Thread: Wonderful Christmas present...rodent damaged to wife's 2014 Z4

My Cars
    2014 BMW Z4

Wonderful Christmas present...rodent damaged to wife's 2014 Z4

Well, wish I could be introducing myself happily this Christmas day, but just discovered a bunch of
    rodent damage to my wife's newly acquired 2014 Z4. Beautiful car, super-low mileage, wife had
    dreamed of having one for years, and for years we saved. Finally, I bought it for her a week ago
    and she was so happy.

I am bummed. I took every precaution...clean garage, traps set, poison, glue traps and even an
    electronic rodent repeller system...quite suffice to say they did F all.

This morning she is so sad. So here's the deal...a lot of damage to heavy red cable (appears to be shielded)
    which runs up to the firewall at the back of the engine.. The damage has exposed the large braided cable up
    to some kind of electrical box...forgive me, I know nothing about these cars, but am an aircraft mechanic, so
    I can only hazard a guess...It appears this wire is a major power supply wire for electrical components?
    (about as big as your finger)

So, anyone with an inkling of how much this is going to cost to replace? Also has a hole chewed in the washer
    reservoir, but its small and hidden for an easy fix.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It's going to the BMW dealership tomorrow. I'm guessing I need a certain number of posts to post images, so sorry
    I have nothing to show.
    Last edited by CropDusterMan; 12-25-2016 at 06:39 PM.

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    1. So sorry to hear about your woes!
    2. If it truly is a 2014 this is the wrong forum, we E85/86 folk stop after the 2008 model year
    3. Large red cables in automobiles tend to be positive battery cables. If it was my car I'd immediately disconnect the battery before doing any more investigation
    4. Good luck!

My Cars
    2006 BMW M6 coupe
    You have my sympathy. Shortly after I purchased a beautiful 1998 Jaguar XK8 convertible, mice decided that the foam-backed liner for my convertible's roof would provide a wonderful source of material for their nest. Like you, I had traps set in the garage, plus a useless electronic device plugged in to the AC outlet.

My Cars
    01 BMW 330ci convertible
    Here's my suggestion, call your insurance company, they should cover the loss. Plus it won't increase your premium because it will be covered as a comprehensive loss. Then take it a dealership and it will be fixed like new. Hopefully you have a low deductible. Hope it all works out.
    2001 BMW 330 CI
    2006 Merc C230