Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which shocks to get for a 540i Touring with SLS?

My Cars
    1995 525i/5

Which shocks to get for a 540i Touring with SLS?

Hey all,

Hope you guys are having a great Thanksgiving! As you all know, there are lots of sales this coming weekend, so I'm looking to buy a full set of shocks to replace the stock ones I have right now. My stock shocks have 183k miles so they're quite stiff and do pretty much nothing. I actually removed the rear shocks while replacing the rear suspension components and they're super stiff with like an inch of travel total.

I'm not necessarily looking for coilovers, unless there's a decent set that's cheap. I don't plan on lowering my car too much, so I was thinking something like Koni Yellows would work with either the stock springs or some lowering springs. I have the SLS in the rear and I plan to keep that, I just need a shock that'll fit it. Unfortunately it seems like every shock is officially incompatible with the SLS system, but I've seen some guys here that have made it work, so that's the info I'm looking for. I also don't want Bilsteins because it seems to be the general consensus that they're quite harsh; a comfortable ride is a priority for me.

Thanks in advance!
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I run bilsteins in my wagon

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I run bilsteins in my wagon
    How's the ride? I keep hearing the Bilsteins are stiff, but the price is so good on them...

My Cars
    2000 528IT,1999 540IT
    I have Bilsteins in my 528IT and 540IT. I like them in the 540 but they are a bit harsh in the 528 for me.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I have the sport suspension option so it rides stiff already I can't remember if I installed the hd or comforts. But I do like the design idea of how the struts are built. My car can be a bit jarring on rougher roads.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I have the sport suspension option so it rides stiff already I can't remember if I installed the hd or comforts. But I do like the design idea of how the struts are built. My car can be a bit jarring on rougher roads.
    My car rides extremely rough right now because of the terrible original suspension, so I guess Bilsteins would still feel softer. I have the sport suspension too. I might try the Bilstein B4's all around and see how I like that— I'm not necessarily looking for a super stiff sporty ride so I'm hesitant to try the B6 HD's.

My Cars
    2000 528IT,1999 540IT
    Quote Originally Posted by mmathews View Post
    I have Bilsteins in my 528IT and 540IT. I like them in the 540 but they are a bit harsh in the 528 for me.
    I failed to mention that both my wagons have sport suspension. I purchased the HD's.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Koni yellow 1157 fits on the rear even though catalog listing says no. Check with RBSBlackM3 he has them on his 540 wagon.
    Also check with rf900rkw he has or had a e39 touring with koni yellows. Mechanic by trade and one of the most knowledgeable people on here.
    H&R Springs and Koni is one best combos out there. Would lower front inch to inch n half IIRC.

My Cars
    z3
    A lot of people run the HD's on E39's not because they are stiffer, but because they are better equipped to handle the weight of the E39. Koni's got a bad rap in the community for awhile because the FSD's kept failing on the E39 but Koni Yellows have proven to be a good option on these cars. I'd probably go with Koni Yellows myself.

The springs usually have more of an effect on ride quality than the shocks. My coupe you've driven for instance has spring rates about 200# heavier (keeping in mind that 400#/~550# is recomended) than what is normally spec'd for that car. I've been in one with the same setup but with proper spring rates and it drove very nicely, comparable to OEM except a bit tighter feeling. Stiffer springs are usually still comparable to OEM within reason, just give a bit tighter feel and communicate a little bit more of what the road is doing.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by mmathews View Post
    Wonder if Bils is speccing the 528 parts same or nearly as the 540...

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    My car rides extremely rough right now because of the terrible original suspension, so I guess Bilsteins would still feel softer. I have the sport suspension too. I might try the Bilstein B4's all around and see how I like that— I'm not necessarily looking for a super stiff sporty ride so I'm hesitant to try the B6 HD's.
    Critical thing to know about Bils vs Konis is the B's are ride height critical. This is a reason why you hear stories of them blowing out or riding poorly for some guys. You cant (well can but shouldn't) put them on the wrong spring heights without issues...

HD's aren't really "HD's" in the sense of "heavy duty" they are "Sport - but for stock spring ride height".

Most guys dont get that so they put Sports on stock springs ("i want SPORTY!")and then find they dont ride great and pssibly blow out over time. Always be sure Bils are matched to the general ride height springs Bil specs.

BTW Bils get a ton of condemnation in E39land, but I've really had good luck w them in many many applications....

Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Koni yellow 1157 fits on the rear even though catalog listing says no. Check with RBSBlackM3 he has them on his 540 wagon.
    Also check with rf900rkw he has or had a e39 touring with koni yellows. Mechanic by trade and one of the most knowledgeable people on here.
    H&R Springs and Koni is one best combos out there. Would lower front inch to inch n half IIRC.
    Yeah Konis are NOT as above and are more friendly to spring height variation. And are what sooooo many of the aftermarket coilover guys use for the rear...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Bilsteins that came off my touring. They came with Bavauto lowering springs.
    No idea how long on the car but totally blown out.

[IMG]
    Last edited by jp5Touring; 11-26-2016 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    No part numbers on them? That's what happens when they are mismatched... Not saying it might not be some other issue but it is what they look like in those cases...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Hm, well how well would Bilsteins work with some H&R lowering springs? I'm debating whether I should lower the touring a little bit or just keep the stock springs in the front. The rear I can lower with INPA no problem.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    I've run Billie's on my 540iT and the ride was great (factory sport sus here), not harsh at all. The only time it rode harsh was when my RSB's were shot, as soon as those were replaced it rode perfect. I had sports on the front and HD on the rear, or vise versa can't remember exactly but I can find out if you'd like.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Sounds good. I have a set of Bilstein HD's front and back in a cart in FCP Euro, so I'll likely order from there. I'm gonna go with stock springs in the front for now— I want to get everything in the suspension fully worked out before I lower it.

My Cars
    528iT
    Hm, well how well would Bilsteins work with some H&R lowering springs? I'm debating whether I should lower the touring a little bit or just keep the stock springs in the front. The rear I can lower with INPA no problem.
    I'm running ST coilovers in my 528. I have SLS as well. I lowered ride height only .25" more than stock due to sport package from the factory. The included rear shocks are basically KW V1s. After doing the Powerflex rear subframe bushings, car is now a night and day difference. No more jarring or crashing over bumps in eh road, it just soaks it up quietly. I've driven newer F80 chassis cars that ride harder than this. And I'm still on dry-rotted AS3s.

Pick up a set of ST coilovers. For $1000 im very happy with them, and I've had many modified cars in my life...

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Bilsteins ride like crap, get KONIs. I've got Eibach springs up front and rear sport bags in the back. The back is lowered a bit to match the front. First damn thing I did was to toss the Billys and install the brand new KONI sports that came with the car. It's a world of difference.
    Last edited by blarf; 11-27-2016 at 12:22 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Sounds good. I have a set of Bilstein HD's front and back in a cart in FCP Euro, so I'll likely order from there. I'm gonna go with stock springs in the front for now— I want to get everything in the suspension fully worked out before I lower it.
    just keep in mind the key point from my previous 7 posts. The HDs won't be happy if you DO lower it later, you'll want to get new struts at that time too.

Theres for sure a whole contingency of Bilstein haters for E39 I would say. I've only run them on (lots of) other cars so can't truly comment, but there must be something to it, unless a lot of people have made the "wrong ride height" error.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Theres for sure a whole contingency of Bilstein haters for E39 I would say. I've only run them on (lots of) other cars so can't truly comment, but there must be something to it, unless a lot of people have made the "wrong ride height" error.
    Oh hell I didn't even like them on my Volvo 700s. They seemed to do okay on my friend's 240 though (but they may just have been broken in at that point). The KONIs are adjustable (and that's pretty darn easy on a wagon), and definitely ride way better than the Billies. The only downside I've seen so far is that the Dutch can't figure out how to pain them for crap.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I think I'm just going to order Koni Yellows for the rear for now. The front shocks are still doing okay so I'll replace them at some point in the near future once I decide what springs to put on.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Get the Koni rear shocks. If you don't like them I will take them for my tourings. serious,

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Get the Koni rear shocks. If you don't like them I will take them for my tourings. serious,
    Want some Bilsteins?

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I am not well versed in 528ts but my 8 has Billie's and I don't like them. Previous owner installed them. I have done a conversion kit to put e34 Konis in front and 850CSIs in the rear. It's a lot of work to adapt the e34 adjustable Konis to the e31 strut tubes but they say it is well worth it. The Bilsteins, since they are high pressure gas, actually lift the car where Konis will lower the car about a 1/4 to 3/8s of an inch. I do have a guy in the UK interested in buying my kit but if he doesn't I will install them next spring. The Bilsteins are a very harsh ride. Most 8ers that have them get them re-valved to a softer, comfort setting. The other side of it Eibach springs are way too stiff I removed mine from the previous owner and switched to M Euro Sports and what a difference. They say HR rear springs are way too soft for the 8 series. The long and short of it is you can't really beat BMWs engineering with aftermarket mix and match parts.
    My local independent mechanic who has 3 e39s says, stick with stock Sachs shocks for the e39s. My feeling is, if you are going to make a change, stick with OEM, go with the sport set up, it is tried and true, developed by BMW engineers, not guys who look to sell products to stuff uninterested stock holder's pockets with mediocre products at our expense.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I had bil's and h&r lowering springs on my last 540i. Driving was rough on crappy Seattle roads. I blew out the 2 fronts seperatly over time (As geargrinder pointed out). Replaced them and sold the car.

I have heard that current bil's are better built than bil's from 8 years ago so there might be another side to the story now but I've only heard that once. Grain of salt.

In the 540 wagon, I think koni yellows in the rear w/sls and either koni yellow/h&r's up front or sachs and h&r's up front for daily, occasionally spirited driving.

Lowest price link...?
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 06-22-2017 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    I had bil's and h&r lowering springs on my last 540i. Driving was rough on crappy Seattle roads. I blew out the 2 fronts seperatly over time (As geargrinder pointed out). Replaced them and sold the car.

I have heard that current bil's are better built than bil's from 8 years ago so there might be another side to the story now but I've only heard that once. Grain of salt.

In the 540 wagon, I think koni yellows in the rear w/sls and either koni yellow/h&r's up front or sachs and h&r's up front for daily, occasionally spirited driving.

Lowest price link...?
    I've been very pleased with the Koni Yellows + Dinan Springs in the front, so I'm gonna end up going with Koni Yellows for the rear. Once I get around to buying those I'll finish the rest of my rear suspension overhaul in one go. New shock mounts are on the list too now, as mine have some groaning and popping sounds on turns and uneven roads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast