Thread: 1995 E34 540i oil filter cover stuck

My Cars
    91 525i(Sold), 95 540iA

1995 E34 540i oil filter cover stuck

I hate to ask for help on such a simple problem, but the previous owner of my 540 tightened the plastic oil filter cover far too tight, and now it's impossible to remove, even with the 36 mm socket. Anyone have any ideas on how I can remove this cover without breaking the oil filter housing off or anything else? It's the M60 V8 if it's of any use. Thanks!

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    Put a big breaker bar or pipe on it with the 36mm socket and give it hell? Or since it's plastic and probably no good anyway you could like crack it open and get some pliers on it and break it into pieces.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    91 525i(Sold), 95 540iA
    I already tried that, 3 guys and a 4 foot long breaker bar didn't budge it, and if I went any harder it would have completely stripped the plastic nut (As it is it's half stripped already). And the material is a mix between rubber and plastic, so it just bends instead of cracks, and I'm concerned about breaking the oil filter housing because apparently that's been a problem for some people. So I'm not really sure what to do without breaking absolutely everything

My Cars
    94 540i
    Apply some heat to the case?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Sounds like you'll need to resort to destructive methods, so best have a new cap on hand when you try.
    Really? Three guys on a four foot bar?? Come on, that could rip it off the block if you were really trying.

IF it were me I'd put a dull-ish chisel in an impact and try to rattle it loose from around the perimeter. The chisel might bite enough to rattle it loose with out tearing the cap to pieces. Way less chance of breaking the housing this way compared with the huge constant force you'll apply using a long bar.

Save that 4' bar to beat the %^$^%* that tightened this last, moron probably didn't oil the o-ring either.
    Last edited by ross1; 12-18-2016 at 01:47 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by govee View Post
    Apply some heat to the case?
    This would be my approach also. A little propane torch on the metal filter housing and then use a big set of channel lock pliers or pipe wrench on the larger diameter rim of the cover (not the nut). You will likely destroy the cover but applying force nearest the threads of the cover will remove the "flex" you see when wrenching on the nut.

Reminds me of when I changed the oil after purchasing my non running M5. Opened the oil canister to find a cartridge filter @ 2 sizes to small floating in dirty oil (not filtering anything!). Likely some minimum wage "jiffy lube" moron named cletis.

G.L.
    Last edited by zubbie; 12-18-2016 at 10:08 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
    This would be my approach also. A little propane torch on the metal filter housing and then use a big set of channel lock pliers or pipe wrench on the larger diameter rim of the cover (not the nut). You will likely destroy the cover but applying force nearest the threads of the cover will remove the "flex" you see when wrenching on the nut.

Reminds me of when I changed the oil after purchasing my non running M5. Opened the oil canister to find a cartridge filter @ 2 sizes to small floating in dirty oil (not filtering anything!). Likely some minimum wage "jiffy lube" moron named cletis.

G.L.
    I'd be afraid of melting the cap and making it stick more. Curious to see how this goes.
    Good luck indeed OP please report back

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    remove the filter housing and use the help of a bench vice if it's really that bad. For sure order a new cap in case you have to destroy the current

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by cccarrow View Post
    I already tried that, 3 guys and a 4 foot long breaker bar didn't budge it
    I think your buddies were trolling you and pushing the opposite way.

I have a spare filter housing with cap if you need it.

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    I think your buddies were trolling you and pushing the opposite way.

I have a spare filter housing with cap if you need it.

4 guys on a 4 ft breaker bar should have spun the car in place. I've had to resort to the breaker bar, but never had one that tight. +1 for heat. Who cares if you melt the car, sounds like its pretty fubar anyway. good luck.

worst case, replace the entire oil filter housing with a used one. Not a fun job on the M60
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Give it a try with an impact wrench.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    You want to distribute the torque as evenly over the cap as possible. I would combine an oilfilter wrench (the strap type) with a 36mm socket on a bar.

Idiotic design, this. The M30's all-metal oilfilter housing with a metal 13mm bolt is correct.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Idiotic design, this. The M30's all-metal oilfilter housing with a metal 13mm bolt is correct.
    I whole-heartedly agree, and can't find a pattern as far as in which models BMW elected to use the plastic cap vs metal. My '97 M3 had a metal one, which is post-E34 obviously, but then the E46s (non-M) have the plastic again.

It also never ceases to amaze how some people (like the OP's previous owner) can literally F up the most basic of hands-on tasks like this. Almost every one of these big plastic oil filter caps I've had to loosen have been ridiculously tight. My favorite tool for it is actually a really large crescent wrench with jack handle/pipe extension for a breaker bar, I feel the wrench slips/rounds less easily than a socket.

I agree with the oil filter housing removal at this point.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    I whole-heartedly agree, and can't find a pattern as far as in which models BMW elected to use the plastic cap vs metal. My '97 M3 had a metal one, which is post-E34 obviously, but then the E46s (non-M) have the plastic again.

It also never ceases to amaze how some people (like the OP's previous owner) can literally F up the most basic of hands-on tasks like this. Almost every one of these big plastic oil filter caps I've had to loosen have been ridiculously tight. My favorite tool for it is actually a really large crescent wrench with jack handle/pipe extension for a breaker bar, I feel the wrench slips/rounds less easily than a socket.

I agree with the oil filter housing removal at this point.
    My wife's E39 has the plastic cap and it is always tight. I lube the NEW o-ring each time and barely snug the thing but it's always pretty tight at oil change time. I can only imagine if some ham handed brute wailed on it.
    I don't know that it's such a bad design but it certainly isn't idiot proof. Demanding a huge wrench to tighten it is asking for trouble.

How is it going, OP?
    Last edited by ross1; 12-23-2016 at 04:23 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Plastic fasteners that take any meaningful torque are a bad design. Full stop.

My Cars
    95 525, 92 525, 84 528
    I remember the first time I dealt with an e39 oil filter cover, I thought to myself, "seriously"?!? The e34 M50 oil filter housing is just "perfect"!
    Hope you had some luck, OP.
    Last edited by Mendozart; 12-26-2016 at 02:34 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Plastic fasteners that take any meaningful torque are a bad design. Full stop.
    That's the problem with these. That big "nut" demands a big wrench which implies it needs to be tighter than it does.
    I am always very careful tightening mine and will lube the o-ring and slowly tighten it, backing off when the o-ring feels like it is dragging(it always does) and making the final torque little more than a tap on the wrench. Given my shortest 1/2" ratchet is probably 8" it is likely still a bunch tighter than it needs to be.
    Gonna try just snugging it by hand next time to see if it stays sealed and is easier to remove.
    Last edited by ross1; 12-27-2016 at 11:10 AM.

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Good point connecting the size of the "nut" / wrench and the over tightening. I think you hit the nail on the head.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    91 525i(Sold), 95 540iA
    I finally got it, the problem with the breaker bar is you can't get enough grip on it, and I was hesitant to use heat on a part in such close proximity to wires and hoses, so I went out and bought a monstrosity of a pipe wrench, and it came right off! Thanks for the help!