Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 328xi AWD SUCKS

My Cars
    2016 bmw 328xi

2016 328xi AWD SUCKS

New to the forum, and to BMW. I have a long history with Audis, and currently still have an A4 and a S4, but after Audi attempted to screw me over one too many times a few months ago I decided to try something new.

I bought a 2016 BMW 328xi. It has the 2.0L turbo engine and every option that was available. My first thoughts of the car through the first 4k miles were great, until yesterday.

I'm in PA and we got about 4 inches of fresh snow. I went to leave for work and at the steepest part of the driveway the BMW started slow to a stop, slide backwards and even begin to spin sideways. I repeated this 3 times before working it into a safe parking spot and giving up.

I then go in my other car (2000 audi a4 Quattro), which walked out like there was no snow at all. The audi doesn't have winter or studded tires, it just has cheap all seasons that are half worn out. All of my previous vehicles have been Audis, most recently a 2010 A6, and none of them have ever had issues.

So i'm now wondering if the xdrive system is just not as good as Quattro, or what the deal is.

Does anyone else have experience with Audi and BMW that can provide their opinion of the winter traction capabilities of the two?

The BMW is scheduled to go to the dealer on Monday to rule out any defective components that would cause the AWD system to malfunction; however I doubt this is the case as its so new, and there aren't any warning lights. I had a Volvo xc90 that had an awd failure and it produced a light on the dash.

Any input you can provide would be appreciated. Right now just feeling disappointed and frustrated that a car with a $55k sticker price doesn't perform as well as my 20yr old beater.

Quote Originally Posted by rjpiselli View Post
    New to the forum, and to BMW. I have a long history with Audis, and currently still have an A4 and a S4, but after Audi attempted to screw me over one too many times a few months ago I decided to try something new.

I bought a 2016 BMW 328xi. It has the 2.0L turbo engine and every option that was available. My first thoughts of the car through the first 4k miles were great, until yesterday.

I'm in PA and we got about 4 inches of fresh snow. I went to leave for work and at the steepest part of the driveway the BMW started slow to a stop, slide backwards and even begin to spin sideways. I repeated this 3 times before working it into a safe parking spot and giving up.

I then go in my other car (2000 audi a4 Quattro), which walked out like there was no snow at all. The audi doesn't have winter or studded tires, it just has cheap all seasons that are half worn out. All of my previous vehicles have been Audis, most recently a 2010 A6, and none of them have ever had issues.

So i'm now wondering if the xdrive system is just not as good as Quattro, or what the deal is.

Does anyone else have experience with Audi and BMW that can provide their opinion of the winter traction capabilities of the two?

The BMW is scheduled to go to the dealer on Monday to rule out any defective components that would cause the AWD system to malfunction; however I doubt this is the case as its so new, and there aren't any warning lights. I had a Volvo xc90 that had an awd failure and it produced a light on the dash.

Any input you can provide would be appreciated. Right now just feeling disappointed and frustrated that a car with a $55k sticker price doesn't perform as well as my 20yr old beater.
    This hasn't been my experience. I own a 2014 335xi and a 2013 a4. Never have a ever had a scenario in my BMW like you have experienced. I feel as if my 335 is just as capable as my Audi.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2016 bmw 328xi
    Interesting. Maybe there is some sort of defect. It's not even like i'm being nit picky on the bmw, as much as I tried, it was not going out the driveway. And the audi I didn't have to work it at all, it just rode right out.

well now I've hope that theres a problem that bmw can fix and make the car perform as well as i'd like.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Tires are everything, Badge on car-nil! Unless you need true snow tires in your area/climate, I can recommend Continental DWS06 All Seasons.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 12-15-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Tires are everything, Badge on car-nil!
    Second this

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpiselli View Post

How about getting better tires? Winter driving is much more about having the correct tires, than about AWD.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2016 bmw 328xi
    I'm very familiar with tires, as I used to sell them. I understand the impact the right (and wrong) tire can have on a vehicles winter performance. I was more or less wondering if there is a reason that my BMW cannot perform as well as my Audi with comprable (or even better) tires. but I appreciate the suggestions and will probably end up purchasing a set of tires,pending bmws analysis of the awd system, but am very dissapointed that every Audi I've ever bought came from the showroom suitable and capable of winter driving. I guess that's my biggest complaint. They said "every bit as good as an Audi", yet from the lot my Audis have gone through winter, and it looks like from the lot my bimmer needs special tires.

Thanks again all for the input. Just a learning curve to a new car brand I suppose.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If the BMW came off the lot with performance summer tires, what did you expect? No, not "special" tires, tires suitable for the driving conditions to be encountered!

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    If the BMW came off the lot with performance summer tires, what did you expect? No, not "special" tires, tires suitable for the driving conditions to be encountered!
    Who said this was the case? BMW does not normally sell xDrive cars with summer tires.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    That's what I'm trying to determine. He stated that he was a former tire salesman, so he is very familiar with tire specs, but he still hasn't divulged any information on the tires in question. I don't think he purchased a tire package that is "normally installed, as he posted:I bought a 2016 BMW 328xi. It has the 2.0L turbo engine and every option that was available. OP, let us in on the wheel & tire specs, please.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 12-16-2016 at 09:02 AM.

My Cars
    02s54couperoadie04m316t
    I have the same model but it's a wagon. I live in the frozen North [Nova Scotia]. I am really pleased with it's performance on a steep icy driveway but it has 4 Pirelli Mud and Snows on it which would make a huge

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    One question, were they supplied as original equipment by BMW?, meaning- You drove off the BMW Dealers lot with those tires on?

My Cars
    02s54couperoadie04m316t
    I can't say if they were original equipment because I bought the car with about 5000 miles on it as a demonstrator. Dave.

My Cars
    2016 bmw 328xi
    The car came from the factory with continental contiprocontact tires. Which is an all season tire. 17". My Audi A4 has uniroyal tiger paw touring. Both extremely similar in tread design. The BMW currently has 9/32 tread and the Audi 6/32. There really is no reason in my mind that the BMW should not be able to pull itself through the same conditions as the Audi. Both auto. Both myself driving.

Again, it goes to the dealer tomorrow to rule out defective awd.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I can only tell you of my experience with Conti Extreme Contact, no experience with ProContact. I'm curious now, let us know what the dealer determines is the problem.

My Cars
    2016 bmw 328xi
    I'll def post back the results. I'm really hoping that the answer is they find a problem with the car and can fix it. Bc while I can understand that winter tires would make a difference, my issue isn't with an arbitrary belief as to how the car should feel, but with the cpmparisson to my Audi. I'll be irked if this expensive new car is just simply not as capable as the Audi. But we'll see.

My Cars
    2016 bmw 328xi
    Well BMW looked at the car. They were not able to find anything wrong with any of the systems, and even remarked that while a dedicated winter tire would certainly make a difference, the tires that are on it are a fine all season tread that would be suitable for most peoples daily driving on ordinary public roads.

Considering that at this point there is nothing to say, I did not bother arguing and simply thanked them for looking at it and left.

So in short, it seems that my 2016 BMW 328xi is not as capable, traction-wise, in the snow as my 2000 audi a4 Quattro, or any of the other audis I've owned over the years. It is still frustrating, but looks like its just something I have to accept and live with. The BMW is a great car, no doubt about it, but in my opinion it falls short of the audi.

I am now interested in seeing how my next car, which currently looks like I will be returning to audi, will perform in the snow. I am wondering if all the advancements in stability control are compromising traction. I will note, that when I push the traction control button, the message on the center screen is 'maximum traction, reduced stability'. so perhaps if I had purchased the '17 a4 I would have experienced a similar decline in winter traction. I find this hard to believe, but am not ruling it out completely.

Thanks all for the input.

My Cars
    are slow
    The B5 absolutely dunks on most AWD cars not called the Audi 5000. X-Drive has RWD bias, you could kind of call it a reverse haldex.

Anyways, I use a B5 as a winter beater as well, which also runs on cheapo 15 inch all seasons. It's far more competent than our Haldex based S60R (yes, the angle gear works) that has dedicated snows.

I'd probably ask for a set of snows, you're spoiled by how good the old Audis were at this sort of stuff.
    Last edited by XAlt; 12-19-2016 at 10:37 AM.

My Cars
    2016 bmw 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    The B5 absolutely dunks on most AWD cars not called the Audi 5000. X-Drive has RWD bias, you could kind of call it a reverse haldex.

Anyways, I use a B5 as a winter beater as well, which also runs on cheapo 15 inch all seasons. It's far more competent than our Haldex based S60R (yes, the angle gear works) that has dedicated snows.

I'd probably ask for a set of snows, you're spoiled by how good the old Audis were at this sort of stuff.
    You're spot on. I had a Volvo xc90 that Volvo RAVED about its awd capabilities (Haldex) and the thing was garbage. It was basically fwd until you go stuck, then awd kicked in but by that time its too late. And audi has a couple different designs that used the haldex system (TT mainly) that wasn't nearly as good in the snow bc of the same reason. the audi torsen system is superior, and all the way up to the c6 platform that I believe was the t3, they put the bar at seemingly an unattainable level. I assumed that with modern tech and bmw being rivals since forever that these days they'd pretty much be equal; but I think I was wrong.

Not here just to knock on BMW, as like I said it is a great car. But for my purposes, the audi experience is better than the bmw experience.

Like I said, you nailed it. spot on agree with you.

My Cars
    are slow
    Audi's also trying to implement it to their cars for MPG reasons. Why the Allroad of all vehicles to start with is beyond me.

BMW used to use a transfer case with 40/60 split, and in the E46 it was very competent. AWD power sap and slight MPG drain seem to be the underlying reasons why these new systems came into play.
    Last edited by XAlt; 12-19-2016 at 12:03 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    This may just push me over to the other side, and go with an Audi rs8!

My Cars
    2016 bmw 328xi
    This may just push me over to the other side, and go with an Audi rs8!
    I'm telling you, the Audis are superior in the snow for sure. I have a long history with Audi and love the cars; and a short history with BMW and while it is a great car, I have a list of complaints with it. All of which i'd have been able to overlook, until the winter performance.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to leave BMW and go to Audi. To be honest, both are fantastic cars and to each their own. For me this started as a mere curiosity as to whether or not I was the only one experiencing such an unbalanced competency, and the result is looking like I'm just an Audi guy and some people are going to be BMW people and that's ok. in the meantime I will enjoy the BMW for what it is but I can tell you that i'm looking forward to getting back into an Audi.

PS: the audi RS7 is SIIIIIICCCCKKKK and if it were even remotely in my pricerange I wouldn't be here posting about my 328xi. That being said, anyone is welcome to purchase it and lend it to me.
    Last edited by rjpiselli; 12-19-2016 at 02:07 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Most of us think you're driving a lease queen that's missing a pedal, haha. Anyways, RS7 is one of the few modern German cars I can stand to look at.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com is where most of the current gen's owners reside and where you can ask for help. Over here it's mostly pictures full of dried oil.
    Last edited by XAlt; 12-19-2016 at 02:51 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330 CI Vert
    Just came across this thread and find it equal parts interesting and hilarious.

I have a 2009 A4 Quatro. It's decent in the snow, but nowhere near as capable as my gfs 2014 328d xdrive. Personally, I find the xdrive superior in every way to Audi's awd system.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    If the purpose is affordable, superior snow and winter transportation I prefer a Subaru.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast