Thread: Excited to own my second E24

My Cars
    87 635csi

Excited to own my second E24

Hey all,

It's been a few years, but a shark came up for sale locally and I just couldn't pass it up! A few weeks ago, I picked up this 1987 635csi about 10 miles from my home. It has about 136k miles and nearly everything works. It needs some small things here and there, but nothing too major. I have it in storage now, for the winter.. but I'll be ordering needed and wanted parts through the winter to prepare for the spring/summer/fall months. Looking forward to owning this one and making it my own. Definitely will not be selling it. Highly regretted that decision with my last one . So, on with the pics before I lose what I've written thus far!

- - - Updated - - -

My tablet is being ultraslooooow, so I'm working on uploading some pics!

The day it was delivered to my home..

Out for a cruise... and another, and another and another... :-)

when I got it, none of the lights up front worked.. A trip to the auto parts store, some trickery with the removal of the turn signal housings and voila! Evening driving was possible. Haha.

Last edited by Scottke; 11-26-2016 at 02:27 PM.

my 633 cruising down 7 bridges road on a humid foggy afternoon.... soooo relaxing.

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Nice find, congrads. I see you are a purist, ie, removing the "M" emblem from the front grill. Hopefully you can make a punch list before it goes into storage.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    1985 BMW 635csi
    Love it. Love the Nardi wheel, I have the same one. Congrats!

My Cars
    87 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by RSheiman View Post
    Nice find, congrads. I see you are a purist, ie, removing the "M" emblem from the front grill. Hopefully you can make a punch list before it goes into storage.
    Yeah, the "M" badging drove me nuts... It was worse on the back. Before/after. Still needs buff and polishing, but for now, I just wanted the fake and misplaced badges off... I see now why they put the "CS" where they did. I'll be refinishing the paint between the rear lights black anyways...

my 633 cruising down 7 bridges road on a humid foggy afternoon.... soooo relaxing.

My Cars
    1988 m6
    Scott,

Very nice, also good looking wheels, and then there is the NARDI Steering Wheel awesome!
    Jay
    '88 M6 Cinnabar Red / Nappa Natur Highline Interior (10-87) Santa Ana, California. USA

My NEW Website, Link : https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

Booster repair
    https://www.jaysbmwparts.com

A/C Wingcell Compressor leak repair

e31 Door Handle Fix,

My Cars
    87 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by master6 View Post
    Scott,

Very nice, also good looking wheels, and then there is the NARDI Steering Wheel awesome!
    Thanks! the wheels aren't my thing... But they are a nice set. I'm researching/looking for a set of 17x8 bbs rc090's. I believe they are the ideal wheel for our sharks. And I think they bolt right up? I could be wrong tho. 20 offset should be perfect.

If I find some, I'll be selling these. I believe they're 17x8? ASA AR1's. The nice thing was that they came with dang near brand new tires.

My Cars
    89 635CSi, Nissan Murano
    Vey Nice, seems like the E24 is a great SUMMER driver lol...
    SprCpe
    1989 635csi # 3268410
    Built in Germany with love.
    Ostatecznym maszyny jazdy BMW

My Cars
    '89 635 CSi, '15 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottke View Post

Thanks! the wheels aren't my thing... But they are a nice set. I'm researching/looking for a set of 17x8 bbs rc090's. I believe they are the ideal wheel for our sharks. And I think they bolt right up? I could be wrong tho. 20 offset should be perfect.

If I find some, I'll be selling these. I believe they're 17x8? ASA AR1's. The nice thing was that they came with dang near brand new tires.
    The 17x8 rc090 is off an e39, the oddball center bore of bmw. So, you'll need some hub rings. Ecs has some neat plastic ones that snap into the wheel.
    2002 E39 530i Sport [sold]
    2001 E39 ///M5 [sold]

My Cars
    1x633, 1x E3 2 DR Racer
    Love it. A real nice car. My suggestions would be;

1. Lower it. It looks too high.
    2. The rear wing looks a little out of place. Go the original tail.
    3. Go Euro bumpers.

