Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Lit Banana Drift Car E36

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You're basically right. When you're on throttle, you have to mash the brakes really hard to get them to do anything. Then if you hit vac, BAM, locked wheels. So just don't lift!

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Well I got the flu or something thanks to someone from work so I didn't get to do much. Picked up the remaining sensors needed for the engine.

Just something I wanted to point out on the cam sensors is that they have this rubber seal that eventually goes bad. Oil then travels through the sensor into the connector pins and causes a bad reading. This made the E28 run crappy for a long time until I found it. I only need 1 cam sensor technically since I'm using AEM but I grabbed two to have a spare and since the block off plates are pretty much the same cost. (which is dumb for a lil plate)
    Last edited by Press22; 12-19-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Alright I was able to test fit the manifold. It slips in just barely next to the booster, definitely something I recommend having on before installing the motor for anyone who's going to do the swap.

I also jacked up the transmission to see how much further back it sits and the room I'd have for fuel lines to the rail.

Guestimate measurements since I'm still too sick to get under the car is about 2" further back.

Also does anyone have any good ideas on where to mount a fuel pressure regulator? Firewall seems like the best place if I can make a plate for the blower motor hole.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Another small update. I bought more parts. YAY PARTS PARTS PARTS PARTS.

Aeromotive FPR. 30-70psi should do just fine.

Oil Cooler and some fittings. Hoses were on backorder from summit (lol????) so I'm still waiting on those.

Then I went ahead and replaced cam seals and got the engine timed, alternator on also.

I ran into an issue. The bolt for the serpentine tensioner stripped.
    Went and ordered a 2JZ one on eBay.

I'm still unsure of where to mount the FPR. My initial idea was to make a plate for this firewall hole out of ABS (stealing the idea from Mike) but I'd have to ditch the windshield wipers.

Regardless pretty much on the home stretch and provided there aren't many more hiccups I should be firing the beast up in the following weeks.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    provided there aren't many more hiccups I should be firing the beast up in the following weeks.
    Famous last words

GL brother!

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    98 328is
    stupid question possibly. i understand that the driveline was pushed back with the mounts. Why is this? This would be an almost drop in affair if the mounts put the motor where it would be with the adapter. i was thinking of doing this in my 328 if i ever blew it up, but i dont have the budget or the know how and welder to make new mounts and new driveshafts and stuff like that.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    stupid question possibly. i understand that the driveline was pushed back with the mounts. Why is this? This would be an almost drop in affair if the mounts put the motor where it would be with the adapter. i was thinking of doing this in my 328 if i ever blew it up, but i dont have the budget or the know how and welder to make new mounts and new driveshafts and stuff like that.
    I wouldn't recommend a JZ swap if your budget is small. I can't weld, I pay someone for all that :P

Put on these compression fittings for fuel line, they're a pain. I tightened them a little more after the picture but if they leak I'll probably just ditch the whole hardlines and use steel braided all the way from the tank.

I also put in the AKG shifter and started making supra noises with my mouth.
    It needs a selector rod about half the length of the stock selector rod.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    I used those compression fittings for all my fuel lines, they're still working great

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    I used those compression fittings for all my fuel lines, they're still working great
    How tight are you able to get the joints? I know it's normal for AN not to touch but these have quite a gap.

Oil Cooler Sandwich Plate in from Earls with a driftmotion adapter. Will probably use some 90° fittings over these 45°. and that hose right above is for the stock water-cooled oil cooler, which I ordered a plug for... guess that never arrived...

instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    they look pretty much like yours. The first one I overtightened and it actually ripped the end off the tube I was putting it on, and it still had a gap like that. I powered my fuel pump with a power probe and tested the system for leaks before I tried to start the car, and I would recommend doing that on yours as well. I found I didn't tighten the fitting in to my pressure gauge well enough and it was leaking right on to my header.

My Cars
    1999 325i, 1996 RSTi Cou
    Hey man great build so far! Sparking an interest in this swap after reading through yours.

With the Wiring Specialties harness, how difficult would you say the wiring process is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by rstaylor25 View Post
    Hey man great build so far! Sparking an interest in this swap after reading through yours.

With the Wiring Specialties harness, how difficult would you say the wiring process is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Incredibly easy. They make it plug and play, everything is labeled. Even making your own harness isn't too difficult. Since I know where everything goes on a JZ it'll take me about 5 minutes. It's something I want to do already but want to get it on video for the youtube account.

Edit: I'm a bit of a wiring nerd though. Dunno why it scares so many people off.
    Last edited by Press22; 01-08-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Edit: I'm a bit of a wiring nerd though. Dunno why it scares so many people off.
    Because the average guy doesn't know what the point of relays are; Or the difference/relationship between volts and amps. All it takes is some probing without fuses, connecting wires together you think go together for your first engine bay fire or wire meltdown.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Because the average guy doesn't know what the point of relays are; Or the difference/relationship between volts and amps. All it takes is some probing without fuses, connecting wires together you think go together for your first engine bay fire or wire meltdown.
    True. More people should just take the time to learn it though. I know some guys who could tear down and rebuild a engine but will struggle to wire a electric fan.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Engines come with a manual. Making your own wiring harness does not. There's a fine line between mechanic and a true tuner.

Rabble rabble rabble. Back in MY day...

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Engines come with a manual. Making your own wiring harness does not. There's a fine line between mechanic and a true tuner.

Rabble rabble rabble. Back in MY day...
    Quoted for pure awesomeness!

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    isn't a wiring harness manual called a diagram?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Lol well yea. But there's servicing a factory harness, and wiring in your own stuff.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Building it is easy.
    sourcing all the materials is the headache.

In other news, still have not received my AN hoses from SummitRacing. lol
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    cool build.

don't forget to check out Speedway Motors for parts. they are the company i shop against Summit.
    and then there's Amazon.

those are my parts holy trinity. i usually build the same order in all 3 and then cherry pick to get the best total pricing.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    cool build.

don't forget to check out Speedway Motors for parts. they are the company i shop against Summit.
    and then there's Amazon.

those are my parts holy trinity. i usually build the same order in all 3 and then cherry pick to get the best total pricing.
    Thanks! I'll checkout speedway motors. I usually just do summit since most of their stuff is in Reno, NV and I'm in Vegas so it's 1 day shipping.
    But who's to expect they'd be backordered on AN 6 and AN 10 lines. :P

Got the Hard Motorsport Dash vent cover plate thingy majiggy today. I was gonna make it but they had a half off sale so what the hell right?
    (currently crying over not having a radio in the racecar though... no more sweet tunes on grid )
    Last edited by Press22; 01-09-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Thanks! I'll checkout speedway motors. I usually just do summit since most of their stuff is in Reno, NV and I'm in Vegas so it's 1 day shipping.
    But who's to expect they'd be backordered on AN 6 and AN 10 lines. :P

Got the Hard Motorsport Dash vent cover plate thingy majiggy today. I was gonna make it but they had a half off sale so what the hell right?
    (currently crying over not having a radio in the racecar though... no more sweet tunes on grid )
    and i like Summit because they have a warehouse ~5 hours away in Ohio. one day shipping. MOF, the bits i ordered today for my oil pressure sending unit relocation will be here tomorrow. gotta love Summit. Speedway is a little slower, but no slouch. Amazon is great if you have Prime....but no Prime, no joy.

i saw HardMotorsport was blowing out those dash/vent plate deals. i almost pulled the trigger, but i have an OE radio delete plate to mount the gauges in and i'm keeping heat. it can be cold/wet here any time of year and i don't want to fight to keep my windows clear. (not that i can reach them when harnessed in)
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    98 323
    the idea of not being able to jam out to new new music on track makes me sad
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    the idea of not being able to jam out to new new music on track makes me sad
    I'm not giving up. trying to think up a workaround to this. all I really need is a on/off switch and volume, I always leave a mp3 connected. maybe some sort of hidden radio

Edit: Mount this on my future rollcage lmfao

Last edited by Press22; 01-09-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    E34, E36, E36/7
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    cool build.

and then there's Amazon.

speedway is just across town from me. Came in handy when sourcing fittings for my E34 let me tell ya
    13 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 - Daily Driver - Wife
    97 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    95 325i Sedan - Project #ebayE36
    90 BMW 535i/5 - i should probably work on this again...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast