Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project Lit Banana Drift Car E36

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I was recently in a head on collision on course. I'm 100% a believer in hans now. I don't really see the halo helping much more than a hans and at least the hans isn't as much of a visual obstruction. How about halo OR hans?

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I'm just curious, how does a head-on collision happen in drifting? You realize that implies that you were involved in a collision where the other vehicle was coming at you with some amount of speed, right? Did that really happen? If so how?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 coupe
    Maybe you don’t play tandem because of your autotragic personal handicap, but most of us do, and sometime when you spin people don’t anticipate it and ramrod you, or vice versa. Either way, it happens, so that would be my guess

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Halo seats aren't bad. They're negligibly more difficult to get in and out of, and the only time they restrict vision (at least that I've noticed in 2 seasons of having one) is when reversing. You have to use mirrors and/or a spotter, no looking over your shoulder.

and yep, picking up some arm restraints Friday to try and get used to them.

Was the 255 thing a rule before? That's the biggest deterrent to me competing this year.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestokman View Post
    Maybe you don’t play tandem because of your autotragic personal handicap, but most of us do, and sometime when you spin people don’t anticipate it and ramrod you, or vice versa. Either way, it happens, so that would be my guess
    Those are the types of collisions I expect to see also, and don't really fall into what is considered a "head on," because the vehicles are basically heading the same direction. I.e., no opposite direction momentum to jack up the physics of the impact. I get that it isn't pleasant, but in terms of motorsports wrecks, it's comparatively soft.

The whole safety regs area is a really tricky area, and kind of a slippery slope. For example, without having people held so tightly in place by shoulder restraints, the need for a HANS device is mitigated to a huge degree because the neck doesn't end up having to suffer all of the focused force, which is what causes the basal skull fractures. I'm not saying that tight shoulder restraints or HANS devices are bad, but just that there's more to this stuff than meets the eye at first glance. I had Dr. Hubbard in my office one time to talk about his research in developing the HANS device, and how that same research impacted on children in booster seats, and it was pretty eye opening.

I and my staff had noticed a startling result of booster seat use, that was kids riding in them were being killed 6 times as often as kids in regular lap and shoulder belts, and in fact, they were dying at the same rate as booster seat aged kids who were riding in back seats completely unrestrained. When I asked the people who were doing the NHTSA funded booster seat research for the strain gauge readings for the upper spine area in their crash tests, they refused to supply them. Their reason was that their gauge must be broken because kids would be getting killed in booster seats. I shit you not...

And by the way Mike, thanks for the excuse, but really the reason I don't play tandem is just because I'm not good enough! Lol. Well that and that they won't let me other than a "loose tandem" here and there because I don't have a cage. But really I'm just not good enough and therefore far too likely to needlessly wreck someone's car (and my own, but that hardly matters, haha).

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I wasn't driving. I was shotgun with a guy on his first day. It's a long story. I suppose it's my failure as an instructor for not stopping him but he crashed in such a weird way that I didn't believe it was happening.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    I'm still too fuckin awkward in front of the camera.

instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    I wouldnt have been able to control myself if i couldnt hit full boost lmaoo, sounds good tho!

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Switched away from running no IAC to this Ford IAC with a kit from Powerhouse Racing.
    It's PWM and frees some outputs on the AEM.
    This will make warming up the car and street driving much better.

Went to the junkyard and a vert had a full VIS kit. The hood was carbon fiber however and I totally took it.
    Already ordered aerocatches for it and debating some hood vents.

And my SLR arrived so I got to installing it right away. Got late and didn't finish but should be able to wrap it up Wednesday when I have time again.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    none
    Question about the SLR kit, do the inner shank/balljoint replacement hang real low? ive seen some that look like the stick 2 inches out of the control arm and for a full time stance enthusiast/part time skid racer that wont work lol.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Probably an inch and some change. There's really no way you'll hit it on anything though.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Front Steer Tire RS-RR 235/40 17

Hooked up the SLR Super Angle Kit. Left my swaybar disconnected. Anyone actually run the front swaybar on E36 with SLR?
    Hopefully getting tires mounted and hood painted this week.
    Happy New Year!
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    none
    Not SLR, but I broke an end link and didn't run a front bar at my last event and it felt great, keep in mind I'm stock power so, lower speed. might connect it for my next event and see how it feels. i know Chelsea ran a front bar

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have a front sway bar connected to my SLR kit, I may ditch it when I get new (stiffer) coilovers.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Smallish update.
    - Got a little AEM air filter with a fancy water splash thing since fenders are cut.
    - Raised the car about 2" in the front in an attempt to clear the wheels. Needs to go up about .5" more and cut the front bumper/nose panel for the clearance needed to run that caster.
    - Pink steering wheel because why not
    - Started to install the Felony Form. Front was a breeze but the rear has been a pain, mostly the cutting part though.
    - Got the CF VIS Hood painted and with some MKAH extreme hood vents. They're rad

instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    none
    I just had to do the same trimming. My advice is to lose those two bottom rivets closest to the wheel well in the front, it lets the fender flex out if it hits the tire. I just put a rivet in it for looks (cause i already drilled the hole) but its not actually into the metal. I thinks its saved mine from cracking a few times when hitting bumps on lock.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    I get excited when this gets updated lol, looking real good!

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by e30 394 View Post
    I just had to do the same trimming. My advice is to lose those two bottom rivets closest to the wheel well in the front, it lets the fender flex out if it hits the tire. I just put a rivet in it for looks (cause i already drilled the hole) but its not actually into the metal. I thinks its saved mine from cracking a few times when hitting bumps on lock.
    Good idea. gonna do that. Any tips for the rear? If you or anyone has a pic of how they cut the rear please share that with me. I had a hard time with it
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    none
    IMG_0090.jpgIMG_0092.jpg

So the first picture was attempt number one, I had a 17x9.5 so I didn't cut a lot away, after I got my 18x10.5 I needed to make room. The second picture the rear bumper is trimmed more, and I radiused it as high as the highest point in the wheel well. If i cut any higher it wouldn't wield yield any more room. There are about 3 layers in there, i thinned it out so i had only the inner wheel well and the outer quarter panel. I used some Loctite adhesive to seal it up. it isn't perfect because i was trying to fix my previous mistakes. and I didn't weld the second time.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    New bash bar with a fancy strap that some dude in the race classifieds section makes

Going to rewire the E28 completely and ditch the stock wiring and fusebox. Probably going with a painless setup so I got a AF8 Crimper, still need to pickup some turrets. Side note the 1JZ in the E28 has a bad headgasket.

Redid the valve covers in yellow powder coat, I always put tools on it so hope it holds up

Finally got a shifter and wheel that feels good for the sim racing / drift simulator. Getting in practice before I tandem with mike van shellenbeck (sp?)

Whats next... well I gotta make sure the front doesn't rub or hit anything. Currently hits frame rails at not even full lock. Rubs on the front from the caster but I can either pull some out or cut the bumper/nosepanel
    Go get a fuckin tune. IDK why I'm scared
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2016 BMW 328i
    This thread is everything I've thought of doing, maybe with the exception of using a CD009 instead and putting 325is badges on the back. Can't wait to see more.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Just started tuning with Ian & FSR Motorsports. It's remote tuning so it'll take a while but excited to be near the end.

instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Sup guys. long time no post anyway not much got done to the car and remote tuning kinda fell off (my fault really)
    Finally found a tuner and got on the dyno this past weekend.

Man I was so stressed the whole day. to make matters worse as soon as I got the car filled up with gas it and headed to the dyno my fuel pump hanger cracked and became a slow leaking pile of shit and because of the crack it overfilled the tank

Luckily the tuner and a guy at the shop lent me tools and plenty of rags to soak up some fuel and i got it just tight enough that the leak was slow and we were able to continue tuning. Ford IAC seemed to have issues so we unplugged.

PUMP 91 octane (e85 shortage recently in vegas) at 15LBS to keep it a safe reliable party car. We got to 400whp.

all in all I'm pretty happy.

EDIT: Any of you E36 guys run dual pumps on each side? Trying to avoid fuel starvation. It's that or ball out on a radium surge tank.
    Last edited by Press22; 10-01-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    What's up with the lack of E85 in Vegas? The guy I sold my turbo'd 540 to has to go clear up to the north side of Vegas to get it I think. And he lives south of town.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    What's up with the lack of E85 in Vegas? The guy I sold my turbo'd 540 to has to go clear up to the north side of Vegas to get it I think. And he lives south of town.
    Only one gas company carried it originally, Rebel locations. They pulled out so nobody had it for about a month. Then one truck stop saw the demand and carried it but they only have 2 locations so they ran out constantly.

I've also heard the quality sucked but I can't confirm.
    instagram @andyitslit

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast