Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Lit Banana Drift Car E36

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I originally ordered a chase bays but they decided it wasn't worth shipping so now I have this one
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-St...zOcaAuBD8P8HAQ

wish I had this one
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Adjust...YxEaAj4R8P8HAQ

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Stock ftw! Even though it was $20 less than an aftermarket one.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ok, preliminary results from my mini bluetooth jamzbox shootout:

This one sounds surprisingly great, and is surprisingly small:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BUT!!! It only paired with 1 of the three phones I tried to pair it with.

This one sounds shockingly great (contrast against "surprisingly" great), it has more volume, slightly clearer sound, and a subwoofer on each end. It's a badass:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far I have tried to pair it with two different phones, and it paired with them without any difficulty. It is more likely to sound good in a loud car due to overall greater sound volume, and more clarity along with subs... The Anker is getting returned tomorrow.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Does the JBL work while charging? and 3.5mm input? Would just need some sort of mounting bracket.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ummmm, I'll have to see if I can figure that stuff out. My wife is hogging it right now. Not jamz...

By the way, upon further investigation, it looks like the Anker might have paired with one more of the phones than I thought it did, it is just a little bit goofy about it.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Capture.PNGCapture.jpg

First picture is the T for the front lines. Second picture is the prop valve on the driver's shock tower that I replaced and where you put the rear line.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    Let me know on the hood as well. I want one I can put one of these vents on.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-max-style-...VXlnln&vxp=mtr
    It's stylish and functional for getting some air out of the bay.
    I'm all about the DMAX style hood, but I didn't want to go through the process of glassing/blending a fiberglass vent into a stock metal hood and having it flex and break... so I'm working on making a metal one that I'm going to weld into the hood. We'll see how it turns out, because I'm not a master welder, but I'll post pics when I have it done.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know on the hood as well. I want one I can put one of these vents on.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-max-style-...VXlnln&vxp=mtr
    It's stylish and functional for getting some air out of the bay.
    I'm all about the DMAX style hood, but I didn't want to go through the process of glassing/blending a fiberglass vent into a stock metal hood and having it flex and break... so I'm working on making a metal one that I'm going to weld into the hood. We'll see how it turns out, because I'm not a master welder, but I'll post pics when I have it done.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    Agreed. I was only going to do the vent on a fiberglass hood, not on the oem metal.

In other news, my truck was broken into again! Overnight at home (in a gated community BTW) they took my radio faceplate. It's almost like the world doesn't want me to have jamz.
    Last edited by Press22; 01-23-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    WOOT WOOT got my car back from the fabricator today.

Here's the design he went with for the transmission mount. For the selector rod we just shortened the stock one.
    At first I was hesitant about combining the mounting points but it makes it so damn easy to install and remove that I like it.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Aside from the bushing looking a little small, looks sexy to me!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Some light but good progress this weekend.

Downpipe wrapped and installed. Funny how a Supra downpipe fits just about perfect in the E36.
    Is that first bung too close to the turbo for a wideband? The lower too bungs are too close to the manifold and wastegate to put a O2 sensor there.

Intake manifold went on completely with new gaskets and all. Made and ran fuel lines to the regulator and back of the fuel rail.

I also wired the engine for the most part. I'm still missing a AEM IAT Sensor which I completely blanked on buying.
    NGK BKR7E installed and gapped to .028 (works best in my E28 JZ)

It's basically ready to start except for two things:
    - Valve covers aren't on because I haven't tapped them for the catch can fittings.
    - Haven't made lines for the oil cooler.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I wouldn't think it would be an issue, every subaru downpipe has the wideband bung in about the same distance

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    I wouldn't think it would be an issue, every subaru downpipe has the wideband bung in about the same distance
    Just worried about toasting the sensor.

Photo with the actual harness. I'm definitely impressed by the build quality from Wiring Specialties. The only strange bit is that I have 3 connectors for coolant temp. Two are stock JZ and one for a BMW temp sensor. Probably for the gauge cluster but I'm not worried about it.

Two wires off to the right going over the fuse box are for the AEM Map and IAT.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '83 320i turbo,'80 320iS
    Don't worry about toasting the sensor, I run a performance shop and have done tons of them that far with no issues.
    -Christo-
    >1983 320i, K-Jet turbo, Eurometric poly, Ground control coil overs, Koni yellows, rear sway, full camber/toe adjustment, Ireland Engineering, LSD. 15x7 OZ Alpina reps, 205/50/r15 Kumho Ecsta XS
    >1986 325es, RB20det, Poly rear everything, e46 front control arms, rear camber/toe adjustment, 17x9 STR, BC Coils, 250whp 2300lbs w/o driver

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    In case any of you guys wanted to watch the video :p
    I'll be starting the car sometime this week.

instagram @andyitslit

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    In regards to the portable speaker discussion...the Amazon Basics one is actually really great. I have one in my garage. Bluetooth, 3.5mm audio, rechargeable, and can be "hardwired" to power through the charging port (mini USB).

I have one in my garage and it works really well. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00EHZYWGM

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Oh hell, I forgot I was supposed to report back on the JBL being able to be used while charging and connected by 3.5mm cord. But the truth is despite this awesome piece of equipment getting used a ton by everyone in my family, nobody has plugged it into a 3.5mm cord. I keep forgetting to grab one out of my wife's car to try it out. At any rate, I am sure it will work.

After being used a lot, and at pretty high volumes frequently, we have just charged this sucker for the second time. I definitely plays via bluetooth when plugged into the charger.

My curiosity is why you would plug it into the cable when it has bluetooth? Must be for an application I'm not thinking of obviously..

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    My curiosity is why you would plug it into the cable when it has bluetooth? Must be for an application I'm not thinking of obviously..
    I'm one of those broke people who still has an iPod and no unlimited data on phone to stream music with.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    this thread is great.
    i've recently removed the entire stereo system from the #gripmissile and am eagerly awaiting the final results for the best bluetooth speaker. (for me to mount to the half-cage)

also, 1jze36 = party time.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    this thread is great.
    i've recently removed the entire stereo system from the #gripmissile and am eagerly awaiting the final results for the best bluetooth speaker. (for me to mount to the half-cage)

also, 1jze36 = party time.
    thanks, I love your car by the way. secretly been subscribed to the thread for about a year.
    After we find the best speaker we should come up with a fixed mounting bracket no? hahah

Not much update, in case anybody tackles this swap with a Collins ZF adapter and Freed Engineering/Condor Solid mounts the length of the driveshaft should be 54 1/4" from flange to flange
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Sorry guys, I ended up using today's free time working on the 540 turbo project. I'll try to remember to check that out tomorrow!

By the way, my mounting bracket of choice is a velcro strap haha...

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix

Not much update, in case anybody tackles this swap with a Collins ZF adapter and Freed Engineering/Condor Solid mounts the length of the driveshaft should be 54 1/4" from flange to flange
    Did you decide to go w/ a one piece driveshaft? Or are you shortening the front section of your stock one? I'd love to do this swap, but ideally I'd use a set of engine mounts that would retain stock transmission location, even if it plays negatively w/ weight distribution.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by beat328i View Post
    Did you decide to go w/ a one piece driveshaft? Or are you shortening the front section of your stock one? I'd love to do this swap, but ideally I'd use a set of engine mounts that would retain stock transmission location, even if it plays negatively w/ weight distribution.
    I don't think that would be possible without modifying the subframe or JZ oil pan, or having the engine sit super high. As it is the oilpan is about 2mm away from the side of the subframe.

I'm shortening the front section of my stock driveshaft, hopefully it works well enough that I don't need a one piece for a while.
    EDIT: Called 3 different driveshaft shops, none will touch a BMW shaft. One knows a shop in California but the quote was $650 to shorten and refresh... Meh. If anyone knows of any places that can make me a single piece for a reasonable price (sans BMW upcharge) let me know.
    Last edited by Press22; 02-07-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast