Thread: Dealership experience asking too much?

My Cars
    78-R100S 16-F30 051200RT

Dealership experience asking too much?

We have been BMW people since the early 70’s. BMWCCA #707 have owned used BMW’s ever since. Usually buying cars with 70K-125K miles. This was our newest and most expensive BMW

April 2016 My return email to the NC dealership who asked if I was still interested in purchasing a car! : I would have stayed another day to finalize a purchase, but the events at the dealership surprised and shocked me and my wife. We left *with no confidence. *We did stop in Va, purchased a 3 series we had seen on our trip down south. *I have been a faithful BMW enthusiast since the late 60’s. Bought our first BMW in Worcester, Ma at a small by todays standard BMW dealer. *The car we we’re interested in at the NC dealership was listed on their web site. After an hour of stalling, as we were leaving we saw our sales associate dancing around the pacers of cars with the key fob high in the air hoping to hear a beep. We left, they called us apparently the car had some wheel theft and paint damage while at the dealership. So the car was in the paint shop. But it took over an hour to locate the car. With Millions of dollars in inventory it would seem simple, to note on *the *inventory number where it is located and status. The dealership giving us excuses just lowered our confidence in the dealership. In the future I hope customers find a different experience than we had. My wife is not a "car person”. *When she rides or drives someone else’s new other than BMW car, she will comment to me that our 10 yr old or more BMW is better. Better in comfort, *secure feeling while in motion, fit and finish.

Oct 2016 Looking for and found a 2016 F30 M sport, dealer customer service loaner 6k miles on the clock. I was very specific about the condition of the car since I was 2400 miles away. The car is mint looks fantastic. I hired an enclosed hauler ready to pick up the car and deliver from Az to NH. Paperwork arrived met with a notary signed all the papers, but something was bugging….check the vin number. The vin number was not for the car I had purchased! Meanwhile BMW of NA wanted to know how my purchased went. I answered all the questions honestly, which were not flattering to the dealership. Nine days later the correct paperwork was on its way back to the dealership. The car was picked up 7 days later we met the shipper. We took a movie of the car as it exited the hauler. Like new parents watching the arrival of their new baby. First thing I noticed was the front bumper seemed to be an off color, 2nd there were deep stone chips in the hood. When I got home first thing I did was to wash our new baby. Then I looked at the hood at least 20 chips in the hood somme down to the base, one had a minor dent. The bumper small craters witch to me meant it had been repainted. Because the chips weren’t feather sanded when the paint cured the chips showed through. I’ll make the next part short since I could go into detail and this would go on for pages. Now I’m unhappy I specifically asked the sales person to look over the car his description “The car is mint looks fantastic.” That should have been a warning! I contacted the sales manager who went on to explain its a used car that’s to be expected! After several calls the conversation was going nowhere to my liking. At home I took the car to 2 professional shops one of which has done work for me before. They picked out more chips and commented it looked like storm damage and a front bumper with a nonprofessional paint job! My wife wants me to settle, but its bugging me. BMW dealerships represented a high caliber of dealerships. Should I not expect professional treatment? The dealership is part of a large group international auto group, a Fortune 500 and Russell 2000 bla bla. So I called them explained my case, they seemed concerned and asked for photo’s which I sent. Next dat I got a call from the general manager of the dealership. Explained my side that I asked specific questions about the condition, any dents, scrapes, tears, “Oh looks great! “.

My two experiences in 6 months opposite ends of North America I’m puzzled. Did I expect too much, should I have expected a more professional treatment? I’d like feed back. By the BMWNA never called or returned and email !

The F30 Is under a cover in my dry heated basement hiding form the notorious salted roads here in New England. In the spring the hood and front bumper will be properly painted to color match by a professional. Then I would be happy to bring my car to a show and shine event. Msport-chip-00148.JPGMsport0006.jpg
    Last edited by Roadman; 12-14-2016 at 09:14 PM.
    Roadman
    WHTMTS, NH
    96-328iC
    02-323i
    78-R100S

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    BMW dealerships represented a high caliber of dealerships. Should I not expect professional treatment?
    Is there something that BMW does that makes you think the owners of dealerships are any different than, say, a Ford dealership? I don't honestly know and my first thought is that anyone that owns a BMW dealership is just like any other dealer and with just as much chance to screw someone over who's 1000's of miles away.

I don't think you're out of line to expect professional and courteous service, from any business owner.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    I hired an enclosed hauler ready to pick up the car and deliver from Az to NH.
    Rock chips are very normal by Arizona standards, as soon as a new car rolls off the lot it will pick some up. Heck even some brand new cars will get some just on test drives around the dealers... repainting front bumpers to conceal this isn't new either, it's a little suspect I admit but that's pretty standard dealer practice. Looks like that car was highway driven here in AZ and it shows. If the only issues are the rock chips, and it sounds like they are or at least they are the most major issue (I can't tell the front bumper is a different color and I have a good eye for that stuff), then I would move past it and avoid buying cars from AZ in the future. Great to buy 20 year old cars from here because they won't rust, but new cars do pick up rock chips very quickly. I got 3 rock chips on my 20 minute commute yesterday. As I much as I hate to "side" with any dealer in any situation, in this case I don't think they are at fault and I don't think they were misrepresenting the car. Anyone from AZ would see that as "mint condition"

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    78-R100S 16-F30 051200RT
    Not that I want to...but point taken. I had a business in the early 70's installing audio in "euro" cars. I ran ads in car clubs and would install audio systems in people driveways. With my 68 Saab 95 some basic tools and inventory I was rolling audio center. The one thing that has stuck with me was how a used car dealer would take a in trade. Days later after a wash some rattle can primping, "wah la" it was on front line with a new sparkle. Just like in the movies used car dealers were a in class of their own. In their one stall/office, walls lined with more rattle cans than tools they serviced cars. Your right although I had hoped the opposite, BMW is just an another vinyl siding salesman looking to hustle.
    Roadman
    WHTMTS, NH
    96-328iC
    02-323i
    78-R100S

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Having worked a the dealer for number of years, pretty much their a mess. The sale man don't know a shit, can't remember shit, don't give a shit. Think about it the dealership sells and repair cars, have the best equipment, yet they still suck. We had a used car manager who would take off facory rims but on aftermarket non hub centric rims, then the Customer would eventually figure out he had a slight shake in the front end, then keep coming back to complain about it. Or I would always walk by this locker stacked up with CD players, I finally ask about it and found out they would take them out of cars, the finance or the sales would resale them, giving the customer a choice of a new one or a used one. It goes on and on. Or how about fixes for the cars where the independent shop can replace or turn the plastic gear in the transfer case motors, but the dealer can only sell the whole motor and BMW just this year 2016 released an sib about replacing said gear, this transfer case gear problem started in 2001. So just find the car you want go in with the lowest of expectations and buy it. Oh and always remember the service advisor could be on 100% commission so don't take all there recommendations for repairs to seriously. Remember you don't have to fix any thing unless it is a real safety concern.