RM European Auto Parts
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: M62TU "Function Inlet Camshaft Control Bank 2"

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Some update: trying to solve the same problem. Unfortunately JimLev's method didnt help. I managed to get the angle below 10 degree by slightly adjusting the timing wheel CW:

But still getting the same error code:

I have rechecked the timing with two separate tools, have a brand new solenoid and no slack on driver side. Everything looks perfect. The only thing I havent replaced yet is the VANOS unit itself. Also noticed a cold rattle coming likely from bank 2, that's probably also pointing towards the VANOS unit, right?

Jim: do you think that I can replace the unit without retiming the whole engine? I think it's possible, but never tried it (doing it cautiously not jump a teeth). Hope bmwdirtracer not listening to this idea

Thanks!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    George, did you try to post a few pics? They aren't working.
    Looks like you may have more issues than just the trigger wheel being off a few deg.
    How many deg does INPA say your off by? IIRC you need to be less than 5 deg off or you'll get the code.
    Questions....
    Did you replace the vanos rings? If so did you put the large washer in between the two parts of the vanos?
    Did you help the cam blocks pressed against the back of the heads while you were tightening the vanos and exhaust sprockets?
    Did you make sure the vanos was fully retarded before you tightened the center bolts?
    Have you watched the video I posted on timing the tu engine? You might see something you possibly missed.

Replacing the vanos without retiming the engine? I've done it before I had a set of timing tools, no codes.
    I wouldn't attempt it unless you know exactly what your doing. Using the tools is the best way however you must be doing something not 100% correct if you are still getting a code.

Bmwdirtracer, hopefully you can add some content too.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    George, did you try to post a few pics? They aren't working.
    Looks like you may have more issues than just the trigger wheel being off a few deg.
    How many deg does INPA say your off by? IIRC you need to be less than 5 deg off or you'll get the code.
    Questions....
    Did you replace the vanos rings? If so did you put the large washer in between the two parts of the vanos?
    Did you help the cam blocks pressed against the back of the heads while you were tightening the vanos and exhaust sprockets?
    Did you make sure the vanos was fully retarded before you tightened the center bolts?
    Have you watched the video I posted on timing the tu engine? You might see something you possibly missed.

Replacing the vanos without retiming the engine? I've done it before I had a set of timing tools, no codes.
    I wouldn't attempt it unless you know exactly what your doing. Using the tools is the best way however you must be doing something not 100% correct if you are still getting a code.

Bmwdirtracer, hopefully you can add some content too.
    Strange, it shows the pictures to me. I thought the limit was 10 degree.
    Trying to do pictures this way:
    DSC06929.jpg

The answer is yes for all your questions, I followed the Beisan site when doing it. The engine runs otherwise beautifully but this error message is not going away:

DSC06928.jpg

Didnt connect INPA after the latest round, but if you think it could help to identify the issue I can do it.
    It has to be something with the VANOS unit itself (I did the 40Nm with the tool, it was fully retarded, had the washer etc). Cause timing looks perfect, checked with two different set of tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    What did you tighten to 40nm?
    Forgot to ask you if you manually turned the engine over by hand 2-3 revs and then put the timing tools back on to verify the trigger wheels read correctly.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    What did you tighten to 40nm?
    Forgot to ask you if you manually turned the engine over by hand 2-3 revs and then put the timing tools back on to verify the trigger wheels read correctly.
    Sorry for late reply, I didnt notice that you replied, really appreciate it.
    There is this tool with pins that you need to put into the VANOS unit and turn 40Nm to get the unit into a fully retarded position. I think it was 40Nm according to TIS? This is before you tighten the nut on the timing wheel, also 40Nm if I recall correctly.
    I have a leaking heat exchanger at the moment and cant start it up until replaced, should be getting it next week.
    Engine was turned over zillion times cause I'm using the car. When I put the engine back into TDC with flywheel pin and remove bank2 cover the timing banks slide on without any problem.
    I'm thinking to get a new (rebuilt) VANOS unit and a new timing wheel, cause I have no idea what else could be causing this.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I think you have it backwards, the tool is inserted into the center to turn the vanos all the way CCW. You then torque the center bolt.
    The trigger wheel nut is the last thing you tighten.
    About the turning the engine over, this is done by hand to verify that the trigger wheels are in the correct position.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I think you have it backwards, the tool is inserted into the center to turn the vanos all the way CCW. You then torque the center bolt.
    The trigger wheel nut is the last thing you tighten.
    About the turning the engine over, this is done by hand to verify that the trigger wheels are in the correct position.
    You are right, there is no really other way to do it.
    My point on turning over the engine by hand that it had been turned over many times since I did the timing by actually using the car and everything appears to be in correct position.
    The timing banks slide on when in TDC and I can push an allen key thru the inspection hole into the hole on the timing wheel at the same time.
    Still, I'm getting this error message.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    An Allen key thru the hole as well as the hole in the trigger wheel has slop in it. IIRC the hole in the trigger wheel is more of an oval than a round hole.
    Even the real alignment tools can have some error in them, especially if you don't keep the cam lock blocks fixed to the heads. All these little errors add up.
    If you got the error below 10 deg sounds like your going in the correct direction. What was your error before you turned the wheel?
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-14-2018 at 09:11 AM.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    By adjusting the wheel manually so far I managed to get -20, -12 +12 and now +7 degrees. But the error message always remained the same: 22 Function Inlet Camshaft Control Bank 2, or 34 in INPA.
    Yes, there is a slop in that hole, but I thought being at +7 degrees is in the range. Apparently not, or something else is causing it.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Pretty sure you need to be less than 5 deg or you'll get the code.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    My bank1 is at +7 and not getting the error, see below (I was still adjusting bank 2 when I made the photo, bank2 is also at +7 now):

DSC06923 12.jpg

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    See if it is OK after starting it 3 times.
    I'd tweek it a little bit more.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Very hard moving it only 1-2 degrees, it's less than a mm.
    Anyway, I got a new VANOS unit, new timing wheel and even a new nut for the timing wheel. Will replace them and see what happens.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Replaced in bank 2 the VANOS unit & the timing wheel and even the nut on the timing wheel (was cheap anyway).
    Used the special tool to set the timing wheel in place, got +10 degree this time.
    Getting same error message as always: "22 Function Inlet Camshaft Control Bank 2"

I will retime both banks again next weekend using JimLev's video, I'm running out of ideas

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Just reporting back, it was the VANOS unit. Retimed both banks after replacing the unit and no more error codes. Thanks for your help!

My Cars
    Bmw
    How need to be oil pressure on idle with warm engine?i have 1bar on my m62tub.thanks

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by ar85gyl View Post
    How need to be oil pressure on idle with warm engine?i have 1bar on my m62tub.thanks
    That sounds ok.

My Cars
    1995 740I, 2000 540I
    Hello, anywhere to find a good deal on vanos units? Good quality .

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Welcome to the forum Carmelo.
    I rebuild them using Beisan System seals.
    I’ll send you a PM.

My Cars
    E38 M62B44TU
    Hello, I have two codes.
    Camshaft control (is it mean bank 1)
    Camshaft control bank 2
    Bank 1 Inpa reading +0.5 degree
    Bank 2 reading -5.4 degree (no good), that's mean over advanced and I must do rotate trigger wheel CCW to receive 0 degree? Inspection hole at timing chain cover is good practice or not?
    I received the codes, after vanos rebuild, and everything and timing are making correctly and all procedures are followed correctly without turn the engine after timing.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    The inspection hole isn’t that accurate.
    If your sure the crank was locked at TDC and the cams were also locked (and didn’t move) then the trigger wheel is slightly off.
    Score the trigger wheel and the vanos so you know where you started from then turn the trigger wheel ~5°.

My Cars
    E38 M62B44TU
    The inspection hole isn’t that accurate.
    If your sure the crank was locked at TDC and the cams were also locked (and didn’t move) then the trigger wheel is slightly off.
    Score the trigger wheel and the vanos so you know where you started from then turn the trigger wheel ~5°.
    Ok, understand CCW right?
    And another Inpa error Camshaft control? ( Is it bank 1 or some summary for not working one of each bank?) Because in bank 1 degree is correct, needed to open the valve cover or only bank 2 cover?
    Thank you

My Cars
    E38 M62B44TU
    IMG_20220613_094623.jpgIMG_20220613_094615.jpgIMG_20220613_091936.jpgIMG_20220613_091936.jpg

So, Update...finally I got my own INPA, and view live data...and see this...bank2 is -6.deg...and vanos on both bank don't move at higher RPM,I have 33,34 code for error. What can I do? Bank 1 degree is ok, but why I have error ???Is it possible, when one bank degree is not ok ECU shut down VANOS control on both bank??? Is it problem only in bank 2 ? PLS help me
    Last edited by georgipass; 06-13-2022 at 07:07 AM.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    An error on either bank will shut down both vanos.
    I’d retime the engine.

My Cars
    E38 M62B44TU
    I think, first to open only bank 2 valve cover, to put cam blocks, flywheel pin, and finally if everything is ok to adjust trigger wheel? But I'm confused in what direction start to rotate, when read negative -6 deg. on bank 2 . Clockwise ???
    Is a good plan?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast