Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Build Tread: An E46 Slide Car

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You had me till "I need AC working"

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    Why? It gets hot in a helmet. Plus, I'm just out there to have fun. A nice cool breeze is as easy as $10 worth of 134a.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Because race car and 2hp.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Because race car and 2hp.
    you do realize when you turn off the AC it's not robbing any power, right?

My Cars
    E46 330
    Quote Originally Posted by welchct View Post
    you do realize when you turn off the AC it's not robbing any power, right?
    Weight, heat, and space. That's what he meant. If it is a race car you will shave weight anywhere you can. If it's a drift car you will shave heat any where you can. If it's going to be modified you will want the space "under the bonnet" for upgrades.
    Last edited by swaneewillwin; 03-19-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    If I can deal without AC in Vegas summers you'll be fine. (I say this knowing nothing about Arkansas weather lul)
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm always being funny. Sometimes I hide a valid point in it. I would def put AC back in my car if it wasn't too difficult. But that's also because I drive my car to and from the track.

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    You guys are way too hung up on me making a system that's already in my car function again. It worked before I pulled the radiator. I just have to recharge it. Like Press22 eluded to, it gets hot here in the summer. And soon I'd like to start traveling further south to Texas for some events. So air conditioning is just something I'd enjoy having in the car. At the moment, the benefits of removing the system just aren't great enough to warrant the work of doing it. If it's in the car, I may as well toss $10 worth of freon back in to it.

Enough about petty things like AC. Let's talk about lightweight flywheels. Yes or no? I can see on one hand where the less mass could allow more power transfer to the tires. But also I could see where the loss in inertia could make clutch kicks try to stall engine speeds faster.

In the off-road world we put heavier flywheels in things to create what feels like a lot more low end torque. So is a light weight flywheel going to be something I really want or do people just buy them "because race car" too?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    why recharge your AC for $10 when you can buy a coolshirt for $1000? lol

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Yeah, because racecar! Spend 100x as much and add weight, but racecar weight! Lol Seems simple, coolshirt FTW.

I'm in Michigan, so I am very jealous of anyone who needs A/C in his drift car...

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix

I also built a little hand brake extension last night. Cool fact. 1" .095 DOM fits over the e-brake handle perfectly. It's almost a press fit. I added a few socket cap screws to secure it in place though. I then finished it off with some tan paint, a twin sick knob from an Atlas II then heat shrunk a grip onto it. It works way better than I figured it would. I thought it would be awkward to pull on because it lifts too. Honestly, it pulls so easily you hardly notice.
    Nice handbrake extension! Fun little story is that someone shared your picture of it in "240sx Owner's Club" on facebook (a notorious shit talking community) and everyone was flaming it. Not to sound like a white knight, but I defended it, a lot of 240 guys don't know shit about cars or know that the e36/e46 handbrake is in such a terrible location. I figured it would work just fine, but I'm glad to hear confirmation of that. I'm probably gonna do something similar in my e36, likely not as long tho.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I feel like it would pull funny. But if it works it works. I hate the factory ebrake stuff though.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    My home depot copper pipe extension was laughed at too but it worked as good as a hydro for the season. Definitely didn't look as legit as your setup haha.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    I feel like it would pull funny. But if it works it works. I hate the factory ebrake stuff though.
    It does. But it's so effortless that you don't notice. You barely have to put any pressure at all on it for the tires to lock up.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It's like a... stroking motion....

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    No, I'll try to get some in car around the shop.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    No, I'll try to get some in car around the shop.
    some stroking in car around the shop....
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Hey, I'm new to this forum, and new to the e46 platform. I've got an e90 335i daily, but I'm hoping to purchase a well priced 02 330i to learn to drift in. The price is right, and it's something I've wanted to do for a while. How much work did you put into relocating the radiator? This isnt something I thought about doing at all, but I'm not sure how much of a problem it'll be while hitting a few events learning to drift.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    If you're new to drifting, spend your money elsewhere. Rear mount radiators are for people who plan on hitting stuff and/or need the extra cooling capacity.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Sweet, glad to hear. I figured it was a heat issue, and I'm not sure I'll be making enough heat my first few events to really worry about it. I AM worried about hitting things, but in my mind it'll be my tail/ sides taking a beating. I'm really planning on getting the Diff welded, and HOPEFULLY finding a nice seat, but for the most part just welding it and starting to learn. The 330 I'm looking at is sadly in great shape, and I'm not sure it'll stay that way!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    It'll work out. Most people bang up their first car. Timid drivers not so much. E46s do tend to have overheating issues in my experience but just a regular upgraded radiator should do the trick.

My Cars
    BMW, Audi, lots of jeeps
    I started my rear mount, moved my focus elsewhere and then after a few events realized I'm a long ways off needing more power. The car is doing great in basically stock form. So for now, I'm going to hold off on that "upgrade". But it's not a difficult modification if you have access to basic fabrication equipment and know how to use it. The theory behind a cooling system is extremely simple. So as long as it can bleed and you are running sufficient air across a properly sized core, there's not much to it.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Hey Welchct. I Ended up buying the e46 I was reffering to, I've since sorted the radiator hose that blew, and for good measure replaced the water pump, got the system bled, and my cooling system seems to be up to the task. Clutch is slipping, and I just ordered parts to do it/ shifter swap to a 545i shifter, which has the exact same angle of teh shifters joints, and is just about 30% shorter. OEM ssk ftw! I'm truly wondering... would you be willing to sell me a handbrake extension? More than happy to pay for the shipping out to me/ Whatever you'd want for the time spent making it/ materials used, I do love how yours looks. I don't have any pipe bending or fabricating equipment of my own, and no access to any, so making one as nice as you have would prove tough. I also hopefully have a 3.38 diff out of an auto 330i coming, and I ordered the rear diff bushing that's failed on my car. I figure I'll weld that up, and let it rip. 3.46's have flanges that are allegedly hard to get off, and I'd be down for a 3.64 but a zhp auto diff is hard to find. Looks like I'm getting this 3.38 for $100 including shipping, so that's nice! I'd love to know more details about the suspension, as I really don't have much of any experience modifying the suspension for more angle. I'm trained in the engineering aspects of the vibration and dampening, but not the physical designs employed.
    Thanks so much for your detailed build! It helps a ton, as someone goign through the same starting troubles as you seem to have gone through.
    Last edited by awp235; 04-25-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast