Thread: Hello E60 ///M5 World

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy

Hello E60 ///M5 World

Hi Folks -

I've been on BFC for a while now, maybe a bit too long actually... LOL! Any-hoo, just wanted to pop my head in here as I recently acquired a 2006 BMW M5. I have always wanted to own a V10 just for it's uniqueness in the BMW line up and this opportunity crossed my path and I decided to jump on it.

It has 80K miles on it, good dealer history and all... however it has a salvage title from an accident in 2015, and also has transmission / SMG issues. It was pretty inexpensive enough for me to take a gamble on it. Engine runs fine so I will be trying to sort out it's transmission issues first and go from there. So far at the moment, seems to be a clutch issue. We will see.

For those curious about the cost, I can say it was below $6K. Figured it was worth the gamble. I brought it home a couple of days ago, I was able to nurse it home 29 miles from where I bought it.

I've been talking with more E60 knowledgeable people and so far, initial culprit seems to be a bad release bearing - so a complete clutch kit seems to be in order.

I replaced a broken driver's side door window yesterday which was kind of a breeze. I also cleaned her up - meaning getting all the damn glass out of there.

Here she is as she sits at the moment:

My Cars
    E90 328i, E60 M5
    I think you got it for a steal honestly. You could more than triple your money easily parting it out.

My Cars
    2010 Odyssey
    So, $6k for the car, $6k for repairs (max) = $12k for a good looking M5. Salvage title means drive it into the ground. Enjoy, and welcome to the V10 club!

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Taste View Post
    So, $6k for the car, $6k for repairs (max) = $12k for a good looking M5. Salvage title means drive it into the ground. Enjoy, and welcome to the V10 club!
    LOL! Thanks man. Not sure what repair costs will be yet. I am going to try challenging myself and doing some of the work it needs. Could be more, could be less. Car was actually under $6K.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 650I
    You got a steal, how the hell did you find that?!? Most the smg will cost is 8k (at BMW dealer) but a competent Indy will only be a couple k.

I realize you do your own wrenching, but you can't replace the smg without BMW software, as you have to run adaptions as well as other computer generated resets.

My Cars
    '96 328i
    How this turn out OP? Find anymore issues?