RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2007 530i Coolant Hose Identification

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530i

2007 530i Coolant Hose Identification

Does anyone know of a place I can use to help me identify coolant hose/hoses for this car. The one in particular I'm trying to figure out is top center about 1" diameter that is running downward to place yet unknown. The top end of particular hose has a coolant temp sensor mount just above it. Went to leaking last night and left me stranded. Also would it be relatively easy repair?

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Are you able to post a photo of this part? Members here may be able to help you identify it that way.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=17_0741

Even with diagrams like this, it won't be easy to identify exactly which hose you need. Your best bet is to read the part number (11 digits) off the hose. It's probably #7 in this picture, but as you see, the diagram is confusing.

As to whether it's a difficult job -- well, it has some challenges.It's really not much fun dealing with the cooling system hoses on your car, because they run in every direction, and often have one end that's extremely difficult to reach. And then, you need to be kind of familiar with the gentle prying and pulling and wiggling , in removing plastic hose ends, at least where they contact plastic fittings.

You need to catch all the coolant that dumps out (it is highly poisonous), and you need to correctly bleed the system of air when you're done. (This is much easier, in a 2007 than a 2005....but you should really use a battery charger during the process.
    Connect charger.
    Fill expansion tank to just over the full level (look inside; you'll see the marks). You'll want to use 50/50 BMW blue coolant and distilled water mix.
    Turn on ignition without starting engine.
    Set heater temperature to hottest setting. Set blower fan to low.
    Floor the gas pedal for 15 seconds.
    Get out and check the expansion tank neck (cap open) Do you see fluid squirting there? Do you hear a hum of the electric water pump?
    Give it a minute; if you see coolant squirting, even haltingly, it's working.
    For the next twelve minutes, keep an eye on the coolant level; keep it to the full line.
    Then you're done, Disconnect charger, adjust coolant level if necessary, and put the cap on.

EDIT: Oh, make sure your leak is actually the hose itself. I think that particular hose bolts on, at the top, um, with an e-torx maybe. Do you have a set of those? It might be just the o-ring at the top (part #8 in the picture), and maybe, just maybe, you can get away with just replacing that. However, your hoses are ALL due for replacement. They are 10 years old, that's a lifetime, for a hose.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 12-09-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The only hose that has a coolant sensor in it , is the lower radiator hose 17 12 7 521 778, thought this pretty easy to see mounted to the passenger side lower of the radiator look at realeom for parts pictures

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hi, erudite friend,

I'll go with 1" diameter, location dead center top, and sensor is slightly above it: at the top of the hose.

I think:
    Hose, Cylinder Head - Thermostat 11537544638....

I know the hose you reference, though.....

Chris

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530i
    Thanks for all the help and sorry for delay in replying I was having trouble logging in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530i
    My new problem with same hose, after a uneventful installation of new hose the o-ring flange is still leaking. Even after i cleaned off o-ring before installing. I didn't have time to drain an check o-ring for problems today, but wondering if there is anything else I could apply to o-ring to get better seal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2007 525xi
    What is directly behind the upper coolant hose on the e60 engine. Thought it was the hose and replaced. Turns out something behind the hose coming off the engine seems to be leaking. Any ideas whats in that area that could be leaking coolant? Hard to see with an aluminum finned part right in my way.