Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1595

Thread: DeadPool DEFEATED! -- 540i6 Front Mount Turbo Build

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Approved! New sig pics to document the debauchery.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    New sig pics to document the debauchery.
    That would be cool! Much more out of the ordinary than an E36 leaving a trail of tire smoke for sure.

For the sake of completeness on the topic of accel enrichment, I'll add that I have just gone through the datalog from this morning, and it occurs to me that I have probably moved away from TPSdot biased AE when I didn't need to. The TPS signal coming from the M62 is super clean, so I could have actually just reduced my threshold on it a lot and used it, potentially to even better effect than I can get from the MAPdot biased setup.

I guess I was gunshy of setting the TPSdot threshold too low because my old car's TPS signal wasn't nearly this clean, so if you set the threshold too low you had some unintended AE events causing random rich AFR spikes. It was a pain. Seems that I will probably have to go back and play around a little further with a TPSdot biased setup and see how it works out.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    One would think a good TPS sig would be a better strategy vs MAP as it leads it. Sooner is better for enrichment i would guess.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    You got it Thad! Deadpool is offically DEFEATED! Title updated!

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    One would think a good TPS sig would be a better strategy vs MAP as it leads it. Sooner is better for enrichment i would guess.
    My engine is NA and I use 100% TPS. But I think with boost, having some % be MAP-based might account for boost coming in?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    You got it Thad! Deadpool is offically DEFEATED! Title updated!
    Thanks Chris!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
    My engine is NA and I use 100% TPS. But I think with boost, having some % be MAP-based might account for boost coming in?
    Have you ever tried MAPdot AE? I played with TPSdot a bit yesterday afternoon, and I failed to get the subtle presses of the throttle to respond as nicely with TPS as I was with MAPdot. I definitely would want to spend some more time on it to be sure I had achieved the potential of the TPSdot, but the MAPdot is working really nicely... Initially, back in the days before MS2 even existed yet, TPSdot AE worked well enough with MS1Extra code. Somewhere along the way between then and now I started preferring MAPdot biased setups, and seems like I'm still in that camp.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Hey, can someone please click the "off" button for winter? How's a guy supposed to enjoy a car like this if everything keeps getting re-covered with ice and snow.. Sheesh.

Assuming things go according to plan, I will be fabbing up an e-brake extension handle for the beast prior to drifting day on Saturday. Other than that and a hopefully minor bit of attention given to the adjustment of the e-brakes themselves, I think the beast is ready for some driftage on Saturday.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    I may have played with MAPdot at first, but settled on TPSdot pretty quickly. I also switched from SD to MAF and saw a huge uptick in responsiveness. Maybe my MAP signal is poor or delayed or something, the MAP line is probably four or five feet from engine to MS box.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    We are getting ripped off on this Spring for sure. Likely go from freezing to hot and humid in another week.

Good luck hooning that thing and don't break it whatever you do. I want to see your 1/4 mile trap!!!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I may have played with MAPdot at first, but settled on TPSdot pretty quickly. I also switched from SD to MAF and saw a huge uptick in responsiveness. Maybe my MAP signal is poor or delayed or something, the MAP line is probably four or five feet from engine to MS box.
    VERY interesting! MAF is a whole different ballgame. I think you are the only guy I've heard from that was using MAF for load signal on MS3. Seems like I've read about some others using blended MAF and SD..

We are getting ripped off on this Spring for sure. Likely go from freezing to hot and humid in another week.

Good luck hooning that thing and don't break it whatever you do. I want to see your 1/4 mile trap!!!
    We sure are getting ripped off! I'll be happy as a clam with hot and humid though, if that will just happen please!! Lol

I'm trailering the 540 to the event, planning to break it. But not to fear, that probably means it won't break. If it does, I'll just fix it. Unless I really wad it up into a wall or something...

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Saturday morning started out with the 540 on the new trailer (behind the SWEET tow rig) to head to the drifting event:

Going Drifting.jpg

I slapped on some "small" 245 width rear tires for burnage, and found that I was kind of in between second and third gear on this track. Eventually I was able to really turn on the smoke machine by initiating in second, and then shifting to third in drift to blaze the tires on the bank. This may not be the very best smokeshow it did, but it's not bad:

540 Drift Bank 1.jpg

I didn't get the e-braked tuned for drift initiations prior to the event, and I didn't get the extension handle made, so I was mainly just working with momentum and weight transfer -- not always very well I will add -- but overall, it was a fantastic day. I mean, how bad can a day of drifting be?

Most of the day when I was driving I had people wanting to ride along, and when I wasn't driving there was a steady stream (or small crowd) of people checking out the car and complimenting it. I must have heard that it "sounds amazing" a couple dozen times. I wish I could hear it from outside, but unfortunately no video of it has popped up yet. At any rate, it was really nice to have people appreciate all of the work that has gone into the project.

The next morning the car was looking so good on the trailer I had to take a few shots before I unloaded:

_DSC1332 cropped-Sm.jpg

_DSC1334 cropped-Sm.jpg

_DSC1327 cropped-Sm.jpg

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Weight transfer's tricky on these big old girls, but it looks like you managed Nice!
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    AWESOME! Nice that you trailered by choice, and not because something broke. How far over the Caravan's tow rating are you??

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by computiNATEor View Post
    Weight transfer's tricky on these big old girls,
    How right you are!

I left it full interior (no back seat removal), had a full tank of E85, A/C running on grid, etc., so I had a thousand lbs on a lot of the other cars. My drifting performance was definitely not satisfactory for my standards, but I had a lot of fun, and the car did well in terms of not breaking other than needing a mid-day crank sensor change. It did seem like the spectators were more pleased with my performance than I was, lol..

Overall I'm super happy with the car/build, but I think this is probably the last time I will be taking it drifting. Time to get rolling on the new, even stupid-er, iteration of the red car.

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Saturday morning started out with the 540 on the new trailer (behind the SWEET tow rig) to head to the drifting event:

Going Drifting.jpg

I slapped on some "small" 245 width rear tires for burnage, and found that I was kind of in between second and third gear on this track. Eventually I was able to really turn on the smoke machine by initiating in second, and then shifting to third in drift to blaze the tires on the bank. This may not be the very best smokeshow it did, but it's not bad:

540 Drift Bank 1.jpg

I didn't get the e-braked tuned for drift initiations prior to the event, and I didn't get the extension handle made, so I was mainly just working with momentum and weight transfer -- not always very well I will add -- but overall, it was a fantastic day. I mean, how bad can a day of drifting be?

Most of the day when I was driving I had people wanting to ride along, and when I wasn't driving there was a steady stream (or small crowd) of people checking out the car and complimenting it. I must have heard that it "sounds amazing" a couple dozen times. I wish I could hear it from outside, but unfortunately no video of it has popped up yet. At any rate, it was really nice to have people appreciate all of the work that has gone into the project.

The next morning the car was looking so good on the trailer I had to take a few shots before I unloaded:

_DSC1332 cropped-Sm.jpg

_DSC1334 cropped-Sm.jpg

_DSC1327 cropped-Sm.jpg

Wow Tptrsn,
    That car is beast. Talk about morning wood!! I’m going to change my underwear now!!

Post some videos at the track if possible please. I’d love to see this bad boy in action !

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    AWESOME! Nice that you trailered by choice, and not because something broke. How far over the Caravan's tow rating are you??
    Only about a ton over the rating! Lol (well, maybe a little more than that..)

My wife told me to get a trailer last year because she was tired of me calling to say I was limping home from where ever with a broken car. What could I say but "ok."

I have to say that on the way home with the car on the trailer not broken, I was extremely happy to have done things like this. It was so nice to not be driving home with a car full of tires, jacks, tools, and whatnot, especially since the 540 interior is in quite excellent condition. No way I would want to put that stuff in it, even with a bunch of packing blankets or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Post some videos at the track if possible please. I’d love to see this bad boy in action !
    I'm hoping some will pop up on bookface, but so far nothing...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, about the lovely Town and Country dogvan tow vehicle, the sucker easily held torque converter lock in O/D at 70+ mph throughout most of the trip both directions, as it's a pretty flat ride, and got 19 MPG! I installed a trans temp gauge before making the trip, and when the torque converter is locked, the trans temp bottoms out on the freeway. It's incredible. I don't want to jinx myself, but I may be able to keep on using it to tow instead of having to buy a truck.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Cool beans man! You packed a crank sensor as a track spare? Or did you make a flaps run and get lucky? Your tires look too good, need less rubber maybe? Clearly the guts of the build are decently reliable, given it put up w/ a track drift day like that! I still woudl really like to know what a dyno would say about this build as it sits now...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Cool beans man! You packed a crank sensor as a track spare? Or did you make a flaps run and get lucky? Your tires look too good, need less rubber maybe? Clearly the guts of the build are decently reliable, given it put up w/ a track drift day like that! I still woudl really like to know what a dyno would say about this build as it sits now...
    I had been having a few odd errors that seemed like crank sensor based, so I had ordered a new made in Deutschland OEM one from FCP Euro that luckily arrived on Friday, so I threw it in the van. Turned out to be a lucky break! The MS3 AFR Safety shut down the engine when the crank sensor momentarily reported a lower than actual RPM, which resulted in a lean mixture in boost. That feature is one that I actually asked to be written into the code 9 or 10 years ago, and it may have saved my bacon/engine!

My feeling is the exact same as what you said there, that the guts of the build are decently reliable. I feel nothing that makes me think it's just about to give up the ghost or anything, which is pretty nice. Having said that though, it's supposed to be sold at the end of the month, so I don't think I will be taking it to a dyno, or even back to the drag strip. Time for me to get back to my bad girl of a car, and so some more really dirty, bad things. Lol

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Nice trailer Thad.
    Like GG said you've got too much rubber on those rear tires, burn, burn, burn.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Haha, for sure! At least as far as the ones on the car on the trailer. 275/40-18 ATR Sport 2s. Sticky sumbeyotches. They actually grip enough that you can put down almost all of this car's power through them. To think that the pros actually drift these tires just shows how much rear grip and brute force levels of power are necessary for pro level drifting -- pretty insane.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Never heard of those tires before. They look pretty good and not too expensive either. I need tires for my '33 soon.
    Maybe worth getting a set of them and see how long the back ones last. At that price I could get 2 sets for less than two I'm paying for my Michelin tires.

My Cars
    01 M5 TiAg/M1SW
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Never heard of those tires before. They look pretty good and not too expensive either. I need tires for my '33 soon.
    Maybe worth getting a set of them and see how long the back ones last. At that price I could get 2 sets for less than two I'm paying for my Michelin tires.
    I recently switched from Michelin PSSs to Conti ExtremeContact Sports. Grip and communication/feel is roughly equal, but the ride quality isn't even in the same category. Rolls (Michelin) vs. Lotus (Conti).
    Nate J.

(oOO\ (|||)º(|||) /OOo)
    Titanium Silver/Black Nappa Full 07-18-2001 E39 M5 Heritage (BZ99672). 198,000mi+. Increasing daily. Engine rebuild thread.
    (eŌō\ (||||)º(||||) / ōŌe)
    Alpineweiss III/Black Merino Full 03-26-2007 E60 M5 Manual (CX08265). 157,000+. Dead starter -_-

RIP, Seabiscuit. Black Sapphire/Schwarz 03-11-2003 530iA Sport (CK39185). T-boned 03-01-2017 at 155,861mi.
    Take 2 "Otto" - Toledo Blue/Sandbeige 04-25-2002 530iA Sport (CH98032). Sold 11-10-2017 at 147,743mi.
    Take 3 "Manuel" - Toledo Blue/Grau 10-29-2001 530i5 Sport (CE92358). Sold 02-01-2019 at 217,600mi. I regret that. Build Log
    Reliable P.O.S. - Green/gray 1995 Camry V6 LE. 270k mi. Sold for space.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I think you would like them Jim. From what I see, there is no bad side to them other than they would obviously be 100% horrible for snow driving. I don't think that is a concern for you.

But at this price, you can go around painting nice thick 11s on the roads to your heart's content, and never feel like you're draining your wallet and your bank account in so doing. I've been trying out a lot of cheap tires over the past couple of years, and overall they have been surprisingly great. There was only one tire that was a complete joke... Some brand that only Walmart had, I can't remember, but they were total garbage.

Anyway, these Achilles Sport 2s are ridiculously good for the money I paid for them on eBay.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I've long said in low aspect profiles (like <=45) the 'soft sidewall' dig on the Contis is not a real handling problem, and for most part they ride well, but, I do have 2 symptoms from them that make me really lean towards a change up next time.

One is they decidedly take a set from being parked, and doesn't even have to be that long. It works out as they warm up, so not a great big deal, but... not a problem I EVER have with the Michies or for that matter most of the other tires we run.

The other is probably related, which is I have balance issues with them, and I think I've figured that out. The guys who store my tires for me do a balance check each spring/fall whenever they are swapping tires. A couple times now I've rolled out and had the freshly re-balanced Contis have a little highway vibe at speed that does not work out with temps. When I have them look again, after a couple days of driving typically, there's a small out of balance correction that needs to be made again. These guys do terrific balance job normally, and, the problem has recurred with the same sequence a couple times.

My theory is that its related to the set thing, that the tires are taking a 'storage' set on the shelf, and when they just do a cold rebalance on the machine, the tire hasn't resettled into its driving position. From now on I'm going to tell them not to re-bal for the Spring swap. Or at least maybe I'll drive the car on them for a bit and then bring it back in if there's a vibe and do the re-bal after I've 'loosened them up'.

When comes time to swap I'll have to make the call.. wonder if the updated versions are any better than these (they aren't calling them DW's anymore, and supposedly they made them better a couple years ago...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thad, I'm thinking about getting at least 295 or larger for the rear tires, 305's if I can find them. Replacing them every 18 months or so would almost be pocket change.

GG, can they store your tires on the side so you won't have any flat spots?

Page 45 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast