Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 227424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1595

Thread: DeadPool DEFEATED! -- 540i6 Front Mount Turbo Build

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Thanks Chris, I'll check into that switch and see if I can make good use of the hardware the factory left there for me. The tricky part might be making it adjustable enough to get it to trip right at the engagement point of the clutch. We shall see.

So what do you think about Pittsburgh? I've never been there, but if it seemed like a good meet point to you, I would research it. I think maybe it's around 7 1/2 hours from me?? Otherwise I guess maybe we're looking at Maple Grove or something. If you want to road trip way west, maybe we could meet half way in between you and Jim, but I didn't figure there was much chance you had that option.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Pittsburgh is about a 3 day drive for me, maybe I'll just rely on time slips. Is there any correction factors for running at 5400+ft elevation?
    We should have done this before I moved from MA.

What about the Gear chewer?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Pittsburgh is about a 3 day drive for me, maybe I'll just rely on time slips. Is there any correction factors for running at 5400+ft elevation?
    Actually Jim, there is a correction factor called "DA" which I think stands for density altitude? I'm not sure how you calculate time adjustments based on it though. Google can probably help. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    What about the Gear chewer?
    He seem to have no affection for drag strips from what I can tell..

My Cars
    92 Accord & 95 Niva
    Oui monsieur

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Merci beaucoup!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Audi R8 Smart Coil, interesting, or nah?

JC, I'm guessing you might well know some things about these?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah, red-tops are a known "good-bargain-factory-upgrade" for cars that came with crappier parts. On my old S6 I convered from COP's to LSx coils on a rack with $$$ Magnecore wires. Back then the 'different Audi part' option was 2.0T coils. Those worked fine, great even, but tended to have poor reliability after a year or two... they were cheap but all the 2.0T coil guys would carry spares for if they started getting misfires. I'm told the red-tops solve that quite a bit so you can use these instead, but - once I went with $$$ wires - the LS solution was bomber for me. That same car is now - like 5-6yrs later - still rolling around daily on those coils and wires. In fact I think its off at a big car show/event this weekend, probably winning prizes and crap. Anyway...

There's all these 'conversion kits' with plates to hold them in place better than just droppin them in the holes... Would be interested to know if there's a bolt pattern that fits M6x.

Only about a million joints offering those things...

https://www.urotuning.com/Coilpack-A...dapter-kit.htm
    https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/803...ers-104K00027/
    https://store.blackforestindustries.com/pwcopaad1.html
    https://store.034motorsport.com/fsi-...t-4-2l-5v.html
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Whoa, a ton of cool stuff!! I knew you would know, thanks!

I was thinking it might be interesting to whip up a single plate per side that could hold the four coils, but doing individuals like that is an intriguing option too.

To my eye, even these older version V-dub coils look to perform a bit better than LS coils:

I guessed that the newer red tops would probably be even better...

My Cars
    F30 335i ActiveHybrid 3
    The red top coils should also last longer as they are resin topped to stop moisture getting in compared the older ones which basically just have a cover

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by J306TD View Post
    The red top coils should also last longer as they are resin topped to stop moisture getting in compared the older ones which basically just have a cover
    Interesting!

JC, was the coil in the video the 2.0T coil?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Interesting!

JC, was the coil in the video the 2.0T coil?
    Yeah a 1.8T or a 2.0T I think. I didn't watch whole vid (middle of stuff) but sounds interesting - I love bench test equipment!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Well guys, I wouldn't necessarily call this the end of the thread, as the new owner (a BF.c member) might possibly be piping up with updates from time to time, but at any rate, I sold the unicorn. So far the only front mount turbo E39 540 with A/C that I have been aware of, and I totally understand why. It was a RIDICULOUS amount of work to make it happen. But it was worth it in terms of the satisfaction to be able to enjoy it for a while, and then hand it off to a guy who is going to enjoy it many times more than I would have.

So here's how the insanity went down. Changed the oil and spiffed her up one last time before hitting the road:

Last Spif Up.jpg

Then I loaded the trunk with a a bunch of car parts, and hit the road for an epic adventure. As one last "F-U!!!" to the deadpool, I fired this beast across a large portion of the country at rather high rates of speed to deliver it to its new owner. By the time I delivered the car, the couple-or-few-days-old oil change had about 2,500 miles on it.

The car was an absolute beast on the drive -- I've never experienced the ability to cover LARGE chunks of ground with such comfort and such an unrelentingly fast pace. Clearly the E39 is a great platform for that type of thing, and then when you endow it with a good dollop of excess power, the whole package just comes together as a masterpiece.

Maybe the cherry on top is that I even averaged 21mpg on the trip!! I had popped a gasoline tune back into the MS3X for the drive, so I wouldn't have to be finding E85 and making extra stops because of the reduced range. That worked out perfectly, with normal tank ranges of around 350-375 miles (need to stop every now and then anyway, so longer ranges from a tank of fuel aren't necessarily the greatest thing.. Lol

At any rate, the big, powerful, sexy girl is shacked up with her new man now, and contrarily to how that scenario normally plays out, I wish the new couple nothing but the absolute BEST of times!! I know he's going to enjoy her even more than I would have, and that makes me happy.

My Cars
    2003 540i Sport - 6 Spd.
    Wow! Hard to believe you sold it, but great that a fellow Board member is the new owner. Anyone we'd all know?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    oh my.
    my mind races with the possibilities for whatever comes next.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Sounds like a great buyer Thad! I hope he continues on with updates here so we can see how the car plays out. Such an epic build likely to not be seen again here.

21 mpg is awesome!

Yeah, glad you finally saw what I've been saying about these cars. Just total hwy destroyers. Long hauls really show the best in this chassis. So capable but still comfy.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by peter540 View Post
    Wow! Hard to believe you sold it, but great that a fellow Board member is the new owner. Anyone we'd all know?
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't post on here much, so I don't think he would be recognizable to most of us on here. Not sure if he really wants to start posting or whatever, so I will leave that up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    oh my.
    my mind races with the possibilities for whatever comes next.
    Haha, indeed! I'm going to try not to disappoint! I feel like I have set my personal bar of nonsensical shenanigans fairly high, so I will put forth some effort.

I think I keep losing track of your thread. Gotta check back in on that sucker. That occurred to me as I was tearing past Indy the other day on my way out west.

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Sounds like a great buyer Thad! I hope he continues on with updates here so we can see how the car plays out. Such an epic build likely to not be seen again here.
    Yep, it would be hard to imagine a better buyer for the car. I'm not really sure what he has in mind for updating, but I do appreciate the kind words on the build.

Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    21 mpg is awesome!

Yeah, glad you finally saw what I've been saying about these cars. Just total hwy destroyers. Long hauls really show the best in this chassis. So capable but still comfy.
    You are SOOOO right! The most impressive thing about it to me was the lack of fatigue after tearing across the country. Quite incredible.

My Cars
    Nissan S14
    I have been working on a turbo M62 MS3X swap slowly for a while now and your thread has been a great resource. Sad to see it go! If I could ask for one thing though, any chance you can post up your gasoline tune? It would be a great place to start for my engine. Do you have to tweak the VE tables much swapping between fuels? What injectors were you running? Which turbo? Sorry, haven't been keeping up for a while.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Wow, you really haven't been! Lol

It is a billet 78/75, and RC750cc saturated injectors. I'll upload the last gasoline tune I had to my website since I don't think there's a way to upload it to the forum here, and then I'll post a link. It was a really nice and very well sorted tune after driving across the country with it. Worked great at altitude, and I made a couple little tweaks along the way for little things.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    These cars are monsters on the highway - you can really feel the Autobahn heritage.

I'm glad it went to a good home. Sounds like one hell of a goodbye!
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    These cars are monsters on the highway - you can really feel the Autobahn heritage.

+1

I love taking mine on trips!!

My Cars
    Nissan S14
    Wow, you really haven't been! Lol

It is a billet 78/75, and RC750cc saturated injectors. I'll upload the last gasoline tune I had to my website since I don't think there's a way to upload it to the forum here, and then I'll post a link. It was a really nice and very well sorted tune after driving across the country with it. Worked great at altitude, and I made a couple little tweaks along the way for little things.

I'm too busy these days to keep up with forums I'm also using a VSRacing 7875, but I ended up with Deka 80s. The prices from VSRacing were just too sweet to pass up. I know you ran them in the past with some success. I won't be running E85 (it's just too uncommon here) so I'll be on 94 Octane. Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Haha, indeed! I'm going to try not to disappoint! I feel like I have set my personal bar of nonsensical shenanigans fairly high, so I will put forth some effort.
    I think I keep losing track of your thread. Gotta check back in on that sucker. That occurred to me as I was tearing past Indy the other day on my way out west.
    you probably haven't lost track of it as i haven't touched the car, or thread, in 3 weeks. (4?)
    i pulled the passenger side, lower valve cover and found two broken head studs. so the whole thing is on hold while i drum up funds and figure out how far i want/need to go with the engine.
    i literally put everything down where i was and walked away. tools still on the floor, drawers of tool chest still hanging open. it's safe to assume i was equal parts disheartened and infuriated. i just scowl at it as i walk past these days.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post

Absolutely on all points!

Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    +1

I love taking mine on trips!!
    I was already a big fan of roadtripping mine to destinations a few hours away from home, but ripping clear across the country in it really did illustrate to me just how great they are for traveling. I totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyco View Post
    I'm too busy these days to keep up with forums I'm also using a VSRacing 7875, but I ended up with Deka 80s. The prices from VSRacing were just too sweet to pass up. I know you ran them in the past with some success. I won't be running E85 (it's just too uncommon here) so I'll be on 94 Octane. Thanks for the help!
    No problem! I had no issues at all with the Deka 80s I've run in either car. The RC750s have also treated me great in the two cars I've run them in. However, for running on gasoline you don't need injectors as big as the 80s. You'll have a lot of headroom for swapping to E85 whenever you want (which you can do in a couple of seconds with MS3X), or for going to ~25psi+ of boost on gasoline plus water/methanol injection.

Regarding the tune, I haven't had a chance to piece together the final tweaks yet that I made on the trip, and I would like to post up my final version of the tune. Unfortunately I didn't take along a thumbdrive or anything to copy the tune on.

Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    you probably haven't lost track of it as i haven't touched the car, or thread, in 3 weeks. (4?)
    i pulled the passenger side, lower valve cover and found two broken head studs. so the whole thing is on hold while i drum up funds and figure out how far i want/need to go with the engine.
    i literally put everything down where i was and walked away. tools still on the floor, drawers of tool chest still hanging open. it's safe to assume i was equal parts disheartened and infuriated. i just scowl at it as i walk past these days.
    That's a bum deal dude!! Do you think the engine problem is what caused the car to be stashed away where ever it was that you found it sitting? Wish I was closer, I would love to dig into that motor for you. I have never built a P-car en-gine before. Lol

On second thought, I'm glad you're not closer. I might catch the P-car virus from you, and I can't afford that stuff...

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    That's a bum deal dude!! Do you think the engine problem is what caused the car to be stashed away where ever it was that you found it sitting? Wish I was closer, I would love to dig into that motor for you. I have never built a P-car en-gine before. Lol

On second thought, I'm glad you're not closer. I might catch the P-car virus from you, and I can't afford that stuff...
    nah, the impetus to park my car came from an abandoned respray. i'm sure the doofus that had it before me would have just driven it until it died on the road somewhere. (judging by some of the horrors i found within)
    I'm going to buy a cradle for the engine that will let me hang it on my stand soon and then tear it down. once the heads are off, i'll inspect the jugs and know how bad/good it really is. if i don't have to replace P/Cs, it's just new studs and a top-end reseal. not really a big deal or a big expense. but if the jugs need replaced/reconditioned, then i have to buy pistons and the slippery slope gets steeper pretty fast.

if you lived closer, i'd probably have this thing out and apart already instead of stalled. sometimes just having a garage buddy helps a lot.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I imagine you already have your plan for how to approach this engine investigation and refurb process, but just in case it can be of use I'll throw this out there:

My "local" sprint car engine shop guy (who also used to do indycar stuff back in the day) is familiar with P-car engines with alusil and whatnot. It came up when I was talking to him about options for potentially going hog wild with an M62, that he was comfortable with alusil from building his porsche engines he used in his personal dune buggies for up at silver lake or where ever the big dune place is up north.

He's a very good dude, does great work, and reasonable prices. Unfortunately he's in Charlotte, MI, which is probably about 3 hours up I-69 from you (maybe more). Anyway, just throwing that out there in case it can be of use. Dowker Racing Engines.

Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 227424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast