up in a carpark, as I reversed into a space it was clunking from rear passenger side so straight on phone and got it recovered home. I scanned the car this morning and bought up rear passenger speed sensor fault so shot over to euro car parts got a replacement and fitted it today, after fitting I got back in cleared all codes, did the lock to lock steering reset thing I've read about but still had 3 lights on but the tire light had gone out and speedo was working. Then I took it down road with live data running all wheels showing same speeds and steering angle sensor fine, I then parked it up to have another read on here and found it could be alternator no working properly, got back in started it all lights gone like magic! Drove for a few miles with live data checking voltage to be sure and that was fine and then boom all lights come back on and back wheel clunking When cornering again! Sorry its a bit long winded story but trying to get everything in, After scanning faults again its bringing up same sensor again? Could I have bought a dodgy sensor and is there a way I could check wiring past where the sensor plugs in (little blue connector) I have a decent multimeter to check it. I have read about the little plastic cog in the transfer box as well but I've been under car with it running,turning off and starting and this defo no clicking sound I'm running out of ideas so any help greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Your triad of lights, (ABS, 4x4 & handbrake), are most always indicators of a problem with your transfer case actuator, It's a common problem with X3's. Take a look at this youtube video for how to repair. I've done this repair on my X3 and it's not that difficult. Once the cog wears out completely, you may not hear the clicking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_S8VP4CVho
    I'm not so sure that the speedo issue and the light triad are related....it may be co-incidental...or it could be related....don't really know.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    X3 2.0d msport
    OK thank you I'll try and get one on order today

- - - Updated - - -

Hi I've ordered one of them new plastic cogs today but not be here till for about 10 days so had another look at the new speed sensor this morning and it looks as if the end had been slightly scuffed by the abs ring so it looks like hub off and either clean abs ring or a new one. I also noticed my spring has broke the very last coil off just wondered if that could be affecting the 4x4 system any body else had this issue?

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Brentx3msport View Post
    OK thank you I'll try and get one on order today

- - - Updated - - -

Hi I've ordered one of them new plastic cogs today but not be here till for about 10 days so had another look at the new speed sensor this morning and it looks as if the end had been slightly scuffed by the abs ring so it looks like hub off and either clean abs ring or a new one. I also noticed my spring has broke the very last coil off just wondered if that could be affecting the 4x4 system any body else had this issue?
    Broken springs are another common issue with X3's. A friend of mine recently had a broken rear spring and he replaced both rears. Don't see how a broken spring would be related to your other issues..but who knows. Can't advise on your speed sensor and abs ring.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    X3 2.0d msport
    Thanks 91e34M5 I'll update sometime next week when ive sorted all bits we've spoke about thanks again

My Cars
    X3 2.0d msport
    Just to let people know it was the abs ring had corroded and swollen up hitting the abs/speed sensor causing all my problems. Just had new drive shaft and abs ring fitted and everything's now fine.