RM European Auto Parts

Thread: n43 misfire

My Cars
    2007 120i E87 LCI

n43 misfire

I bought resently 2007 120i E87 LCI bmw. The engine runs ruffly when I start it cold and yellow engine foult light lights up. Also for the first 5 kilometers the ride is jumpy when I drive at steady speed. OBD reader gives foult code P0304 cylinder 4 misfire detected.

I removed and cleaned the VANOS solenoids and changed their places, but it didn't help at all.

Then I moved the ignition coil from the cylinder 4 to cylinder 3. Now OBD reder gave same foult codes for both cylinders. It seemed that at least one ignition coil is broken.

I bought four new orginal spark plugs and one new ignition coil. When I changed the parts, car ran smoothly for about two weeks with out any problems. Almost same problems started to occur, but not as bad as earlier. When I start the engine cold, it runs again ruffly and the yellow engine foult light lights up, but it goes away fast automaticly. When I drive the car it seems to work fine. So the problem occurs now when the car runs idle. OBD reader gives the same cylinder 4 misfire foult code and today also to cylinder 3.

Do you have idea what should I do next to fix the problem or narrow down the search?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The ignition coil electrical plugs on BMWs of this era sometimes just don't want to make good contact. When you flip down the little lever to draw the plug onto the coil, make sure that you simultaneously squeeze the plug into the coil.

Furthermore, though: did you use an OEM coil , or a cheap Chinese thing from your local parts store? Did you use the factory-specified spark plugs?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2007 120i E87 LCI
    I bought OEM coil.

I have been using the car for a while now. Yellow engine foult light lights up and engine runs a bit ruff. OBD reader gives misfire codes for cylinders 3 and 4. New foult code has come up, P114B. Here is some information about that foult code:

Information saved in Fault code
    Fault text
    Fault description
    Condition for fault identification
    DME
    277C - P114B
    Oxygen sensor trim control diagnosis, bank 1
    Post Catalyst Fuel Trim Via Oxygen Sensor System Too Lean (Bank 1)
    Test condition:
    RICH suspected under consideration of I-component (( 2 (K_LA_TRIM_DIAG_I_MAX_SCHW) recognition of I- component limit) leads to deliberate RICH/LEAN control activation;
    If the pre-catalyst and post-catalyst oxygen sensors respond accordingly a trim control error is recognized.
    Terminal condition: Engine running Voltage condition:
    none
    none
    1) Check intake and exhaust systems for leaks; incl. HFM operation/ ..if no fault is present.. 2.) Conduct oxygen sensor test routine/ 3.) If the test does not produce any results and the trim control error is still present ->Replace the sensor before the catalytic converter
    MIL on after engine runs 2x / no effects on drivability
    Warning light: MIL
    none
    Condition for fault memory entry
    Action in service
    Fault effect and breakdown warning
    Driver information
    Service instruction

This engine has 3 Lambda sensors. Two(O2B1S1 and O2B2S1) before catalysators and one after(O2B1S2). Both sensors before catalysator gives about same values when the car is running. O2B1S2 gives value 0,4xx, it chagges a little but not that much.

Do you have any idea where the problem could be or how to troubleshoot the problem?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Misfire codes and Lean Mixture codes are often directly related. Intake leaks and lean mixtures can easily cause misfires. However, your new code says that the sensor AFTER the cat is saying the mixture is too lean - which would tend to indicate that the pre-cat sensors are not seeing a problem. That could mean that the post cat sensor is bad, or one of the pre-cat sensors is bad....if it's a pre-cat sensor, it's probably the one for bank 2 (cylinders 3 and 4) because the misfires would likely contaminate it.

However, I'd highly recommend that you chase down the misfires, first and foremost....and deal with the mixture code, if it still persists after the misfires are gone.

Realoem isn't working right now, so I can't look up your car, and I'm not familiar with this engine. Is it a direct injection engine? If so, carbon clogging of the intake passages is quite possible. Meanwhile, though, have you unplugged both coils 3 and 4 and cleaned the plugs (both sides) with electrical contact cleaner, and very carefully made sure to push the plugs all the way on to the coils?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2016 F31, 2007E87LCI
    Hello,

I have exactly the same issue with misfires on cyl 4. Car is a E87 120i 170bhp with the N43B20A engine. For weeks I'm trying to solve this problem. Car runs rough on idle, engine starts to shake. after 2 min EML comes on and than the engines realy start to run rough. Reading out Always says it,s misfire on cyl 4. With the AC on engine runs smouther but lost like because the RPM's are higher. What have I done so far(evrything with parts):

New coils
    New spark plugs
    Renewed all the sealings/gaskets/O-rings of the air intake
    vacuumhoses
    Both O2 sensors before cat.
    Cleaned injectors
    leak test in all 4 cylinders.

Any body has an idea what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    BMW 120i 170hp
    Hello @Bassie,
    Have you found the root cause of your issue?