Thread: What to Look for When Buying a Used E90?

My Cars
    08 E90 M3 Sedan

What to Look for When Buying a Used E90?

Hi guys, I've started actively looking for an '08 E90 M3 but I don't want to end up getting one that has hidden problems. I found a general used car inspection guide which is helpful but it's not model-specific. I was wondering if there's any specific issues with this model that I should tell my mechanic to look out for if I bring a potential purchase in for an inspection?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    If I remember correctly, those M3s may have issue with their coils burning out. I'm sure other members will chime in. Best of luck!

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Try to get a Blackstone analysis. The 2008-2010.5 used bearings with copper in them. If there's a high copper content in the oil analysis, you'll need to change the bearings out, which is around $2,500.
    In the newer engines, BMW changed the bearings and the oil analysis is pretty much useless for this.
    Many people are changing out the bearings anyway because it's a known BMW issue with many /M engines. There are now aftermarket bearings that seem to hold up better than the stock bearings.

The throttle bodies also go bad and are pretty pricey to fix.
    In really warm climates, the AC's tend to burn out if they leave it on all the time.

That's really it.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    08 E90 M3 Sedan
    Thanks for the specifics, guys. I saved it as a note in my phone so I can be sure to have a mechanic check these specific points out when I've got a used car I'm thinking of buying. Appreciate it!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    That car was worth it though... what an engine!
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?