Thread: What can ISTA-P actually do?

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

What can ISTA-P actually do?

I currently have INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, DIS, and Rheingold/ISTA-D all running like a swiss watch on the latest DATENs. So my question is, what can ISTA-P do on E-series cars that can't be done on my existing software? I do all my own work, is it worth setting up and buying an ICOM?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    ISTA-P can frustrate you by making a 15 minute flash and code job into a 4 hour mess of upgrading every other module before getting to your replacement. It also will revert custom changes to stock without giving you much notice.
    But, it does help keep track of correct integration level for everything...

It has nothing to do with ICOM. ICOM is good to have and use even without ISTA.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    ICOM is good to have and use even without ISTA.
    What advantages does the ICOM have over K+DCAN? Is a clone ok?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    An ICOM switches between ADS, dual K-Line, K-CAN, DCAN, MOST, and Ethernet automatically; and supports them all.

You will get into very much trouble flashing with K+DCAN cable on certain 2007+ BMWs that demand more speed and a memory buffer (which the cable has none of). ICOM, OMITEC, and other true BMW interfaces, or passthrough devices have memory for flashing/jobs.

It can be used with all EDIABAS based BMW diagnostic programs (INPA, WinKFP, NCSExpert, Tool32, ISTA-D, ISTA-P, ...probably even DIS... but why?)

A clone ICOM is OK, as long as you do a large amount of research on finding a good one.
    The Chinese clones have a huge variability in quality and build. They will also lie and say theirs is the best.
    First, the lower end ones will be missing the WiFi card inside. Most are like this. Sometimes they skip on some chips as well. Sometimes they fail out of the blue. Many times they overheat.

A1 Clones: Watch out so they have all the components built in. You must compare pictures of the internals. Many times they have a cooling fan, but it doesn't work. High end can be reliable.
    A2 Clones: The Chinese clone units have major heat problems, that can interrupt flashing. Some have tried to fix the problem by adding heatsinks inside to help. High end can be reliable.
    A3 Clones: This is a Chinese invention, a product of Chinese engineering. There was never an A3 from BMW. Beware.
    ICOM Next clone: majority of these are A2 Clones in a newer shell. Useless. Too early to know if any good. There are some true ICOM Next clones that are a clone of the genuine ICOM Next. (ICOM Next has gigabit ethernet speed, USB3.0, and faster boot. Not too many other benefits.)

Generally, the clones that took the time to properly put a wifi card in, they're usually the higher end ones.
    A word of caution, the sellers hardly provide support after they received their money. If it breaks (they do sometimes), you end up with a broken ICOM clone. Or worse, you send it back for "repairs" after 3 months, and they keep the returned item and the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, ISTA-P can work with K+DCAN cable or even VAG KKL cable, but as with all flashing, it's very risky.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    BMW 850 and E55 AMG
    Generally as above.
    A1 clones- the ? shaped device, might be good, might be bad, you'd struggle to get a refund on one too
    A2 clones - BMW realised the A1 was a stupid design, a bulky interface hangin off the OBD port wasn't a bright idea, and they don't fit on E39s, so they made something more simple. The Chinese clones are an A1 PCB in a square box.
    A3 clone, doesn't exist, it's just another A1 board in a box.

The ICOM NEXT is surprisingly cheap from BMW for a genuine/original device. So far, it doesn't really have any benefits, but in the future, it might be able to work with car that haven't made it off the drawing board yet.

esys and DCAN can do almost everything, the only missing bit is e6x MOST optical links for CCC etc updates. DCAN will work, but it can take forever and is risky.

The main thing to remember is your car isn't an iPhone, it does not need updates regularly. Almost all of the dead modules mention on here were from bored people fiddling about, which means instead of having no obvious changes present, you end up with a car that doesn't work.

Giftschrank Projekt

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    For example. (I learned this the hard way)

With a K+DCAN cable, you will almost be guaranteed to brick a 2007+ CANBUS M5's SMG module if you try to flash it with K+DCAN. Tried to do a euro flash, and bricked it (Programming status 15). Others have had the same experience. I tried ISTA-P reanimation, made it even worse (programming status 12).

Got genuine ICOMs a few months later, and was able to unbrick/recover the module just fine.
    Agree 100%, they are not iPhones, they do NOT need ongoing updates, unless you really know what you are doing, and how to rescue if you brick something.

By the way, even the genuine BMW ICOM A2 is an A1 board inside as well, not just the Chinese ones. But it somehow doesn't have an overheating problem, even without extra heatsinks.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 12-17-2016 at 11:13 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I appreciate the info, I'm not a huge fan of emulation or virtual machines, and the interface memory is a compelling reason to get an ICOM. I noticed that ECS only carries the ICOM NEXT A, but I assume that it is backwards compatible. Assuming I want a genuine ICOM, what should I expect to spend?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The ICOM A1 and A2 have been discontinued by BMW, so ICOM Next is the only genuine option. It is fully backwards compatible.
    That or find a used genuine old ICOM. Yes, ECS price is around the BMW retail price. At a dealer you will likely have to provide proof you are a shop.

(An alternative option is this clone. https://www.xcar360.com/bmw-icom-a2-...k-version.html
    this is a seller I have had much contact with, for non BMW tools. They are a forum sponsor on another forum, and they take their job seriously. I am in no way affiliated, but have had good communication and support with them.
    The linked tool is higher quality, has wifi adapter soldered on the pcb, and a heatsink. It has been rated well on other forums. Wifi card is not installed, but you can message them to include one, or source your own. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-ICOM-A1-clone This shows even how to add your own connector to the PCB. Generally most people will not be using wifi anyways.
    They ship quickly with DHL. If things break, they will repair and ship back, when within the warranty period. They depend on good forum standings, so they have been better than other Chinese sellers. YMMV)
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    So I now have ISTA-P and I'm weighing my options for an ICOM. My current ISTA-P folder is somewhere north of 100GB. Can I delete the psdzdata folder? That accounts for something like 60GB, and I don't own an F-Chassis car.