Thread: Zed 3 2002 3.0 Yaw sensor

My Cars
    Zed3, e28, e70

Zed 3 2002 3.0 Yaw sensor

Hey y'all, Happy holidays!
    Ive been having the DSC/brake light issue on my 2002 Z 3.0 roadster.
    I read the codes and got the following.

5E4F = continuous control
    5E3C = rotation signal
    5E38 = Rotation rate

I removed the driver seat located the yaw sensor and removed it.
    On various post confirm a bad yaw sensor would cause the these codes. I'm pricing some now and would like some input. Anyone has gone down this path that can confirm. Also, there's another sensor bolted
    near the yaw sensor, does anyone know what this is?
    Thanks for any information.

- - - Updated - - -

Insges to come

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    BTDT, usually caused by the well filling with water. The other sensor is the lateral accel sensor.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    The yaw sensor went out on my car a few years back due to trying to clean a carpet stain with a "steam" cleaner. Lucky for me I only fried the yaw sensor. Since I do not have the program to reset the chassis codes, I went to an indi-shop and paid about $300 or so for the diagnosis, the new part, installation, and reset. I now clean the carpets with "dry" sprays and a vacuum.

The more likely reason the sensors get fried is due to rain or wash water leaking into the cabin due to poorly sealing seals. I do not take the Z3 out in heavy rain if I can help it, but if I have to, I bring a couple of beach towels just in case. My side window seals with drip a little if the rain is exceptionally hard and persistent. I'm talking about a tablespoon or two, but I am a little now paranoid. BMW could have mounted the sensors up on the console, but nooooooooooooooo!

2018 update: I’ve since resealed the top of the top seal plugs (above the windshield) and drips inside are rare now. I still carry some towels around just in case.
    Last edited by 2002Z3; 11-04-2018 at 03:35 AM.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    Zed3, e28, e70
    Update! It's been about a month & 1200 miles since I replaced the yaw sensor w/ the blues label. I got one off of a retired 330i, it's working like a charm no codes or the previous issues. thanks guys!!!

My Cars
    Zed3, e28, e70
    Is there a way to check the yaw sensors to verify its in good working order?

My Cars
    -
    If the module doesn't throw an error, it's good.

My Cars
    2000 z3
    Nice job. I had the same problem with my 2000 z3 2.5 convert. Took me a while to get it sort it out but now all is well. Once I had everything back together and working I disassembled the old yaw sensor with a dremel tool and sure enough the pizo-mechanical sensor was broken and laying in the bottom of the can inside the sensor. Hopefully you will not have any more problems with it for some time. Chuter

My Cars
    Zed3, e28, e70
    My main concerns are, is there a way to bench test the yaw sensor as you would a
    relay. I did get a brake DSC code that didn’t stay or returned since. Being the yaw
    installed is from a donor car,
    I’d like to have a known working spare on hand just incase.

My Cars
    2000 z3
    As far as I know there is no way to bench check the sensor. You would have to duplicate the vehicle in a running condition, would be very complicated. I would not worry to much about it failing again. If all works ok then put it out of your mind, after all unless you drive the hell out of it it is not life threatening. Vaccume the carpet and call it done. Chuter

My Cars
    Zed3, e28, e70
    Thank you!
    JUST A TAD BIT OF INFO ID LIKE TO SHARE.
    I don’t beat it up too much, but when I’m getting down into the nitty gritty; the last thing I need is the DSC & brake lights coming on and you feel the brakes applying at different wheels. I hate that especially if im launching or just cruising. In the mean time I’ll just disengage the DSC before pulling off, ($1,200 part @ the dealer) once the wheels start turning that’s when the signal reading begins. Once that happens you gotta turn the Car off in order for the light to go out. Sometimes it doesn’t. Either way I still enjoy this roadster. ��

My Cars
    2000 z3
    I am a little confused. Are you saying that you are still having a problem with the DSC system? I thought you stated that you replaced the yaw sensor and all was well. Why do you have to disable the DSC system when you start out? Once you disable the system it should stay off until you turn it back on with the pushbutton switch. When the light is off the system is turned on, when the light is on the system is turned off. The system should never turn off or on by itself, if it does you still have a problem. Hope this helps, Chuter

My Cars
    Zed3, e28, e70
    Sorry for the confusion & the long story.
    What I’m saying is back in 7/2017 last year. I got a used one from a 330i. I installed it on the Zed3 (I never tested but I got lucky) it ran well no codes for an entire year. Mind you it’s used from a junk 330i; I dnt know the mileage. Then a week ago (a year later) I was driving and the brakes & DSC light came on. I turn the car off and started it back up, (the only way to make the lights go away is to turn the key off completely) but before I started driving I would push the switch to disengage the DSC control this way it won’t trigger the code while I’m driving. So now I’ve been pushing the switch to turn the DSC off before letting the wheels turn because that’s when the system starts looking for signal. So I’m basically driving with the traction control off. I got my hands on 2 more used ones but I wanted to test them 1st. I’d hate to put em in and they are bad. It’s a lot of work to remove and install them.

My Cars
    2000 z3
    Now I understand. It all makes sense now. I would say the sensor is bad again. If it were mine I would put another sensor in and hope for the best. If that doesn't fix it then the problem is elsewhere. You can't afford to buy a new one at a grand. It is a pain to install. I did run mine the same way for awhile buy just turning it off before moving the vehicle. I'm sure you will get it sorted out though. Good luck, Chuter

good luck, Chuter

My Cars
    2001 Dr
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEBETTSYE28 View Post
    Thank you!
    In the mean time I’ll just disengage the DSC before pulling off, ($1,200 part @ the dealer) once the wheels start turning that’s when the signal reading begins. Once that happens you gotta turn the Car off in order for the light to go out. Sometimes it doesn’t. Either way I still enjoy this roadster. ��
    How do you disengage the DSC?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    Press the button?