Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Run flat vs non run flat safety considerations

My Cars
    2012 BMW 335i Convertibl

Run flat vs non run flat safety considerations

Hey y'all! I’m in the market for new tires for my 2012 e93 and I’ve been looking over the forum reading all the different posts about rfts vs non-rfts. It seems like the general consensus is non rfts are the way to go and I’m leaning that way as well.

Right now I’m looking at the UHP Michelin Pilot Sport as a replacement. I live in an area that gets a decent amount of rain, but snow only once or twice a year.

I have all my maintenance work done at a mom-and-pop shop that’s been in business for a long time. They’ve always been honest and knowledgeable so I trust their judgement. They said they could do the swap, but advised against it because of the (lack of) spare tire issue and also said a blowout could cause damage to the wheel which could run upwards $1,000 to fix.

I was wondering what the safety implications are of switching to non-rfts? For most flat tire situations I’ve read having a repair kit is sufficient, but the blowout issue is something I haven’t seen mentioned much (and wouldn’t it apply to any vehicle using non-rfts?). Also, I’ve read the suspension is tuned for rfts. Would switching to non-rfts cause issues with that?

Thanks!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I think they were just being overly cautious. I agree that non run flats are the way to go - much better ride quality and handling imo (I put some on my 135i). The spare tire issue is a valid point; but a blow out from a quality tire is quite rare if properly taken care of and maintained. Just my 2 cents...

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

I was in your position. I keep a large fixaflat can and a repair kit with a 12v compressor in the back. The new Continental tires I put on have a free 3 year flat repair service which includes repair if possible, swapping if available, and up to 150 miles towing if not.
    Using Tapatalk

Stick to run flat tires if you want to enjoy driving your car. I changed to non run flat (all season Continental DWS 06) tires based on some people in the forums who can not give up their old habits and are not adapting to changes very easily. I listened to their voice because the forums are full of those drivers who hate run-flats and I purchased set of four non run flat tires that are highly rated by tire rack. I regretted my decision. I put around 3000 miles on the tires to avoid early conclusion. The car was not driving the same. I did not feel the same when I was cornering because of soft sidewalls. The car was not too directional at high speeds. Then I took my car back to the shop to change to run-flat Continentals. They put four new run-flat Continentals with the same size and speed rating as the stock but not with star logo on the tires even though I asked them to put BMW approved tires. The car still did not feel and drive the same because these tires are lighter than the stock tires came with the car (225/45/17 SSR with star logo). I asked them again to change the tires and put the ones approved by BMW. They ordered new set of tires that are approved by BMW, the ones with star logo on. Now the car drives as it should be. Do not listen to people saying non run-flat tires are better. It is full of crap. This car's suspension is designed for run flats. Engineers know better. I found out by experiencing the both worlds. Stick to your stock tires.

Quote Originally Posted by irtemed88 View Post
    Hey y'all! I’m in the market for new tires for my 2012 e93 and I’ve been looking over the forum reading all the different posts about rfts vs non-rfts. It seems like the general consensus is non rfts are the way to go and I’m leaning that way as well.

Right now I’m looking at the UHP Michelin Pilot Sport as a replacement. I live in an area that gets a decent amount of rain, but snow only once or twice a year.

I have all my maintenance work done at a mom-and-pop shop that’s been in business for a long time. They’ve always been honest and knowledgeable so I trust their judgement. They said they could do the swap, but advised against it because of the (lack of) spare tire issue and also said a blowout could cause damage to the wheel which could run upwards $1,000 to fix.

I was wondering what the safety implications are of switching to non-rfts? For most flat tire situations I’ve read having a repair kit is sufficient, but the blowout issue is something I haven’t seen mentioned much (and wouldn’t it apply to any vehicle using non-rfts?). Also, I’ve read the suspension is tuned for rfts. Would switching to non-rfts cause issues with that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lovemy328xi View Post
    Stick to run flat tires if you want to enjoy driving your car. I changed to non run flat (all season Continental DWS 06) tires based on some people in the forums who can not give up their old habits and are not adapting to changes very easily. I listened to their voice because the forums are full of those drivers who hate run-flats and I purchased set of four non run flat tires that are highly rated by tire rack. I regretted my decision. I put around 3000 miles on the tires to avoid early conclusion. The car was not driving the same. I did not feel the same when I was cornering because of soft sidewalls. The car was not too directional at high speeds. Then I took my car back to the shop to change to run-flat Continentals. They put four new run-flat Continentals with the same size and speed rating as the stock but not with star logo on the tires even though I asked them to put BMW approved tires. The car still did not feel and drive the same because these tires are lighter than the stock tires came with the car (225/45/17 SSR with star logo). I asked them again to change the tires and put the ones approved by BMW. They ordered new set of tires that are approved by BMW, the ones with star logo on. Now the car drives as it should be. Do not listen to people saying non run-flat tires are better. It is full of crap. This car's suspension is designed for run flats. Engineers know better. I found out by experiencing the both worlds. Stick to your stock tires.
    How true, no one ever enjoyed their BMW until rfs came along.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    As far as the safety aspect, as noted, blowouts pretty rare these days, especially with modern tire pressure monitor systems (TPMS). Rim damage, unless you decide to drive on the rim after a flat, again, pretty darn rare. I would go with regular tires, and keep one of thse in the trunk.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38

Why that one? Because it was designed by Continental for Mercedes when they first started selling cars with no spare tires. Been around along time. Material washes out of tires easy and is less likely to foul pressure monitors. And you can buy a refill kit for a lot less than a some makers make you pay for an entire compressor setup.