Thread: Has anyone gotten around tint laws for annual inspection?

My Cars
    E36

Has anyone gotten around tint laws for annual inspection?

Anything under 70% has been illegal here for a while, but now they're testing light penetration at annual inspection time. This is BS.

Nothing looks better than a good tint job, there's no way I'm driving a fish bowl around. F that. 70% might as well not be tinted at all.

I am a mechanic by trade and can inspect my own car or get someone to do it for me, but what is the average enthusiast supposed to do? (And don't say 'obey the law' because **** this law!!!)

What should you do besides take your tint off and reinstall every damn year? I don't have the skill to do it right, I'd have to pay for this every year.

There must be a product that can easily be taken off and reinstalled quickly. Might not look as professional as traditional tint, but has the advantage of easy removal and install without paying hundreds of dollars.
    Last edited by NGC1300; 12-04-2016 at 10:45 AM.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by NGC1300 View Post
    Anything under 70% has been illegal here for a while, but now they're testing light penetration at annual inspection time. This is BS.

Nothing looks better than a good tint job, there's no way I'm driving a fish bowl around. F that. 70% might as well not be tinted at all.

I am a mechanic by trade and can inspect my own car or get someone to do it for me, but what is the average enthusiast supposed to do? (And don't say 'obey the law' because **** this law!!!)

What should you do besides take your tint off and reinstall every damn year? I don't have the skill to do it right, I'd have to pay for this every year.

There must be a product that can easily be taken off and reinstalled quickly. Might not look as professional as traditional tint, but has the advantage of easy removal and install without paying hundreds of dollars.
    I don't think that laws are holy, but not being able to see the driver is pretty annoying.
    If you don't want to be seen in that car, get a car in which you do want to be seen
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by 323i E30 View Post
    I don't think that laws are holy, but not being able to see the driver is pretty annoying.
    If you don't want to be seen in that car, get a car in which you do want to be seen
    Who said anything about not wanting to be seen in the car?

Tint protects the driver and your interior from harmful UV rays. It keeps it cooler in the summer, and it also just looks good.

I have never had to see another driver while driving. I just obey the stop signs, traffic lights, and flash my lights if the need arises.

And if the cops are too afraid to do their jobs while conducting a stop, because your windows are dark; they should quit.
    Last edited by NGC1300; 12-04-2016 at 04:55 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    How dark a tint is has actually very little to do with it's heat and UV rejection properties. There are high quality clear tints that have better heat and UV rejection than some 0% tints. Buy a high quality ceramic tint.

And if the cops are too afraid to do their jobs while conducting a stop, because your windows are dark; they should quit.
    Seriously? Is there a potential for you to get shot doing whatever job you do to justify making such a statement? If you were a cop, would you feel comfortable walking up to every car without having any visibility or any idea what is going on inside the car?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Sounds like a personal problem to me. Sorry. The state has rules, and driving is a privilege. If you want to exercise the privilege, then you have to follow the rules. There is no way around the rules. That's why they call them rules.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    And if the cops are too afraid to do their jobs while conducting a stop, because your windows are dark; they should just shoot first.
    Fixed.

Well, OP, as you're a mechanic and handy with stuff (presumably), why not remove the tint before the inspection and put it back on until the next one. Of course you could also be ticketed, but just explain your views on police courage and I'm sure the judge will side with you.

Probably every state has tint laws, there's no inspection where I live, but there's still a statute on the books about how dark you can go. Suggest you move to a country that respects your desire to go dark.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.