Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1035505152535455565758596061626364 LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1595

Thread: DeadPool DEFEATED! -- 540i6 Front Mount Turbo Build

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Can you chop more weight out of it? Turn up the boost and you'll be in the 9's, probably uncharted territory for a BMW.
    Honestly Jim, I think it will go 9s as is, with just boost and some drag radials (and maybe a little 2-step so it can leave with some boost). But yes, I have an aluminum "LC9" short block for it that will chop 80-100lbs off the front end.

And I do believe there have been quite a few E36es and E30s in the 8s already. 8s is pretty fast!

Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    You're going to find the limit of the diff and axles very soon with drag-racing.
    11.6 is nothing to snuff at. Well done!
    Thanks brother! It will be interesting to see what the rear end components can take with the relatively sedate treatment they get from the slushbox trans.

I won't be using a trans brake or anything, so preloaded foot braking with some 2-step is the worst abuse they will get. Currently I have E36 328 OEM manual trans axles (fat shafts) in the car with a welded 2.93 E36 diff. I do have a full set of E36 OEM axles and trailing arms etc., to go in next at some point, but no solution for diff. Well, without going to a solid axle like I really want, anyway. Lol

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    That diff is going to pop!!! LOL.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Honestly Jim, I think it will go 9s as is, with just boost and some drag radials (and maybe a little 2-step so it can leave with some boost). But yes, I have an aluminum "LC9" short block for it that will chop 80-100lbs off the front end.

And I do believe there have been quite a few E36es and E30s in the 8s already. 8s is pretty fast!

Thanks brother! It will be interesting to see what the rear end components can take with the relatively sedate treatment they get from the slushbox trans.

I won't be using a trans brake or anything, so preloaded foot braking with some 2-step is the worst abuse they will get. Currently I have E36 328 OEM manual trans axles (fat shafts) in the car with a welded 2.93 E36 diff. I do have a full set of E36 OEM axles and trailing arms etc., to go in next at some point, but no solution for diff. Well, without going to a solid axle like I really want, anyway. Lol
    AFAIK, the guys in the 8s are solid axle. I believe one guy's name is Perry and come to think of it, his 8s, solid axle, turbo m52 car is an E30. Now you've got me wondering if there are any e36s in the 8s. Those NE guys would know. They love drag...racing.

I do know that tying the rollcage in to the forward diff carrier mounting points will help keep it from ripping out of the car. There have been some interesting failures from repeatedly trying to tear the diff carrier out of the car whilst applying all the TQs.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Off the top of my head (so I might be wrong about a lot of this because I haven't paid a lot of attention), Perry is the only one I'm personally aware of who runs a solid axle in his E30. He ran 8s with his manual, and intends to go low 8s or better now that he has his th400 in. There's Boris I think, who I think runs 8s in his E30 with manual and IRS, and Travis I think who maybe runs 8s in his E36 with a slushbox and IRS. And of course there is Mike:

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    That diff is going to pop!!! LOL.
    There's only one fun way to find out!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Hey guys, I got a pretty good shake down on this sucker on Sunday at Flat Rock Speedway, and it's really starting to come together. I have more tuning to do to the car (and myself of course!) to really be shredding this beast later in the year, but here is the starting point for the year:

A decent little run, but not my best, I was trying a lot of different stuff throughout the day with the tune and whatnot, and it didn't all work out so great

And then there's this killer shot from one of my better rips around the banking:
    Backing it in at Flat Rock - May 2019.jpg

TAL04843-Edit-1.jpg

Thanks to Tyler Lenzen/Motiv8edMedia for the sweet shots!!

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Hell.
    Yes.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Looks like you could give Steve McQueen (Bullet) a run for his money, ha.
    Hey, nice cutouts in the back of the trunk for cooling the radiators.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    Hell.
    Yes.

Looks like you could give Steve McQueen (Bullet) a run for his money, ha.
    Hey, nice cutouts in the back of the trunk for cooling the radiators.
    Thanks Jim! (regarding the Bullet reference) The exhaust sounds were a big part of that chase scene to me, and I'm pretty happy with the way this sounds in the video clip. I had some runs later in the day where the RPMs were above 7,900 for most of the way around both banks. Those must have sounded pretty sweet.

Alas, this car it getting so cool at this point that I would kind of like to drive it on the road some, and I just feel like it's way to loud for enjoying road driving as is. I'm going to add some little resonators first, and then maybe some Vibrant "Ultra Quiet Resonators" if necessary.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I like the vibrant stuff. I'm using their small stainless muffler. One 3" input with two 3.5" outputs. Internal has 2 straight thru pipes with holes in them. I've often thought about using their resonator, maybe do it after the HotRod is finished.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Love your insanity Thad!!! That as a street car would be a hoot and right up your alley! Hide the women and children! The Ultra Quiet resonators don't do much in the way ultra quieting anything IMO. Maybe a couple dB's. Going BIGGG azz muffler is the best way, but I know you got space issues!!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Yeah, I'm definitely not going to be able to make it quiet, that is for sure! I'm hoping I'll be able to knock the right edge off of some of the driving around noise though. Also, I hope that when I finally get the rear firewall finished and sealed up, that might help some. The car is a friggin' riot now, so I actually feel like driving it sometimes other than just dragging it to a track to go nuts with it.

My Cars
    1999 BMW540 Supercharged
    That looks great fun and the lrs sounds great, good luck with the sound deadening.
    1999 540 Auto with Eaton M112 supercharger
    Airlift 3H/P management, M5 steering box, M5 LSD, Eibach/Dinan front and rear anti roll bars, PM Modifich door boards, 4 Eton 6.5s, Sound Magus VS3500.1, 2 x 10" Kove audio subs, Alpine ICS X7 Headunit, 19" BBS Hammer Sports RT245/RT246, Muffler delete, electric coolant fan.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I'm getting progressively dumber in my old age. And having more and more fun. Lol

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Just a grown kid having a blast! was waiting for the tires to pop. 275 is getting up there. All good? Is the rear fan enough?

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    That looks like so much fun!!!
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Just a grown kid having a blast! was waiting for the tires to pop. 275 is getting up there. All good? Is the rear fan enough?
    I'm not totally sure about the cooling system yet Chris, but I have a much better radiator to put in, and that should make a huge difference.

HOWEVER, I found that when my dad disconnected the negative battery terminal because I was hotwiring the car, the square head of the negative terminal bolt got cockeyed, and the end of the fan ground wire was basically flopping in place. It's possible that the overheat problem was just because of that. Still, I will probably put the new radiator in the car before the next ripping day. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1999 540i m View Post
    That looks like so much fun!!!
    It's an absolute blast! Just pure hell raising nonsense.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Nice going Thad. I think I can smell that rubber all the way out here.
    How many days do a set of tires last you?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    It's "how many sets of tires per day?" Jim! Lol

Seriously, I have wheels from 15s to 18s, and I have gotten pretty good at scamming old tires that still have some usable tread on them. So I definitely go through some sets.

There was a sweet spot when I had around 300-350hp where I had enough power to run reasonably low tire pressures, but didn't have enough power to completely annihilate tires with wheel speed like I can now. So tires lasted decently, and definitely better than they did when I had very little power and had to run them at 60-80psi. The problem is that I really like the smoke sauce that comes from the wheel speed, so I guess I need to get even better at procuring tires without breaking the bank. Haha

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    1. I'm glad the car didn't actually burn. That's what I was expecting with that video title.
    2. Hell yeah, Thad! You just look like you're having a riot. Kinda reminds me of a kid learning to skid a bigwheel.
    3. I'm curious to see your updated trunk setup. Having those snails back there with the radiator can't help the heatsoak issue. More ventilated trunk in the future?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Sorry DokB, it's been a crazy week! Among other things I had to replace the house's deep well submersible pump on Wednesday so my wife and daughters wouldn't lose their damn minds without water, and I had no idea what I was doing. Got 'er done, but it whipped my azz real bad!

Anyway, thank you for the confirmation of my clickbait skillz coming around! Lol And yes, it really is a lot like being a little kid sliding a bigwheel, only more satisfying. I was always mad that I couldn't sustain my bigwheel skids.

Regarding the trunk, I'll have to snap some pics of it after I get the next iteration done with the new radiator. I have drawn out the additional vents on the top of the trunk lid, but I would like to not cut them out of it if I can avoid it. I can add a bit more exhaust exit through the rear of the trunklid, and maybe I will do that first if necessary. If all goes perfectly, the new radiator and current trunk lid ventilation space will be sufficient. If the weather ever stops sucking so bad, maybe I will be able to find out.... But I wouldn't count on that around here.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Hey y'all! (channeling my inner southerner, as if I live somewhere nice...) But I digress.

I am going to make a serious effort to open up some space in my garage and storage area -- re-purposed dog kennel -- to fill up with fun LS engine parts, turbos, and th400 parts. My approach will be to get rid of bimmer engine parts, E39 parts in general, and other assorted stuff from project cars past. I've decided that I'm not going to put a lot of effort into selling any of this stuff, and then I'm just taking it to scrap. All of it was intended to be fun, so if selling it is a struggle, that kind of defeats the purpose of it all.

Along those lines, I suspect that you fellers on here comprise the lion's share of anyone who is much interested in M62 stuff or E39 stuff. I also have a lot of M60 stuff from when I was thinking about building a short stroke, high revving, lower compression, turbo monster. I have posted a for-sale thread for engine components:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...)-Mid-Michigan

And a post for M5 steering boxes:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...e-Mid-Michigan

I also have some other random stuff like rear suspension stuff, rear half of a 540 driveshaft, and who knows what all... Maybe an M5 axle and a 540 axle?

At any rate, if someone wants everything I have, I'll make them a nice deal on it all! Otherwise, grab whatever pieces you may want, because I probably won't be having them sit around too long. My shelves overfloweth for too-eth longth..

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    At those prices they should move pretty quick.
    I started chucking things yesterday. I have a bunch of good parts that I'd like to sell just need to find the time to throw them up in the for sale section......then buy some more LS stuff!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    At those prices they should move pretty quick.
    I would think so too Jim, other than I just don't think there are really all that many people looking for engine parts for these engines. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it seems like WagHo and I were the only guys who seemed to want to have many of these sorts of parts sitting on the shelf. Especially since these aren't TU parts, and some people might not be willing to try non-TU bottom end parts for their TU engine. Also, it seems to me like most people want to buy a good running complete engine instead of components. We shall see, but probably not for long. Lol

I started chucking things yesterday. I have a bunch of good parts that I'd like to sell just need to find the time to throw them up in the for sale section......then buy some more LS stuff!
    The LS stuff is so fun Jim! I totally get it. I picked up a 6.0L block today, a set of 4th gen 6.0L rods and pistons, and a pair of 6.0L heads for the price of a reasonably priced LS camshaft.

At this point I just am not seeing a lot of sense in struggling to sell my bimmer engine parts. Chucking to commence soon here too.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    6L block, more cubes more power!
    I just can't bring myself to toss perfect OE tail lights, M5 rear wheel carriers, intake manifolds, throttle bodies, etc.
    There is ton more LS activity than our BMW's, however I do like the BMW design better than most of the Chebby designs.
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-04-2019 at 10:13 PM.

Page 60 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1035505152535455565758596061626364 LastLast