Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1595

Thread: DeadPool DEFEATED! -- 540i6 Front Mount Turbo Build

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Jim - They do in fact, but it seems like these Contis still shift and take some kind of lateral set. If they didn't consistently have the set issue (and I've owned a bunch of 'em) I'd think it was a belt problem but I think its endemic to the tire.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    JC, as the god of the E39 V8 Deadpool, have you ever passed judgement on my feeling/assertion that this car has defeated it? Lol

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yah dood, for long time you've had a "totally Metal" ranking, the highest deadpool ranking, indicating that yes indeed you have escaped Deadpool poser status.

As reminder, the Deadpool ranking system is:

- known abandoned, failed or dead, or not enough credibility to expect further progress at this time

- unknown status but credible enough to possibly be active or 'slow progress'

- some kind of active progress currently happening

- some kind of reasonable level of build completion occurred resulting in some kind of driveable result
    I'm probably due to downgrade a few efforts over there due to disapperances...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Bad ass. I just don’t know why you don’t really love that car, brother! Having that and the LRS both seems entirely sensible to cover downtimes and whatnot, and a super cool variation to have .
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Bad ass. I just don’t know why you don’t really love that car, brother! Having that and the LRS both seems entirely sensible to cover downtimes and whatnot, and a super cool variation to have .
    Thanks brother!

I'm sure your question about why I don't love the 540 more is mostly or completely rhetorical, but despite that I figure I'll take a crack at answering it anyway, with an analogy:

At this point, the 540 is like a really good wife, who looks good, is nice and pleasant to hang with, and wants you to enjoy life and have a lot of fun. But who still cares about keeping you alive and in one piece...

Conversely, the LRS is like a really bad girlfriend, who is instantly down for whatever sort of stupidity and/or debauchery may pop into your head. AND, who doesn't really give a damn about you other than for whatever fun she can have with you... I already have a really good wife, so I kind of don't need another one of those. Lol

And as moronic as that might all sound, maybe it really does sort of explain why my wife has never ridden anywhere in the LRS that I can remember.

Of course, there are the other more real life reasons I don't love the 540 more than I do, such as the fact that I have grown to not enjoy dealing with clutches at all any more. And the fact that I am out of garage space and can't really build another project if I keep the 540 (without building another garage as my wife has been telling me to do... Lol). If I had another two or three cars worth of garage, I would probably think you are exactly right, that the sensible thing to do is to keep the 540.

If for whatever reason it doesn't get sold VERY soon, I will simply take it off the road for a while so I can concentrate all of my efforts on the LRS, and get that beast running in its next, more ridiculous form. After that I suspect I will change up the 540 in some way that will entertain me, and probably make me like it more than I currently do. From that you can read: Probably no clutch left in it! But time will tell.

Who knows, maybe a day will come when I actually would appreciate having a nice car to drive places in. It's not beyond the realm of possibility.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    At this point, the 540 is like a really good wife, who looks good, is nice and pleasant to hang with, and wants you to enjoy life and have a lot of fun. But who still cares about keeping you alive and in one piece...
    Man, where have I heard that before, especially the part about alive and in one piece.

I'm digging those Achilles ATR Sports. They do come in 305/30/18's, that's what going on the back. Probably some 235 or 245's on the front.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Jim, those 305 ATR Sport 2s would look sinister on the back of the '33. They are a good looking tire for sure. Where are you finding them for the best prices? I bought this pair of 275s on eBay, but I don't see really comparable deals on eBay for the 305s. About $122 shipped per tire was the best I saw I think (which is pretty decent for a 305 I suppose).

- - - Updated - - -

WHOA! $117 on Amazon Prime. I think some project of mine is going to have to have 305 Sport 2s on the back of it at some point. Thanks a lot Jim. Lol

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    And thank you for the tip on the ATR's, I would have probably spent a lot more on something else that was only marginally better. At $117 I really don't care how long they will last.
    I was looking on eBay for them, never thought about Amazon even though I'm a prime member.
    Now I just need to get some Torque Thrust II wheels, they don't ever seem to be on sale anywhere.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    For all I know I might be one of the few guys on the E39 forum who was running stock front camber until recently. But just in case that isn't true, I want to suggest that for anyone who likes to really carve some corners from time to time, some camber plates are totally in order!!! I don't know what caused me to procrastinate from putting them on the car so long, but I wish I had done it a long time ago.

Mine are the fixed location variety that set my front camber to -2.2 degrees at my ride height. That combined with a small amount of toe OUT in the front makes front end of the car 100% more positive in mid-corner. For example, there are a couple of sweepers near my house that had previously been comfortable at just a little over 60mph. With the new front end alignment, I can comfortably sail through those sweepers at 70mph, or maybe even more. It's truly like a bit of a different car.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Interesting. Amazing how BMW went "entirely no adjustment" on these cars. Even the E46's have a LITTLE adjustment from the factory. Whose plates did you use? My ST setup needs to come off for blasting and repainting and overhaul some time probably this summer (was perhaps going to replace the springs at same time...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    For all I know I might be one of the few guys on the E39 forum who was running stock front camber until recently. But just in case that isn't true, I want to suggest that for anyone who likes to really carve some corners from time to time, some camber plates are totally in order!!! I don't know what caused me to procrastinate from putting them on the car so long, but I wish I had done it a long time ago.

Mine are the fixed location variety that set my front camber to -2.2 degrees at my ride height. That combined with a small amount of toe OUT in the front makes front end of the car 100% more positive in mid-corner. For example, there are a couple of sweepers near my house that had previously been comfortable at just a little over 60mph. With the new front end alignment, I can comfortably sail through those sweepers at 70mph, or maybe even more. It's truly like a bit of a different car.
    I have some camber plates that came with suspension / coil-overs - similar to the BC racing coil-overs camber plates.
    I am hesitant to use them because I don't want increased noise / vibration.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I think mine are Dinans, but honestly they've been sitting on the shelf for so long (at least 5 years), I don't remember now. I do intend to set my toe back to dead straight, but I'll definitely leave the negative camber in the front end for driving around. For my feel it made a MAJOR improvement in the car's handling, which was already very good, just a little bit too much toward understeer for my taste.

To be clear, it still isn't tail happy, and I'd still like a bit more front grip bias, but most people would be ecstatic with how it is right now.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    I have some camber plates that came with suspension / coil-overs - similar to the BC racing coil-overs camber plates.
    I am hesitant to use them because I don't want increased noise / vibration.
    Only one way to find out!

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Interesting stuff Thad and makes sense. How is the feel while going straight on the hwy? Is the car extra darty? Tramline, etc? I would think tire wear would be a negative.

I replaced my my struts with stock stuff about 50K ago. Its still good, but yeah, a little floaty at very high speeds. All i need is one more reason to upgrade, and this is helping push me to that point.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Only one way to find out!
    LOL.
    True. The camber plates make sense, since I have my car height so low, I just don't need the ride to be any more harsh.
    My car is a slow daily driver, not a track / race car.
    Did you install aftermarket sway bars ?
    I have Eibachs on the front and rear of the car.
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 04-30-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Interesting stuff Thad and makes sense. How is the feel while going straight on the hwy? Is the car extra darty? Tramline, etc? I would think tire wear would be a negative.

I replaced my my struts with stock stuff about 50K ago. Its still good, but yeah, a little floaty at very high speeds. All i need is one more reason to upgrade, and this is helping push me to that point.
    After a three hour freeway (somewhat autobahn-ish) roadtrip today, I can report that the car still goes down the road extremely well, but not quite as 100% solidly straight as it did previously. It's only a tiny difference, and not one that would probably bother anyone, but I will be resetting the front toe back to straight zero so I can confirm if it was the toe out, or the negative camber, or both. I suspect it's just the toe out, but to quote a super smart guy, "there's only one way to find out." Lol

Other than on the 540, I've pretty much always run a fair amount of front negative camber, and it has never created high wear because I always run my toe pretty much straight. With front drivers I've always run a tiny amount of toe in, because the forward "pull" of the tires tries to pull them toward toe out, so in normal driving they are pretty much straight ahead. The opposite is true with front wheels on modern-ish rear wheel drive cars, so when you run them straight they actually have a tiny bit of dynamic toe-IN when going down the road, from the drag pushing them rearward. All that to say, "no undue tire wear from a couple degrees of negative camber in the front." It's not like what happens to our rear tires when they have "factory spec" nonsensical -2 camber....

BUT, there's one more factor where your car may not need the negative camber as much as mine does since you have the 275s in the front. I still have 245s. I think front 275s might make this car just right for me at this point, since I like a very "neutral" handling car. I think most people don't like quite as much of a tail happy car as I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    LOL.
    True. The camber plates make sense, since I have my car height so low, I just don't need the ride to be any more harsh.
    My car is a slow daily driver, not a track / race car.
    Did you install aftermarket sway bars ?
    I have Eibachs on the front and rear of the car.
    I'm not familiar with your setup, but my coilovers use factory strut mounts, and the camber plates sit above the strut mounts. For that reason, there is no additional harshness, and the front of the car is raised by 3/16" or however thick the camber plate material is. Somewhere around 3/16" if I was going to guess.

My car still has the factory 540 front sway bar on it, and an M5 rear bar.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Glad you mentioned that. The KW/ST gear uses I6/E36 strut mounts so presumably I need / want I6 plates.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually mighta fergetted that.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Good to know. I've been eyeing a set of Dinan front camber plates for a little while, but $350 is hard to swallow for two pieces of steel with some carefully crafted holes and six bolts/washers.
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    On my old car, guys came up with self-fab camber plates - simple ones just with a little slotting so you can't get too far in trouble. My bud I sold it to had a machinist bud of his make 'real' camber plates for it, its not a rocket surgeon part by any means, if you have a vague ideal what you're doing and have seen a few before. That said, I prolly have better things to do than reinvent the camber plate, so time comes, I'll look around for a value purchase I think...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Glad you mentioned that. The KW/ST gear uses I6/E36 strut mounts so presumably I need / want I6 plates.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually mighta fergetted that.
    I actually DID forgettered that! That was my one complaint about my coilovers so far was that the sellers didn't know the ubiquitous I6/E36 strut mount plates were needed with them. Forgot all about that..

Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    $350 is hard to swallow for two pieces of steel with some carefully crafted holes and six bolts/washers.
    Tudat

On my old car, guys came up with self-fab camber plates - simple ones just with a little slotting so you can't get too far in trouble. My bud I sold it to had a machinist bud of his make 'real' camber plates for it, its not a rocket surgeon part by any means, if you have a vague ideal what you're doing and have seen a few before. That said, I prolly have better things to do than reinvent the camber plate, so time comes, I'll look around for a value purchase I think...
    I could swear I have seen cheaper ones around online that I imagine are the EXACT SAME in practice. Unfortunately, they're not popping right out at me currently.

FCP Euro has some that appear the exact same for $180 less, but they supposedly don't fit:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...vD_BwE#fitment

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Well, today was the first day that I drove the 540 since we finally got into some good warm weather (96 degrees F, supposedly). The A/C was nice and cold!!

That's a big deal to get confirmed with this build, since this is the first front mount turbo setup on an E39 540 that retains the A/C, that most of us are aware of. An added element of this is that I deleted the viscous clutch fan to make room for some of the plumbing, and thus the car is running on the aux fan only. I had it in my mind to potentially add a puller e-fan at some point if needed, but honestly it really doesn't seem to be.

Anyway, that's it for now, made me really happy to finally be able to confirm that the A/C blows properly cold on a hot day.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Good to hear Thad. You have the same lower temp dual switch that I have. This makes the aux fan blow faster/sooner when the ambient temps start to rise, so that is helping. The TU guys can adjust the DME program to get a similar result. Have you noticed your Aux going to max speed more often with the new switch? I have noticed it on mine a couple of drives when it was pretty hot out and AC cranking. Max Aux speed is noticeable.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Good to hear Thad. You have the same lower temp dual switch that I have. This makes the aux fan blow faster/sooner when the ambient temps start to rise, so that is helping. The TU guys can adjust the DME program to get a similar result. Have you noticed your Aux going to max speed more often with the new switch? I have noticed it on mine a couple of drives when it was pretty hot out and AC cranking. Max Aux speed is noticeable.
    I definitely have! It actually sounds kind of odd, like it's really doing some serious work, and I don't think I ever heard it do that before I changed to the new switch. Your info on that switch was GOLDEN!! My car stays right in the temp range where I'm happy about it now, which is actually a bit cooler at times than it was with the clutch fan and factory aux fan switch. I really didn't like how hot the factory wanted it to get..

Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast