Thread: Weird Brake Vibration on E 46 Please Help!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330xi

Weird Brake Vibration on E 46 Please Help!

Hey Forum Brake guys

I have a weird brake problem on my 330xi. It is come and go brake vibrations. I can start out with brakes operating normally, then going down the road I step on the brakes and thy vibrate whether I am going fast or slow, but the faster I go the worse the vibration. Then, after I brake hard the problem goes away. I know it sounds like a sticky caliper problem, but I can't find any visual evidence to support that. I checked the calipers and they appear to be in good shape. The rotors and pads are about a year old. I recently bled the brakes (not pressure bled), but the pedal is firm. I will measure the run out on the rotors, but the come and go nature of the problem has me baffled.

Would someone please comment? I did post a similar message a few weeks ago, but got no response. If I broke the site rules, I apologize, but I want some help before I go out and start replacing calipers, rotors and pads.

Thanks

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Did you check the rotors themselves? Sounds like you may have some warped ones.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330xi
    Sorry for the delay in sending a reply to your response. The warped rotor is a good thought, but the ones I have are less than 6 months old and a rudimentary gap measurement test showed no change as the rotor went around. Could it be something as simple as needing a rebuild kit? I feel that because the problem is intermittent and it seems to diminish as I brake harder that it could be a sticky caliper. I suppose it could be a wheel bearing too, but I have no problems at speed.