Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Euro E39 touring - noob to the forum

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    CRAP! That sucks man! Very glad no one got hurt, could have been a lot worse with that kind of failure. Was there a lot of rust under the car? That is a horrible failure, sorry to read about this.

My Cars
    97 528i
    thanks man...! and no, I didn't feel compelled to lower it before jacking.... I pre-positioned my wheeled floor jack and the factory jack in an effort to maintain semi-normal ride height since I could only work on one side at a time, then disconnected the air lines. BIG mistake...!! I had to lower the right side nearly to the ground so the factory jack didn't tilt as the left side of the car was raised when I started on that side. I just didn't have two jacks with wheels so they could move in conjunction with each other as I raised the car so I tried to work one side at a time. Never had luck raising a car from one side, sitting it on a stand, then raising the other side then sitting that side on a stand, nor have I been comfortable doing so. I've always raised a car evenly. If I have needed to work on the car with both sides off the ground, I'd lift it with wheeled jacks under both sides so they could move and adjust to compensate for the angle shift...(bottle jacks on both sides would work equally well....if they'd fit...) then set the chassis on stands. I should have borrowed the floor jack that came to the rescue FIRST and raised both sides, set it on stands, then proceeded with the air spring replacement. Basically I f@#!$3ed up and got bit. Either way in this case the car would have dropped unless I lifted it with a magic carpet...unfortunately I put myself and my car in a scenario I shouldn't have and got caught out. Too much to do in too little time and I paid the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    CRAP! That sucks man! Very glad no one got hurt, could have been a lot worse with that kind of failure. Was there a lot of rust under the car? That is a horrible failure, sorry to read about this.
    thanks !! yeah, there is a bit of corrosion on the fender wells and such....certainly it got to that area as well. I just took it to a friend of mine that I used to send a lot of bodywork to and we discussed the repairs she needs. Guess I am adding this to our list. I am on the fence now about letting him have it for a couple months to get all the work done, or selling it and moving on. I looked to have some of the rust issues addressed when I got it as BMW has 12 year rust through on 2000-up cars if I remember correctly. This one was within the time period when I wanted it fixed but BMW NA declined it as euro cars have no warranty in the States. Well...12 month/12k mechanical when new, no maintenance agreement, and no corrosion protection. We couldn't even get them to goodwill it (which I understand). It just sucks.
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    It's a bit of a controversial topic but many will jack the rear carefully by the diff, then jackstand both sides. Some will scream bloody murder that it will destroy the entire diff and subframe and rear chassis, many have had no probs with it. I will do it when I want both sides up, I just jack slowly and ensure car is level and jack is padded, and set it down carefully Slowly and smoothly.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    It's a bit of a controversial topic but many will jack the rear carefully by the diff, then jackstand both sides. Some will scream bloody murder that it will destroy the entire diff and subframe and rear chassis, many have had no probs with it. I will do it when I want both sides up, I just jack slowly and ensure car is level and jack is padded, and set it down carefully Slowly and smoothly.
    I've jacked up every single one of my cars via the diff at some point, it's really not that risky. I usually don't use any padding or anything like that, but you can use some rubber or a block of wood if you're paranoid.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by adm750 View Post
    thanks man...! and no, I didn't feel compelled to lower it before jacking.... I pre-positioned my wheeled floor jack and the factory jack in an effort to maintain semi-normal ride height since I could only work on one side at a time, then disconnected the air lines. BIG mistake...!! I had to lower the right side nearly to the ground so the factory jack didn't tilt as the left side of the car was raised when I started on that side. I just didn't have two jacks with wheels so they could move in conjunction with each other as I raised the car so I tried to work one side at a time. Never had luck raising a car from one side, sitting it on a stand, then raising the other side then sitting that side on a stand, nor have I been comfortable doing so. I've always raised a car evenly. If I have needed to work on the car with both sides off the ground, I'd lift it with wheeled jacks under both sides so they could move and adjust to compensate for the angle shift...(bottle jacks on both sides would work equally well....if they'd fit...) then set the chassis on stands. I should have borrowed the floor jack that came to the rescue FIRST and raised both sides, set it on stands, then proceeded with the air spring replacement. Basically I f@#!$3ed up and got bit. Either way in this case the car would have dropped unless I lifted it with a magic carpet...unfortunately I put myself and my car in a scenario I shouldn't have and got caught out. Too much to do in too little time and I paid the price.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks !! yeah, there is a bit of corrosion on the fender wells and such....certainly it got to that area as well. I just took it to a friend of mine that I used to send a lot of bodywork to and we discussed the repairs she needs. Guess I am adding this to our list. I am on the fence now about letting him have it for a couple months to get all the work done, or selling it and moving on. I looked to have some of the rust issues addressed when I got it as BMW has 12 year rust through on 2000-up cars if I remember correctly. This one was within the time period when I wanted it fixed but BMW NA declined it as euro cars have no warranty in the States. Well...12 month/12k mechanical when new, no maintenance agreement, and no corrosion protection. We couldn't even get them to goodwill it (which I understand). It just sucks.
    WOW! That sucks! What difference does it make if it is a US car or Euro Car, they are all made at Dingolfing, Germany! Bloody Hell!!! I have to say that I have NEVER been impressed by any of my interactions with BMW USA! I loved the guys at the Performance Driving School in Spartanburg, but the guys at the NJ office SUCK! Maybe try reaching out to BMW AG and explain your predicament. Maybe they can direct BMW USA to offer some kind of assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    I've jacked up every single one of my cars via the diff at some point, it's really not that risky. I usually don't use any padding or anything like that, but you can use some rubber or a block of wood if you're paranoid.
    To be honest, I have usually jacked my cars up from the rear from the center of the rear diff. I've never had a problem to date.

My Cars
    97 528i
    thanks for the input from all three of you guys !! I've lifted plenty of cars by the diff as well. Never with our Vette...which even had a thick-ass aluminum-cased Dana rear in it...and I've shied away from doing it with the three BMW's I've had. I'm sure it's perfectly fine doing that but since I was unsure and have heard mixed reviews, I excluded it as an option. I'm sure it would have been fine to do just as you guys say.
    I also did reach out to the folks at NA regarding the rust....I had very good relationships with the Aftersales guys and some key corporate folk. I had a huge client base, sold $3M a year in parts and labor sales alone, and was a strong brand ambassador. This relationship brought a lot of good things to the people I took care of in Service. The NA team were good people, but when I needed help it was denied. It wasn't like it was back in the day when we could spend BMW's money pretty freely by exercising good judgment in an effort to do the right things. Not that fixing the rust forming on my euro e39 was the right thing....it's had paint work back there with the PO, but we still covered those things under rust perf warranty if we felt it built goodwill or for other reasons that mechanically made sense. (ie...just because the left front door skin was painted due to a dent, doesn't mean that should void coverage when the bottoms of the door edges started to rot...). Near the end, we couldn't even get them to cover the E60 head bolts breaking on a car with less than 60k miles. A lot of things changed while I was with them.
    I can't even list my car in Owner's Circle cause it's a euro....do does mine qualify for the airbag recall...??...and if so, how will I be notified..??
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    97 528i
    quick blurb everyone....
    fit a new right front window regulator this weekend. (URO part from bavauto....) I tell you what....I truly hope this part last as long as it looks like it will. That group finally got smart and reversed the tracks for the carriers that hold the glass...and they removed those stupid little tabs that keep the cable in the channel. Those were the bain of my existence for this window. I repaired the original regulator countless time. The first time was in a gas station parking lot on a trip to Hilton Head. The wire popped out and got on the backside of that tab and kept the glass from rolling up when a storm rolled in (I didn't know this at the time...I only knew something broke and the window would not go up...). So as my wife held a towel up to the window (while we rocketed down 22 in S. Carolina) to keep the torrential rain out....I found a station with an overhang, pulled in, pulled the door panel off, the glass out, and re-routed that wire, then put it all back together....all using only my swiss army knife...!! (all I was missing was a paperclip, a piece of string, and a stick of chewing gum....lol...) I did another recon job on it when we got to the beach, since I could get to my tools easier... made some adjustmenets, and thought I had it fixed for good. This happened many times over and over till I bought a cheap re-pop regulator to get me by. Times were a bit tight then. But that one kept coming apart and inevitably I always had to fix it on the road. Fast forward a couple months and I purchased another one...the URO....(it's winter and doesn't get used much so there wasn't much urgency...just frustrating) Last weekend was perfect here for Feb...and we were rolling in the wagon...so I needed to give my wife a working window GREAT part....!! Very pleased....
    and no...no pictures....don't hate me...

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I hate you. Get back in the delorean and go back and get pitchers!!!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    97 528i
    lmao....I totally deserved that... I actually thought about it too...!! It was a conscious effort to fail...haha.

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Sorry to read of your jack pad rot issue. The Euro guys are experts at this issue due to the fact the poor blokes in England experience this issue frequently due to 350 days of annual rain, followed by snow and clouds. Makes Portland look sunny by comparison.
    Take a step back and evaluate the vehicle as if you were buying it in its current condition. With that in mind, will it meet your expectations with an investment of time, $$, and sweat? Then that is all that matters. If the answer is no, then patch it up, sell it take those funds and pick a different one.
    parts swap time!
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    97 528i
    StephenVA - point taken and lol on the rain in England.
    This is exactly where I am at right now. Trying to evaluate where I want to be with this. The jackpad rot might be the straw that breaks the camel's back...
    For as much money as it will take to address the rust (rockers, jackpad, rear wheel arches, and hatch glass frame, and a spot on the a-pillar) I can buy a rust free car down south and just start swapping stuff. (ie...that white/black one in Atlanta on c/list).
    I thought about moving the wagon, (...and my gsxr is loosely sold ) and maybe getting an e28. I just want something fun and cool to drive and that could be my sportbike and sportscar at the same time. I may also be replacing my wife's 97 sedan with a low mile '00 528 sport which should keep her happy.
    Just sucks to be in this position. I love the wagon because it's unique, it rides great, and personally I love the colors. It's just has character. It's going to have to boil down to the right financial decision.
    Hate to give this up though....IMG-20120916-00786.jpg

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Personally I would pick up a rust free one and flip the existing wagon AFTER moving the unique parts to the new E39 application as none will care. That white wagon would be here if I have not found the one I have now. Make him/her an offer and go for it. Sport/ M parts are all bolt on. This far down the depreciation path there are only a few who even care any more. Wagons are rare and there is a enthusiast following but I think we are definitely in the minority of car enthusiasts ranks - all 100 of us . My car buddies don't get it at all. They don't get the fact I own a minivan too with no kids. Everyone needs a Costco/Home Depot/Walmart vehicle. Those parking lots are as deadly as an underground public lot in a downtown city!
    Last edited by StephenVA; 02-27-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    97 528i
    Stephen - yeah, this is the decision point I am at right now.

What's my next play....? There are tons of options...and there seem to be a LOT of wagons on the market right now....which works well from a selection standpoint. Would prefer a black interior car so I don't have to get into swapping the dash, or at least the lower portion of the dash, but that becomes limiting. (most waggins be tan or gray inside...). If money were no concern....she'd be at the body shop getting the full 9....with a full photo trail (mostly so Geargrinder doesn't find a reason to drive over here and kick my ass for lack of photo's...haha)

I've taken care of this car since it came into the US...(well, after JKT got done with it....)...and am still close with the previous owner. I've been with their family along the way as their fleet of BMW's has grown so it's hard to imagine the wagon ("love" as Cindy would call her....who drives a Carbon Black X5M btw...lol..) in this position. It's carried a lot of emotional value to the PO and myself and I've tried to do it justice while in my possession. I took it over aware of these challenges...(the rust)...it's just progressed faster than imagined....she DESERVES to be fixed....but reality says that's probably not the right path to take.

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Buy the white one and say goodbye to this one. You will be happier in the long run as rust never stops unless you strip the car and dunk it. If you go down that path, I will drive over and hit you in the head.
    Last edited by StephenVA; 03-02-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    97 528i
    If I wake up with a horse head in my bed, I know who it is.....

This is a bummer...been talking with jp5 on the side...(killer japanrot wagon guy...).... The direction he took with that car is similar to what I had planned for mine (except he didn't have the rust problem...). Start by getting the corrosion issues dealt with....then upgrade the brakes (530 fronts, stainless lines, drilled rotors..standard fare...), start to improve the suspension (I'd like it a bit lower...not coil-over stuff, maybe just springs and links, bushings, and maybe add an adjustable rear bar, to trim it up a bit...it is my DD), I have a great set of Racing Dynamics wheels for it (small hub fitment though so would need adapters or have them bored...), you know, just tighten it all up and accentuate what she already is. Then maybe get into some bigger stuff like 530 motor/6spd swap...
    I just wanted it to be with THIS car....sniff....

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Blow your nose and clear your thoughts. The next one will be Ms Right. Everyone has picked a dead horse once in their life. Just move on as it was at the end of its life when you found it.

Most important item on a DD, it starts, stops, and runs to get you from A to B. EVERYTHING else is optional. So with that thought, make sure what you get will be dependable for a long time.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    528iT
    https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6020902676.html

This would make a great platform to transfer over your parts. I'm pissed cuse I paid that much for my own ride and it needs all that work listed and then some

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Ooooh, roll out truck floor....

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...odelCode1=525I
    This is more in line with my recommendations. Pricing is high but you get lower mileage and rust free one owner car.

Pricing is always open to negotiations
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I'm leaning towards fixing the rust. Yea its rust and it sucks to spend money on it but your thinking of committing $3k to $4k on another touring.
    Talk to NordmanMg he just did the rust work on his M5 and is a bodyman by trade I believe. See what he spent and get his opinion on what he thinks yours would cost.

Sounds like you really like the car and it has a very cool history. The effort to purchase and swap everything is not cheap nor easy, just a less dirty job.

If it was about fiscal responsibility none of us would own these cars.

My Cars
    01 540i6, 03 X5 4.4i
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    I'm leaning towards fixing the rust. Yea its rust and it sucks to spend money on it but your thinking of committing $3k to $4k on another touring.
    Talk to NordmanMg he just did the rust work on his M5 and is a bodyman by trade I believe. See what he spent and get his opinion on what he thinks yours would cost.

Sounds like you really like the car and it has a very cool history. The effort to purchase and swap everything is not cheap nor easy, just a less dirty job.

If it was about fiscal responsibility none of us would own these cars.
    Where's the "Like" button?

I think it would totally grind gears to go from something awesome like Carbon Black to something blah like silver. But that's just my opinion.
    2001 BMW 540i6 Anthracite/Sand

1997 BMW 328i - Sold

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I say keep the car and get the rust fixed. Carbon Black on a wagon is nonexistent here in the US, and that interior is crazy awesome. Swapping all of that over to another car would take quite a while to do it right, and there's a good chance that you'll break some of those crazy rare interior pieces so I wouldn't risk it. Plus as the others have mentioned, your car has a cool history that no US-spec touring will have.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    97 528i
    Ha !!! thanks everyone for all the posts... and the compliments..!! I hate to break the car up....and risk breaking things during the swap as noted. The color combo and the history are what make the car what she is. I always like being able to say..."oh no...that's the way she came..." when enthusiasts tell me I did a great job making it look like a 540 M-sport.

I did see those cars that you guys posted up. I've been spending too much time surfing the 'net looking for cars as I contemplated my next move. That 200k mile 5-speed car that itsbrokenagain posted is nice just as it sits !! The one-owner car is just flat out of my budget. My better half's '97 needs to get addressed first...then I'll decide on mine. Happy wife - happy life....

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    97 528i
    So....this silver-haired buy shows up in a stainless steel car....
    this was the forward carrier for the glass on the right front window regulator....that twisted part is where the swaged ball on the cable is trapped. Let me re-phrase that....it's where that ball is supposed to be trapped which moves the car up and down the track. The cable would pop outside the tabs on the regulator track (that keep the cable inside the trough of the track) and when the window went up, that carrier would run into the tab and the ball would disassociate itself from the carrier. This is what I would have to repair on the roadside if the cable popped outside that stupid ass tab...the URO regulators tracks are actually flipped and there are no tabs to catch the cable on...

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    97 528i
    IMG_20160807_085645721_HDR.jpgIMG_20160807_085649993_HDR.jpgIMG_20160423_135234243_HDR.jpgIMG_20160423_135245567.jpg
    you can see how that area is twisted....I would have to "repair" this roadside if/when it failed....re-bend the deformed area, get the ball locked back into it, and close up the guides (white nylon guides) as those would get pried open making carrier loose on the regulator rail...

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    97 528i
    So, I've been struggling with these axle flanges a bit. Both flanges pulled loose from the diff. The flanges would not come fully out (I've seen that where the car actually cannot put power to the axle...), but far enough that the retaining clips are unseated and you will get a few drops of diff fluid on the ground under the rear of the car after she sits. I had it at a friends shop originally (since I just flat could not do the seal replacement and new clip fitment in the driveway. Too much trouble. So (now on a normal lift...lol) we installed new axle seals, new clips, topped off the diff and all was good in the world. About 6 months later the left side pulled loose again. I've seen quite a bit of convo on this stupid-ass issue from track day guys as well as guys just asking "WTF ??" The "corrections" varied from mild to wild...even talks of Porsche flanges or inner CV joints. Even thin spacers being machined to effectively reduce the OAL of the shaft. One diagnosis that caught my eye pointed towards slightly binding inner CV's that don't allow the joint to move (including extend) as it should. Also airtight CV boots, as well as stiff (old) CV boots. Again, these conditions don't allow the axle to elongate when needed and I can see the validity of these theories. This weekend I did the same thing that I did to fix the binding driveshaft CV joint a while back. I pulled the clamps off the small ends of the inboard CV joint boots and injected grease into both of the boots. I used a hand-held grease gun, with a custom-made grease whip hose assembly topped with a narrow probe tip and pushed it into the space between the boot opening and the axle shaft. It took a bit of careful manipulation so as not to puncture the boots. I have pictures to post (not many...) and will do that soon so you guys can see what I'm referring to in case this actually does the trick. I refit that flange and got the clip to lock in....PITA....so hopefully this addresses the issue. (haha...knowing my luck that flange will pop back out on my drive home tonight....lol....) Pics to follow....

'99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast