Thread: Common 328(d) issues?

My Cars
    No BMW (yet)

Common 328(d) issues?

Newbie here, please be kind

Unlike many of the recent VW converts, I have an old VW diesel (2003), not one of the new ones on the buyback program. It's getting to be time to get something newer, and I'm looking for something with a little more personality, space, and towing ability than a prius. I can't get my head around 30 mpg on the highway, so my options are pretty limited - a BMW diesel, a pre-scandal VW TDI, or some tiny gasser.

Given my wants and needs and the limited options, I thought there was no better group of people to ask than the real BMW enthusiasts. Here are some questions:

1) What are the common issues that result in $$ ? In the VW world it'd be something like "intake manifold plugging after 75-100K miles, mk4 auto transmissions are horribly unreliable, the stock rubber bushings turn to dust in 5 years". What do I need to plan for with BMW's ?

2) Are there any special issues related to the xDrive? I'd hate to get a 10K bill for rebuilding the 8 speed tranny.

3) Why is the depreciation so steep the first couple of years? It looks like new 328d's are pushing nearly 50K, but 2014's with xdrive are available on ebay for the mid 20's. Half the cost being gone in a couple of years seems like more than most vehicles, though I haven't ever paid too much attention to luxury car prices.

4) Are there tuners or chippers out there to boost power some? 180 is a little weak for a 4000 pound car. 240 should be OK, but more is always nicer.

5) Is there a qualified-independent-mechanic list? The nearest dealer, AFAICT, is an hour or so away. It'd be really nice if I could find an independent mechanic who was closer and less expensive. And it might be a pipe dream, but one who was familiar with diesel specific problems would be ideal.

6) Is there any chance at all that a 328d could have a similar total cost of ownership to a camry or accord?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    1) Although Carbon Build-Up (CBU is the search term) was/is a problem on the 335d and x5d, it's too early to tell on the 328d. Heavier load and more experience seems to indicate it's being avoided. The main problem with earlier cars (335d/x5d) has been the DEF/SCR system. BMWs easily go 100K before encountering the need for suspension and cooling system work.
    2) xDrive has had problems with the transfer case's clutch positioning motor, but it's an easy fix. The xfer case is like $1700 new part. Gotta watch front CVJ sleeves for cracking - $350-$500 to replace (labor...)
    3) Luxury car $hit. And the fact that the average car price is now north of $30K since you bought your VW.
    4) There's a recent thread on f30post in the n47/n57 subforum that lists pretty much all of them, including the new Dinan piggyback. They're all mostly around 30hp/50ft-lbs. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1324463
    5) www.bimmershops.com and www.bimrs.org
    6) IME, Toyotas are just as expensive as BMWs, especially since the first 3/36K free maintenance, and 4/50K warranty pay for most stuff.

A lightly used 2013-2014 with CPO Elite (to 7/75K) might be the ticket for you. Avoids the high depreciation and uncertainty.
    Last edited by floydr; 11-27-2016 at 05:28 PM.

My Cars
    No BMW (yet)
    Thanks for the reply floydr!

Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    1) Although Carbon Build-Up (CBU is the search term) was/is a problem on the 335d and x5d, it's too early to tell on the 328d. Heavier load and more experience seems to indicate it's being avoided. The main problem with earlier cars (335d/x5d) has been the DEF/SCR system. BMWs easily go 100K before encountering the need for suspension and cooling system work.
    How expensive a job is fixing the CBU? I thought I saw it being like $9,000 on some other model (335d?). Hopefully the 328d is much easier/cheaper - 9K every 100K is a show stopper for me. What is the general problem with the DEF/SCR? Is it solved on the newer models?

Quote Originally Posted by floydr View Post
    4) There's a recent thread on f30post in the n47/n57 subforum that lists pretty much all of them, including the new Dinan piggyback. They're all mostly around 30hp/50ft-lbs. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1324463
    5) www.bimmershops.com and www.bimrs.org
    6) IME, Toyotas are just as expensive as BMWs, especially since the first 3/36K free maintenance, and 4/50K warranty pay for most stuff.

A lightly used 2013-2014 with CPO Elite (to 7/75K) might be the ticket for you. Avoids the high depreciation and uncertainty.
    Great news on the tuning and mechanic fronts, TYVM I'll have to check on the elite maintenance level; that would be some welcome insurance.

Any other opinions? I'm sure the price per repair for a Toyota might not be a lot different I'm just concerned about the BMW having a greater number of issues, and/or any diesel specific things.

Additional input welcome

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by tdi4evah View Post
    How expensive a job is fixing the CBU? I thought I saw it being like $9,000 on some other model (335d?). Hopefully the 328d is much easier/cheaper - 9K every 100K is a show stopper for me. What is the general problem with the DEF/SCR? Is it solved on the newer models?
    $1200 and under for the M57. Probably even less, as the 328d is only a 4-cylinder rather than 6.

The problem with the SCR/DEF is that BMW engineers believe that they can design systems that don't fail. So the sensors and pumps in the 35d DEF tanks were not designed to be field-replaceable, and so if anything at all fails it's a $800 part with $400+ labor to replace the entire thing. There are DIY-type fixes for a couple level sensors and such for the 35d tank(s). The 328d tanks are different; hopefully they learned.

The other SCR problem has been that the NOx sensors are incredibly expensive, and they have a limited lifetime (as do all O2 sensors.) Seems to be 100K-125K, and they're $500+ each. Haven't had many SCR cats fail yet, but it's only a matter of time IMO.

The diesel subforums on E90POST and Bimmerfest have a lot of good reading material on this stuff, btw.

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Don't rule out Mazda Skyactiv vehicles--they get great gas mileage.
    Last edited by tex2670; 11-29-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2015 BMW 328D
    I have a note to add.
    Had my 2015 328xD to the dealer for routine state inspection (28K mi.). I asked to raise the headlight aim, check speedometer accuracy and diagnose a pesky stutter under hard acceleration.
    Later that day they offered a loaner. Two weeks later the headlights are greatly improved, speedo the same and stutter gone. They cleaned intake manifold, replaced injectors and .... replaced transfer case. $8K all under warranty.
    -Rloring
    2015 328D xdrive wagon /nav