Thread: NASA SPEC 3 Track Build

My Cars
    BMW'sssssss

NASA SPEC 3 Track Build

After doing some DE's last year with NASA and thinking which way i have to go, i decided to start building SPEC3 car and have it ready for more fun for 2017 season, i have chose SPEC3 for numerous reasons i can name some of them (No. 1 budget friendly, No.2 great racers we have in this series, No.3 availability of Parts)
    my plan was to find a nice 325is (Dont like 4 Doors) and convert it to SPEC3 Minus roll cage in 4 Months starting by Dec, 2016.
    after searching over Craigslist, Facebook market place and other sites i found a 1994 325is Auto with 200k miles in Norfolk, body looks in good shape, but was not sure how the engine looks at this age, i have contacted the seller and he declared that the car had a miss fire and need tune up, beside that it does need front wheel bearing.

car picked up from Norfolk with the help of my friend Brian who own Truth Motorsport in Summit Point, after driving the car back home for 4 hours in rainy day the car was fine, no overheat no check engine light comes up but the miss fire was there, you may feel it only when the car idling but at regular driving speed (+30 Mph ) it was pulling Normal.

This is the picture of the car from the craigslist ads.

I will keep posting and updating the post for more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (160.5 KB, 17 views)
    Last edited by 2 Fast; 12-20-2016 at 10:29 AM.

My Cars
    1983 BMW E21 320i
    Great choice! I have a 325is myself. Any plans on doing a motor/tranny swap?

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Welcome to the fold! The Mid-Atlantic Spec3 gang is a great group. I'm in TT and plan to move to GTS in 2017 but hang out with them a fair bit. Good luck with the build and let us know if you need any help!
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    BMW'sssssss
    with NASA Spec3 you have to use the stock M50 Engine + Tranny, engine on overhaul process at the current time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sterk View Post
    Great choice! I have a 325is myself. Any plans on doing a motor/tranny swap?
    with NASA Spec3 you have to use the stock M50 Engine + Tranny, engine on overhaul process at the current time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
    Welcome to the fold! The Mid-Atlantic Spec3 gang is a great group. I'm in TT and plan to move to GTS in 2017 but hang out with them a fair bit. Good luck with the build and let us know if you need any help!
    Thank you Jake, i know there is an awesome folks over Spec3 facebook page and i know you are an active member over there,

- - - Updated - - -

After bringing the car home, i tried to diagnose the problem to find which cylinder has a miss-fire and it was Cylinder# 2 & 3, changed the Spark plugs, Ignition Coils and the injectors but the problem was there, ECU replaced but never helped !! at this point i figure out that is not a miss fire so i did a compression test

This is Cylinder# 2

and this is Cylinder# 3

all other cylinders compression was good, Now Removing the cylinder head will be the next thing to do, since i have a limited garage space to pull the engine out, i removed the front end of the car to gain more space.

Valve cover and Manifold removed

after taking the head off, you can easy notice that there is two exhaust valves damaged (i assume clogged catalytic converter cause that) Cylinder# 2 on the left, Cylinder#3 on the right.

No damage noticed to the cylinder wall or the pistons and the gasket looks fine.

Cylinder head sent to the Machine shop for inspection and repair of damaged valves, hopefully will have it ready sometime next week.
    Last edited by 2 Fast; 12-20-2016 at 02:19 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    That's not so bad. Hopefully all the damage was contained to the head and the bottom end is good to go. Good luck!

My Cars
    95 Spec 3, 83 320i, 128i
    If anyone is curious. This car is with a new owner going through Comp School right now at VIR!