Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In case your New Year resolution is to lower coolant operating temperature...GroupBuy

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i

In case your New Year resolution is to lower coolant operating temperature...GroupBuy

screen capture

upload an image

Update 1/6/17

All units sold. I've started another Group Buy at even better price here:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ee-US-shipping

This topic been covered zillion times but general consensus is that 108 C operating temp in M62TU is great for the fuel economy and emissions but not so great for plastic cooling components.

For those who remember the High school Physics classes, more heat = more pressure so it's 2 enemies against the cooling system.

I've sold about dozen of these, mainly on ebay and on this forum and then my supplier in Europe run out. They're back in stock and I have batch of 5 coming in about 7 days.

1 is sold, 4 are still available: $92 including free shipping. I can get more if these 4 sell.

Direct fit to any E53 X5, E38 740i and E39 540i with M62TU engine. This is mechanical thermostat that opens at 88 C and you'll see average running temp of around 88 C - 92 C vs. 108 C.

In order to avoid CEL you simply connect 10 OHM resistor to disconnected OEM thermostat DME wiring connector.

This thermostat came originaly on E38 740D and here are some specs:

https://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.co...lterId=1164537

It is genuine Mahle / Behr brand made in Germany and it comes with o ring included.

PM if interested.

Thanks.
    Last edited by BMW540san; 01-06-2017 at 01:38 PM.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    MSports
    +1^, Great mod, really like the lower temps. Getting another for the other car and wish I had done it sooner.

Thanks BMW540san!

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    No problem. Thanks for getting another one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Beemers View Post
    +1^, Great mod, really like the lower temps. Getting another for the other car and wish I had done it sooner.

Thanks BMW540san!

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    3 sold, 2 left.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    I'll probably get one too. It always seemed like my engine pushed faster before full operating temp.

My Cars
    02 540i
    Im about to do my VCG and VPG this sounds like a good idea too... where can u buy a 10ohm resistor though

My Cars
    1999 540i

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well done Mach - indeed 12ohm is a closer match for the "11.2 ohm" that I seem to recal the thermostat is.

Theoretically if the resistor was powered up all the time it would need to be 12W or better (hence the 25w in that link) but IMO that's overkill as the DME only powers it briefly and intermittently, it would almost never be powered up for more than a handful of seconds. Also you can extend the intermittent power handling of a resistor a bit by heat-sinking it, therefore my setup is a 10W resistor tightly screwed to a small slice of aluminum channel with heat sink grease, and I think this will be 100% fine. (has been so far - approaching probably 1k miles on the new setup).

In fact one theory is the resistor may never get powered, because the DME sees the engine temp at 88C and doesn't feel it needs to drop the temp at WOT / high loads after all. Nobody I know has ever tested this theory, would be fun to check it though with a voltage or amperage probe run back to the cockpit (or on a dyno if you have such a luxury). This theory would propose that the resistor only needs to be there to pass 'self check' pulses that are looking for proper resistance but not actually carry current. A less direct / scientific way to test that would be toss, say, a .5A fuse in line w/ the connection and then thrash the car and see if it ever blows.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW now that I'm in cold weather season, I DO find the car takes longer to heat up with the new T-stat. The OEM T-stat makes this motor when stock, one of the fastest heating engines I've owned, but now it takes notably longer for coolant temp to come up and for the heat to work etc.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Interesting stuff on the resistor GG. May never even be asked to perform with the colder stats.

I've found my car seems to warm up at the same pace with my 85 deg stat. I drive to work the same path most days, and the heat comes on at the same spot. Traffic light just outside my hood. These 540's are amazing at how soon heat starts to hit my feet.

Maybe yours is not seating fully shut when cold? My stat is a different model, but all the stats should be closed when cold and only pass through the little vent gizmo.
    Last edited by philly98540; 01-02-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah C, I thought of that but then I'd have trouble w temp regulation if it was stuck. Like driving highway speeds in 20F weather like I have, if it was stuck I should see temp drop if it can't close all the way.. And it stays rock solid once its warmed up.

On another car I had trouble with a fussy T-stat design that could trap a bubble behind the T-stat (what that little vent is for) and indeed then the car would run cold... maybe I have something like that going on? This is new T-stat from Brian's buy and looked perfect but you never know I guess. Like I said it appears rock solid once it warms up but maybe I'll futz around w/ Testo again and track actual temps...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1999 540i
    I totally agree that the resistor probably will NEVER get used. Just not needed for the engine since it never gets any where near the 100+C temps of previously normal operations. The small fuse check would be interesting.

I started mine yesterday to charge the battery. For various reasons I haven't properly put it into hibernation yet. Anyways, I let it run for 15 minutes, (I set my alarm so I wouldn't forget it, cuz I'm sure I would have fallen asleep and let it run for hours,) and the temp gauge had not yet reached straight up. I didn't check KTEMP, but I assume it was only up to ~145 F. 32F ambient.

- - - Updated - - -

Re: the wattage. Yep, 25W way overkill, but for 3 bucks.................

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah. That mirrors my experience, where as w/ the prior t-stat the car would be piping hot in no time..
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Engine should get up to the stat opening temp at the same rate as the stock stat. After that point the stock stat will continue to be closed until the point it cracks open. Essentially the water supplying the heater core will be hotter once fully warmed up on the stock stat, but the time to get heat should be the same.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    I may be interested in one of these, although I'd need it by the weekend. Radiator hose just blew. My Zionsville SPAL fan hasn't been working because I need to relocate the fuse. Any chance of receiving the tstat by this weekend? If not, I may still be interested, although less so if I have to drain the coolant AGAIN.

Also, what's the final consensus about whether the resistor is needed? My car's an '03 540i/6.

Related topic, what brand of radiator hoses do a of you prefer? My upper hose failed at one of the one-use band clamps. For now, I suppose I could replace the band clamp with a traditional hose clamp and keep using this hose, but pushing my luck with the old hoses doesn't seem worth it. BTW, the failed hose is BMW, about six years old with about 50k miles on it.

Thanks, as always!

--Peter
    '03 540i-6
    153k mi; bought April ‘07 w/38k mi
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Peter no resistor will lodge a code but shouldn't throw a light or interfere with emissions monitor stuff.

I go for continental hoses and belts on my cars... 50k seems a little short lived, I'd normally not proactively replace until 60-80k.. In your shoes I might inspect the rubber and then make the call. If the clamp failed because the rubber was deteriorating under it vs if the clamp truly just had a flaw...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    MSports
    No light or code on my '03 without resistor.

If you ask him now you may be able to get it by the weekend.

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Peter no resistor will lodge a code but shouldn't throw a light or interfere with emissions monitor stuff.

I go for continental hoses and belts on my cars... 50k seems a little short lived, I'd normally not proactively replace until 60-80k.. In your shoes I might inspect the rubber and then make the call. If the clamp failed because the rubber was deteriorating under it vs if the clamp truly just had a flaw...
    Thanks, GG. Actually, I now remember that my hoses are older than I thought. I had a second radiator replaced when the car was still under warranty with 44k miles on it. I'm now at 117k. So they're due, anyway. Going to replace them all (but not the heater core hoses, which seem fine and have no plastic parts).

Quote Originally Posted by Da Beemers View Post
    No light or code on my '03 without resistor.

If you ask him now you may be able to get it by the weekend.
    Good to know, and thanks. Yes, Z and I have been in touch; I should have it by the weekend.
    '03 540i-6
    Silv/Blk, CWP, UUC SSK w/DSSR, M5 diff, JBR LW FW, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, Zionsville w/2-stage fan, coolant hoses, M60 intake manifold, motor-out overhaul (powder-coated VCs, TCGs, valley pan, coolant mani, head gaskets, heads refurb, all other gaskets, seals), Beisan vanos, PS pump & hoses, AC comp, fuel pump & filter, washer hoses, 88-degree thermo, DUDMD tune, Vibrant Racing muffler, Zeck CDV, Brembo solid-disc rotors w/ Textron pads & UUC SS brake lines, Dinan springs w/Koni Yellow shocks/struts, M5 front & rear sway bars, H&R 10mm spacers & studs front & rear, Pilot Sport A/S 3s, headlight adj repair, polished headlight lenses, 6k Umnitza Xenon & AE bulbs, new OEM M-Sport bumpers, gauge rings, permanent seat-twist repair to front seats, ZHP shift knob, M5 headliner kit (reinforced A-pillar clips), Schmiedmann pedals, MID & cluster pixel repair, Bavsound Stage 1 speaker upgrade & dedicated amp w/DSP subwoofers, retrofitted cupholder

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Update: I have the thermostat in hand. Z just happened to be passing through Atlanta today, and he brought the part with him. THANK YOU, Z!

I should have the other parts (all radiator hoses and BMW coolant) from the stealer tomorrow, weather permitting (snow expected here tomorrow and Saturday). Perhaps the car will be done by Sunday or Monday (still have to relocate the Zionsville positive wiring harness and fuse, and I have to find a a resistor for the thermostat).

--P
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    And the evidence that I'm the proud owner of an 88° thermostat -- pictures!

Thanks again, Z!

--Peter

ForumRunner_20170105_174439.png

ForumRunner_20170105_174449.png
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Peter,

It was a pleasure to meet fellow BMW enthusiast and be able to help out by the sheer coincidence of me leaving for Atlanta trip and finding your message about needing thermostat.
    BMW gods have smiled upon you. Good luck with everything!

P.S.

Just recently had original (11y/108k) upper radiator hose blew on my X5. It's the one that has tenticals like an octopus. There was nothing wrong with the rubber it self but the plastic connector with steel ring decided to separate which dumped just about all coolant.
    I was able to find Reinz / Gates hose locally. It was made in Turkey and looked decent quality but once you install it, the rubber would twist and it was smaller diameter. I decided not use it and went with BMW OEM and I'm not regretting it.

My Cars
    03 540iA M-Sport
    I can vouch for the 88c stat I installed mine 7/16/2016.
    The car doesn't feel like its heat soaked anymore it just runs cooler and performs well at all times.
    Open the coolant reservoir and hear the amount of air escaping and its not much unlike before were it would want to erupt.
    No CEL my wire connector is hanging exposed under the Throttle Body area.
    Temp gauge stays in the middle.
    Note im running a Spal EFC using the signal off the Aux fan switch over the lower rad hose its the High Temp Blk/White wire, Temp=88C or 190.4F

Before specs Stk stat
    93C or 199.4F Low when its just being idle it will drop due to the electrical 12V feed into the heating element inside the thermostat.
    105C or 221F Low
    108-110C or 226.4-230F High

After specs 88c stat
    93C or 200F Low
    101C or 214F High

Also my MAF IATs Intake Air Temperature Max idle
    Stock MAF 140F
    Alloy MAF 175F
    Gold MAF 135F
    All drop under 100F right away when accelerating
    Last edited by AngelEye5; 10-20-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    2003 540iA M-Sport - VSM60IM/84MMTB+Flange/4"CAI+MAF DUDMD Tune, Alpina B10V8S TCU Tune, Spal EFC, Gutted Pre Cats, 88C Stat, Alum WPP, Metal Impeller WP, SAPD, M5 MMs, UUC Blk TMs, E53 X5 TABs, Bilstien B8's/Intrax Springs,

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    Peter,

It was a pleasure to meet fellow BMW enthusiast and be able to help out by the sheer coincidence of me leaving for Atlanta trip and finding your message about needing thermostat.
    BMW gods have smiled upon you. Good luck with everything!

P.S.

Just recently had original (11y/108k) upper radiator hose blew on my X5. It's the one that has tenticals like an octopus. There was nothing wrong with the rubber it self but the plastic connector with steel ring decided to separate which dumped just about all coolant.
    I was able to find Reinz / Gates hose locally. It was made in Turkey and looked decent quality but once you install it, the rubber would twist and it was smaller diameter. I decided not use it and went with BMW OEM and I'm not regretting it.
    Yes, Z, great to meet you, indeed - not only for me, but also for my two little girls.

I'm with you about the BMW gods having smiled me. What are the odds?

I also hear you about going with BMW hoses. Might get them tomorrow, weather permitting.

--P
    '03 540i-6

My Cars
    2003 M5, E93 335i/6
    What is the normal operating temperature that everyone is seeing with these? I'm on the fence; I never get anything but OEM/correct parts for my cars. Would the lower engine temperature increase engine wear?
    -Chris

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
    What is the normal operating temperature that everyone is seeing with these? I'm on the fence; I never get anything but OEM/correct parts for my cars. Would the lower engine temperature increase engine wear?
    Haha prepare for a can of worms there. A lotta enthusiasts will jump up and exclaim "NO THE HIGH TEMPERATURES MAKE MORE ENGINE WEAR! IT'S ONLY FOR EMISSIONS!!!!! IT SUCKS!!!" but this is scientifically / engineering wise incorrect.

Pros to higher temps:

• High temps actually make for less wear on internal parts, and make for higher efficiency (which the skeptics will scream "GAS MILEAGES AND EMISSIONS!" but efficiency also equals more power!) There's um like, science and shit all proving that very clearly. F1 engines run up way up above 100C. High temps (at least within reason...) are actually 'good' for the motor under ideal operating conditions. Hillbilly shadtree "Cars run better and wear less when the oil is nice and colderrer!" claims are just plain wrong.

Cons to higher temps:
    • Coolant pressure goes way up, and BMW cooling systems blow dead donkeys all day long, so that's a terrible combination. This is why most of us do this mod. Guys who have taken the pressure down or out of the M6x engines using thermostats or Evans no-pressure coolant have dramatically less (oops wife english teacher would insist I say "fewer") issues w/ cooling systems than those on the 'normal' program.
    • Although efficiency is all well and good, you're naturally approaching closer to the limit of temperature induced failures so if something goes wrong, like catastrophic cooling system failure, you have a lot less time before really bad things happen. This is the other solid reason to do this mod.
    • While the chart above is fine for the big metal on metal parts in the motor, plastic parts inside and on the engine have a dramatically decreased lifecycle at higher temps, which includes the notorious timing chain guides and proven out by the S62's similar setup yet notable lower incidence of issues due to lower temps.

You can see why BMW loves this MAP thermostat thing where they can run it at higher temps for efficiency most of the time but then under high loads where maybe you are anticipating a heat spike and want more safety buffer, you can activate the thermostat and bring it down to a lower point... Trying to get the best of both worlds. But in reality your running the whole system at a higher pressure all the time and that doesnt seem to be good for the parts that they spec. If the expansion tanks and radiators and valley pans and everything else were a bit more bulletproof, the MAP setup might be fine, but as a guy whose had to limp from Georgia to the Everglades with a failing expansion tank during a tornado watch... I'll take the lower cooling system pressures and slightly less efficiency every day of the week now.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 01-06-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Corrected major missing 3rd con per philly
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Don't forget the increased wear on the timing guide plastics and the VC gaskets, etc. IMO lower temps helps there too. No solid evidence though, but correlates good with the common engineering theory on such parts and is somewhat re-enforced by the S62. I say somewhat since it has a double row set up, but lifespan is curiously better and that engine runs much colder.

Increased efficiency at higher temps is true, and that can give more power out of every drop of gas at normal cruise speeds (partial loads). At WOT, the propensity to pre-detonate, with higher temps, can reduce allowed timing. Also the packing factor is reduced with higher temps. Both of these can lead to lower power at WOT.

The whole MAP stat sounds good on paper, but its not really helpful for a street car to give more power. By the time you get any affect of its design to lower the cylinder and head temps, the full throttle event is long gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast