Thread: 335i engine knock

My Cars
    BMW 335

335i engine knock

Engine oil changed in may. Jiffy lube put in Mobil 10 40. Receipt says 7 quarts . car should have 5 30 LL-1. Started 2 hear lifter noise. Noise got louder and quiter as a few months went by. Went back to jiffy lube at 121k miles original oil change at 117k. Heard rod knocking. Went back to jiffy lube. Check oil sensor, says +1 quart . added 4 quarts to get oil light off! Went to my BMW tech after engine blew 2 days later. Drained the oil and found only 5 quarts of oil in the car 1 day later. Please help. I'm stranded with a dead BMW 335. Contacted jiffy lube corporate he tried to pin me in a corner trying to make me prove it was my fault for not checking my engine oil and said that the oil was approved for my car. Did u know I have been told they use this on every BMW. To top it off I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, racing thoughts, and I'm not sure but it appeared to me once my mind cleared up that they could have possibly been taking advantage of me and my condition. Help!

- - - Updated - - -

Addendum. I am trying to get my ducks in a row and need input to ream jiffy lube for this. The engine costs 15000 plus installation. I am stuck on the street .

My Cars
    are slow
    10W40 isn't going to do anything bad to the N54, and 7 quarts is correct. No 10W40 is approved for LL-01 though.

It had to have been burning an insane amount of oil, but Jiffy Lube may not actually be at fault for the death of your engine.
    Last edited by XAlt; 12-10-2016 at 04:04 PM.

My Cars
    BMW 335
    I just lost my job and I am seeing a therapist. Was technically staying Ina shelter after losing just about everything. I was stranded on the side of the street. My family is out of state.
    OK me of the guys there was a cool guy who had food reviews on yelp, and said they do oil changes on BMWs. Believe it or not, I'm an Infiniti and Honda salesman for years, I bought the car for the rate and the approval just to reestablish my credit with the medical collections.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and by the way, if you don't own a late model ban

- - - Updated - - -

No, this car is an e 92 n54 coupe.

- - - Updated - - -

No, my car has no leaks no accidents, a clean Carfax, a California car, and I have had 3 BMW techs tell me that this car doesn't burn oil like that at all

My Cars
    2001 525it
    First off, freaking jiffy lube. I would not let them touch a lawnmower let alone a 335, second if they are using the oil hose reel system it has a counter on it, so in goes 7 qts, but did they check to see if the level is registering on the electronic dipstick? It takes a awhile after changing the oil.

My Cars
    BMW 335
    Basically , in a nutshell, the guys didn't put any oil in the car. My car has no leaks , no internal issues , and they were the last guys to change the oils. It had one spark plug off, from some guy who put one gallon of cheap gas. My question is how to deal with the problem. Directly with an attorney?

- - - Updated - - -

Get all the ducks in a row as well as the other complaints from other people , receipts, etc.

My Cars
    2015 335xi, 97 240SX
    The only way it could be their fault is if they didn't put the right amount of oil in or they didn't tighten the oil drain plug properly and the oil leaked out of the plug specifically.

However, if either of those were the case, the car would either not have lasted as long as it did, or you would have noticed the oil leak every time you pulled away from a parking spot.

It sounds to me like you were burning oil somewhere (a bad turbo can really do this) and it got too low for too long and the motor blew. This is also pretty easy to see as there will be white smoke coming from the exhaust, especially when you rev the motor a bit and build some boost.

My Cars
    I can tell you right now you're shit out of luck. Going to Jiffy Lube was your first mistake. Secondly, they have teams of high paid lawyers on retainer for exactly these kinds of incidents. I bet you won't get a dime out of them.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    1992 525i, 2007 328i
    OP sounds like a troll to me.

My Cars
    '78 320i
    WHY did it take you so long to go back to Jiffy lube? Jesus, first sound of knocking, I'd be hauling ass to Jiffy lube.