88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16

Rosberg Retires

04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 IR + 13 Honda
    I just read this and I was floored by it, but clearly understand where he is coming from. It takes courage and clarity of thought to take such a step and give up a winning cockpit. Godspeed to him!

I doubt Wehrlein will get it (but why not, when you get good talent for cheap $), Extracting Alonso or Vettel wont happen, because that would end up costing Merc big bucks! I also have a feeling, Vettel will retire too once his Ferrari Contract is over.

Poor Alonso would give an arm and a leg to drive for Merc - he just wants a 3rd title and he will be done with F1 too! All merc engined drivers will be considered surely Ocon and Wehrlein. OR may be Merc go for the bulls-eye and take Verstappen with them, this should be a good off-season!

Come on Toto and Nikki - give us Lewis vs Alonso OR Lewis vs Max
    Last edited by Blanchimont; 12-02-2016 at 09:26 AM.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Not a bad move.

I can't even imagine who Merc will pick as Hammersmith's co-driver. All the other top drivers are already locked in.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    VW MK7 GTI
    Completely understand, but holy hell that was shocking to hear

RTR

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/242...mpions-f1-exit

"I find it absolutely extraordinary, a big surprise," said Brundle. "I don't know what's tormented him that much to want to call it a day right now. It's obviously a personal decision and it's bad for Formula 1 because we haven't got a world champion through the winter and next season.
    C'mon Brundle. Really? Dealing with the Hammalog for 4 years would push me to want to retire as well, especially if it were clear my teammate were faster than me on our respective best days. If he didn't retire, Rosberg would be effectively Webber with a championship for the foreseeable future...
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S

My Cars
    BMW
    That's crazy. I'm shocked.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    This was a shocking thing to wake up to.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by RRocket View Post
    Completely understand, but holy hell that was shocking to hear
    Yeah, I was reading the news and just kept staring at that headline, thinking that it has to be a joke, and how did someone manage to pull that off on that news site? Then I looked for signs that it's one of those 'from elsewhere on the web' crap-links. Only then did I realise that it could be true.

Nico can do pretty much whatever he wants now, and as others have said: working hard as hell, having to deal with the king of douches regularly, etc. just probably isn't worth it to him. He has the money (and never had to race for the money in the first place), he has family he wants to focus on, and everything. Sure, this wasn't exactly 'dropping the mic' even though he might view it that way, but I somehow completely understand the decision.

The big question on my mind is whether he's really that much of a racer at heart that he'll do other racing events, like Le Mans? That's my immediate thought: the loads of other racing opportunities that he couldn't get involved in while bound to F1, but maybe not his?

My biggest hope is that Hammy will follow suit and pursue his 'rap career' and become a Kardashian or something. He seems to want to work as an F1 driver even less, I'm sure he'd be more happy to get the attention he so desperately is seeking from starting his own reality show.

- - - Updated - - -

About the replacement: surely it's Wehrlein? How else is even on the list? Bottas signed with Williams already, right?
    Last edited by MagneZium; 12-02-2016 at 11:04 AM.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    yay
    Saw it on his insstagram this morning.

Initially reaction was shock.

But good for him. He has a family and seems to like classic cars a lot. I think he'll find what to do with himself.

No idea who they will line up beside Lewis. Maybe Wehrlein. But I'd personally love to see that be Max.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Wow - just came in to post this. Very surprised, but I can't imagine dealing with Hamilton for yet another year. Best of luck to Nico going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

I kept on waiting to read it was a joke...but nope. Good for him....young..... rich.....and champ......not bad. Must be hard to walk tho....$$$$$$$$$$$

btw, Hammy is going to sign w/ JayZ...just read that as well...

not

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post
    Saw it on his insstagram this morning.

Initially reaction was shock.

But good for him. He has a family and seems to like classic cars a lot. I think he'll find what to do with himself.

No idea who they will line up beside Lewis. Maybe Wehrlein. But I'd personally love to see that be Max.

I have a fam...I loooooove classic cars.

I should retire too.....lol

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post
    I think it will be someone from the "Mercedes family." After this season, Red Bull and McLaren will fight tooth and nail to keep Max and Alonso, respectively.

My Cars
    yay
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post

I have a fam...I loooooove classic cars.

I should retire too.....lol
    Would if I could.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    I think it will be someone from the "Mercedes family." After this season, Red Bull and McLaren will fight tooth and nail to keep Max and Alonso, respectively.
    Yeah, slim to none it will be Max. It would just be awesome to see Lewis have to deal with him.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Toto Wolff is the manager of both Wehrlein and Bottas, and both are 'Mercedes guys' sort of. Wehrlein also has a reputation of being 'difficult', plus hasn't got that much F1 experience. Bothe Wehrlein and Hammy in the same team might be a bit too much. Bottas' contract with Williams can easily be handled, especially since sliding Wehrlein into Bottas' slot and a bit of extra cash won't be a bad result for that team. Then again that would mean two 'new guys' at Williams, amidst a switch to a very new kind of car, which they might not find ideal at all.

But I have no info on how Mercedes team views Bottas, and naturally Merc would prefer a German.
    Last edited by MagneZium; 12-02-2016 at 12:12 PM.

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    Amazing. He must be walking away from at least $30 million over the next few years, to say nothing of the opportunity to win another title. I used to think that Nico's problem was a lack of the ultimate competitive fire. Then he proved he had it - racing wheel to wheel with Lewis and winning. Now, absolutely at the top of his game he is walking away like he's got better things to do. Strange. F1 certainly has the capacity to surprise.

Please, racing gods, let it be Bottas. Max would be great, but that seems unlikely in the extreme, so please, let it be Bottas.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Quote Originally Posted by maxell0405 View Post
    Then he proved he had it - racing wheel to wheel with Lewis and winning.
    He was never able to do this. The only time he got the better of Hamnation was at the starts.

Nico caught his teammate "napping" at the beginning of the year, and it's a scenario Lewis is not likely to let happen again, so Nico would be looking at perennial underdog status whenever Lewis felt like actually driving his car.

Please, racing gods, let it be Bottas. Max would be great, but that seems unlikely in the extreme, so please, let it be Bottas.
    As a Bottas fan, on the one hand I would love that, but it would suck for Williams, a team I like a lot.....

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Now everything makes sense. Rumor was that Hamilton quit Mercedes after Barcelona GP because it became obvious to him that Mercedes was supporting Nico 100% in 2016. Nico probably made it clear in advance that if he wins he will retire, so maybe that is what got Lewis back in. Mercedes also wanted to win with German driver. Why did Nico walk away from 18 million dollar contract for 2017? Because he is now F1 champ and his profile has risen and he can always make money doing something in motorsports. He won't starve that is for sure.

Another rumor is that Ecclestone admitted Mercedes may quit F1 because they achieved what they needed to do to promote Mercedes. There is no upside of them staying too long. Roumor is that Mercedes stopped spending money of engine development, so car may not be P1 in 2017. maybe because of that information Rosberg decided to go.
    Last edited by hakentt; 12-02-2016 at 02:28 PM.

My Cars
    TBD
    Yep, I was blown away when I heard the news.

But good for him. The stress must have been incomprehensible. Wish him the best with everything.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by maxell0405 View Post
    Amazing. He must be walking away from at least $30 million over the next few years, to say nothing of the opportunity to win another title. I used to think that Nico's problem was a lack of the ultimate competitive fire. Then he proved he had it - racing wheel to wheel with Lewis and winning. Now, absolutely at the top of his game he is walking away like he's got better things to do. Strange. F1 certainly has the capacity to surprise.

45 million I read a couple other sites. Damn.

Please be Alonso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Suspect we're missing a variable.

Edit: Here's a wild idea... and a cheap one, too, on such short notice.

Why not ring Jenson and see if he's busy, next year?
    Last edited by Stuttgart951; 12-02-2016 at 04:15 PM.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    Why? MJ went out on top (and ultimately failed and embarrassed himself with his "comeback"). Peyton and Elway retired after winning their respective Superbowls... It's not unheard of.

I like this idea.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    He was never able to do this. The only time he got the better of Hamnation was at the starts.

Nico caught his teammate "napping" at the beginning of the year, and it's a scenario Lewis is not likely to let happen again, so Nico would be looking at perennial underdog status whenever Lewis felt like actually driving his car.

There was no wheel-to-wheel racing between them because pretty much every time there was about to be, Hamilton cheated by pushing Rosberg off the track as if his life depended on such a panic move, and wouldn't be able to fend Nico off for longer or with clean moves.

Nico ended last season by being dominant, and started this season that way too. Nico most probably was being conservative for the end of the season too, just to make sure he makes no mistakes and gathered the points needed. If Nico would've had motivation or need to go for the wins, and especially if the radio ban would've stayed I'm sure the points difference would've been even larger.

In the previous seasons too Nico was often the one with faster lap times and was catching Hammy, only to have the duel end in aero&Pirelli tires making it impossible to make the pass or Hammy pushing him off the track. Last season Nico suffered more from reliability issues too.
    Last edited by MagneZium; 12-02-2016 at 05:18 PM.

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post

Edit: Here's a wild idea... and a cheap one, too, on such short notice.

I wish this would happen - but contrarily it feels like Jenson's will has been crushed by the last few years.

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    e28 535is, e39 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneZium View Post
    There was no wheel-to-wheel racing between them because pretty much every time there was about to be, Hamilton cheated by pushing Rosberg off the track as if his life depended on such a panic move, and wouldn't be able to fend Nico off for longer or with clean moves.

Nico ended last season by being dominant, and started this season that way too. Nico most probably was being conservative for the end of the season too, just to make sure he makes no mistakes and gathered the points needed. If Nico would've had motivation or need to go for the wins, and especially if the radio ban would've stayed I'm sure the points difference would've been even larger.

In the previous seasons too Nico was often the one with faster lap times and was catching Hammy, only to have the duel end in aero&Pirelli tires making it impossible to make the pass or Hammy pushing him off the track. Last season Nico suffered more from reliability issues too.
    Dude! Seriously....do you even WATCH Formula 1......the stuff you say is sooooo far from what has actually happened. I've gotta ask....!?! I don't think you've been watching for very long because what say is way off. Anyways, Nico is better off playing with his new kid and his hot wife than trying to defend that championship against a fuming and aggressive Hammer. If I were him I would have done the same damn thing. I'd turn to Hamilton and say "you can't catch me.... Nah nanana nah!" Then exit with my championship intact.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I wonder if he would like to try at Le Mans racing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast