Thread: So, this double din up front, single in back radio into E36 dash? (Sony XAV-AX100)

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts

So, this double din up front, single in back radio into E36 dash? (Sony XAV-AX100)

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XAV-AX10.../dp/B01MF9W0GU

So, thinking eventually, after a lot of other stuff, this thing might be my best path forward for modernizing the E36 into the new millennium. Like the touch screen, and since I'm what my 19 year old son calls a "shill for the botnet" an android auto platform seems like the best path. Not looking at a Carputer, I'm much more of a plug and play guy these days. So, things I know.

1. HVAC needs to move down below. Cant see images on the computer I'm on now so a lot of the how-twos are written only for me for now, but this piece seems fairly well flat, since I have dual zone digital climate. Other than the bezel issue, it's pretty much unplug the control panel, fish wires down to the lower opening, and reconnect, correct?

2. So, I think the depth on the back of the upper unit is 8 inches or less. That should fit just fine in the E36 stock radio opening.

3. So after fabbing up a nice bezel for the top (does anyone sell a double DIN for the E36?) for the top, looks pretty straightforward.

Am I missing stuff?

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    Bill,

Thanks for the link!!! I never knew there was an option like that out there. I had long considered going double-din but due to install complications, held off. This looks like the ideal solution, should make the custom install that much easier. I have purchased the unit, and will be going forward with an install. I am having a buddy of mine who is an installer at car toys tackle the install, which will be pretty big. Custom 6.5 inch speakers all around, this head unit, an Audison BitOne DSP, a sundown 150w x4 (RMS) amplifier, along with a sundown 4000w rms mono amplifier powering two sundown x-8 subs. I will keep you posted, and will post a thread with pics once everything is complete.

Thanks again Bill!

- Doug in Dallas

My Cars
    1994 325i Convertible
    I too have been waiting forever to be able to install a double-din. I love my e36 'vert, but so unhappy with the radio choices. This became unbearable when I installed Android Auto in my wife's Acura. I was so excited when I found the Sony, and yes it is as easy as it sounds. I was going to wait until I finished my install, but I am so geeked out, I just have to post pictures from my mock-up today.

The fit is great, but it doesn't include any cage to mount. I reused my JVC single din cage. I need to find a double-din plate or fabricate my own.

The HVAC controls and trip computer moved down fine, but again, no real way to secure them. I am still working on that one. Once I have an easy way to secure them (and a way to remove them when I need to change bulbs), I will fabricate the plates for them.

The HU is amazing. It is just as good as my Pioneer Android Auto unit in my wife's Acura. I love the physical volume knob since I don't have steering wheel controls. The screen is great, but I haven't tested it yet in the sunlight with the top down.

I still have a bit of work left to dress it up, but I am SO HAPPY with the unit and love Android Auto. Voice control and navigation is worth it's weight in gold.

I've included the pictures from today, with only about an hour or two invested in the install so far.

https://*******/photos/zZNKwKmvenQsoRUF7
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by whoopus; 02-23-2017 at 08:19 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert - SC'd
    Quote Originally Posted by whoopus View Post
    I too have been waiting forever to be able to install a double-din. I love my e36 'vert, but so unhappy with the radio choices. This became unbearable when I installed Android Auto in my wife's Acura. I was so excited when I found the Sony, and yes it is as easy as it sounds. I was going to wait until I finished my install, but I am so geeked out, I just have to post pictures from my mock-up today.

The fit is great, but it doesn't include any cage to mount. I reused my JVC single din cage. I need to find a double-din plate or fabricate my own.

The HVAC controls and trip computer moved down fine, but again, no real way to secure them. I am still working on that one. Once I have an easy way to secure them (and a way to remove them when I need to change bulbs), I will fabricate the plates for them.

The HU is amazing. It is just as good as my Pioneer Android Auto unit in my wife's Acura. I love the physical volume knob since I don't have steering wheel controls. The screen is great, but I haven't tested it yet in the sunlight with the top down.

I still have a bit of work left to dress it up, but I am SO HAPPY with the unit and love Android Auto. Voice control and navigation is worth it's weight in gold.

I've included the pictures from today, with only about an hour or two invested in the install so far.

https://*******/photos/zZNKwKmvenQsoRUF7

Pics looks good, great to show that it pics no problem. We both have verts, so it will be good to compare feedback once I get it installed. I have digital HVAC controls, so hopefully they will relocate just as easy. Main reason I went with this unit as it has a single din frame and a double din face. I think the key here is to make a clean backplate to make the install look great, choice of finish is important, as well as cut.

My Cars
    1994 325i Convertible
    I think my original post got deleted, so here it is again. Also, I found a guy who makes custom faceplates. This may solve the plate problem and the mounting problem: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-3-Se.../121748311724?

20170222_180310.jpg20170222_180135.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1994 325i Convertible
    My mock-up is still ongoing. I've fashioned a trim plate for the top of the HVAC controls, but it is too tall to fit in the opening and provide friction to lock the two units in place. Not sure if I am going to shorten it or find some other method to fasten the controls. They stay in place for now.

I found a guy on eBay that fabricates metal plates for the radio opening to mount dials and switches. I have requested that he fabricate one with a double din opening. I will let you know what I find out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-3-Se.../121748311724?

Screen is great in the sun. I did get a reflection of a white cup in the cupholder, but other than that, it is great with the top down.
    Last edited by whoopus; 02-23-2017 at 08:30 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325i Convertible
    BTW, here is a link to the photos as I am going: https://goo+gl/photos/URaoJ47kYpJZLRUx6 (replace the + with a . in the URL to follow)
    Last edited by whoopus; 02-23-2017 at 03:36 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325i Convertible
    I received the custom fabricated plate yesterday from ebay member thaison1864. While I rushed the install in my excitement and crinkled the bottom right of the dash opening, I am super pleased with the results. It is so nice to finally have a modern radio in the car for less than $500.

20170228_111345.jpg

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Quote Originally Posted by whoopus View Post
    I received the custom fabricated plate yesterday from ebay member thaison1864. While I rushed the install in my excitement and crinkled the bottom right of the dash opening, I am super pleased with the results. It is so nice to finally have a modern radio in the car for less than $500.

20170228_111345.jpg
    Ah so it is your photo on his listing. I have installed a Nexus 7 tablet in the opening itself so it sits further in. I am in contact with that ebay member to see whether he can make a thicker bezel to fill the space since the tablet sits inside the dash.

I was a little concerned with the craftsmanship of his piece. Did you really have to force it in? It looks like there is a gap on the side and top, is the cutout not straight or is that the unit? Are you happy with it overall?

mybimmer.net used to make nice e36 bezels but he has not responded to any of my emails.
    Last edited by adamnur; 03-07-2017 at 04:55 AM.