But nice, real nice.
    1977 633 CSi RHD Euro. S38B38 3.9L M5 Transplant. 5 Speed Getrag Dogleg. 3.73 LSD. 417hp, 369lb/ft
    1971 3.0CS E3 2dr Alpina Special Coupe Racer, 347hp, 295lb/ft

My Cars
    87 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipper View Post
    Love it. A real nice car. My suggestions would be;

1. Lower it. It looks too high.
    2. The rear wing looks a little out of place. Go the original tail.
    3. Go Euro bumpers.

But nice, real nice.
    Thats pretty much the plans so far... Plus different wheels.

My Cars
    87 635csi
    Found these online. They'll need some refinishing, but he'll be shipping them to me on Monday.

My Cars
    1987 635csi
    Lovely wheels mate. I've recently picked up a similar set for mine. Can't wait to fit them in the new year

My Cars
    87 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by SprCpe View Post
    Vey Nice, seems like the E24 is a great SUMMER driver lol...
    not picking up the joke here...

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottke View Post
    Found these online. They'll need some refinishing, but he'll be shipping them to me on Monday.

The rims on the car are nice but I really like these "basket weave" style wheels, they fill the wheel areas nicely. I'm refurbishing a set of these for my 840Ci. 'Not a fan of 5 or 6 spoke rims.

My Cars
    87 635csi
    Wow.. So I haven't updated in a while.

Took er out of storage about two weeks ago. Made a new E24 friend out and about. Local to me, so that's nice.

His engine bay was interesting... But man, his car was fun to ride in. He does all his own work.

out for a cruise after

on a side note, can't wait for our garage to be done! just one more week thank goodness

My Cars
    87 635csi
    I was looking over this thread and noticed my accord in the first couple pics. I take a deep breath even before typing this now. It was a bad, scary accident on the interstate. I wish I could forget it. My second accident ever, the first being 19 years and 11 months before this one. That one was also bad. But no pics from back then. Here's the pics from this one. Took place at 9:04PM on 12/11/16.

I haven't written about this in a while. Feels good to talk about it. So thanks for looking, listening. Have a good day and drive safe out there!

My Cars
    1985 635csi
    wow, glad you're ok

My Cars
    87 635csi
    Quote Originally Posted by tonym427 View Post
    wow, glad you're ok
    Thx! :-)

My Cars
    87 635csi
    Finally ordered some parts yesterday, from FCP: Front genuine roundel emblem, new starter, valve cover gasket and a few other gaskets... Hopefully they'll be here Saturday.

Took the six out for a cruise today and snapped a couple pics of things inside that I have no clue what they're for.. Memory seat settings and power windows lock is my guess... Lol

Also came across some bmw touch up paint in the cooler in back.. Nice. Opened er up and it's actually very usable, almost seemed new. So I put it to use and did some touching up, mostly on the front valance.

Decided to tackle this today... Being a bit of a purist, I like the badges on. I'd replace the red roundel on the trunk with a blue one I have... But the wife likes it, so it stays for now.

Pardon the bird dropping and dirty car. Garage will be going up Monday! Suuuper excited.

My Cars
    87 635csi
    I unexpectedly heard back from the owner before the guy I bought the car from. He had owned it for approximately 10 years. He bought it from a friend in California who had owned it since new. This Gentleman, Dave, had all sorts of information for me. Dave said that when he bought it, in 2004, he paid $9500 plus shipping to Minnesota. At the time, it had 90,000 miles and the motor was factory replaced by BMW 18,000 miles before that at 72k. Dave stated his friend had stored it in his airplane hanger for about the last 10 years straight before he sold it to Dave, so 1994 to 2004. While Dave owned it, he bought the Nardi Steering wheel from a Ferrari dealership that a friend of his works at. He told me he was afraid to tell me what he paid for it at the time. Dave also put all new suspension in, repainted the front lower bumper and added the rear spoiler done by a place called euro tech. Dave stated "it had those ugly gold bbs wheels on it when I got it, so I trashed those and bought new wheels and tires for it... The ones that are on it now." My jaw dropped, but I continued to listen to the wealth of information. Dave stated that the engine was given a full tune and refresh, along with all the ball joints, bushings and what not under the car. Dave would like to stay in contact, which was music to my ears. He sent me some pictures from when he had the car.