Thread: Am I mental for considering a s used E9x M3?

My Cars
    FD3S RX7/GolfTDI

Am I mental for considering a s used E9x M3?

So I'm in the market for a new car, and it's going to be a BMW

I've been looking heavily into an M235i as it's within my budget and I could get one that's 1/2 years old with under 15 thousand miles, but then widening my search found that I could also afford an E9x M3 V8 of 2009/2010 vintage with around 35/40 thousand miles.

The only thing putting me off the 235i is the dull steering feel. Test drove an 8AT model a few months back and felt that the steering in my Golf TDI was better!

Insurance is the same, road tax is twice what the 235i is.

This would be my daily car.

I've always wanted a V8 so the E9x appeals greatly, not overly bothered with fuel economy as I run an FD3S RX7 at the moment.

Are there any major issues to look out for with an M3 of this age? I spent most of yesterday afternoon reading up on the rod bearing issue on various forums. Eyes wide open and all that. An M spec V8 seems like a potential ticking time bomb if I'm honest.

I would be looking to track it a few times a year so I upgraded pads would be on the list, ditto some form overflow for the PAS tank.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Sam

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    There is the old "ticking time bomb" thought in almost every model from the e30 until now. There could be a "ticking time bomb" on every car on the planet. Personally, i believe the internet has done a lot of great things, but it has exaggerated the small number of issues. Just because 10 people on a forum have an issue that's not something that's systemic to the entire model line. My E36M3 was supposed to explode at anytime because of a loose oil pump nut....still has not blown up, its been 13 years and 101,000 miles.

Anyway, enough soap box stuff. I just purchased a V8 M, its a 2013. I'm not worried. If it beaks, i will do what everyone else does with any purchase, ill fix it or replace it.

In my research i was more concerned with the car's previous life, than with what a limited number of people online said about a given car. Dig more into the history of the actual car you want, not the overall thought of the entire model line (if that makes sense.)

Keep in mind, these will probably be a classic one day...its the last of the NA M3's, the last of the M3 coupes, and the first ever production V8 M3. Nuff said.

William
    Last edited by Tanks95; 11-22-2016 at 11:46 AM.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    FD3S RX7/GolfTDI
    Thanks William.

Yes, the E92 appeals to me too on the basis it's the last of what I would call the pure BMW M cars, it has hydraulic steering and no turbo!

I guess I should test drive one and go from there.

My Cars
    z3
    FWIW, rod bearings are actually not the hardest job in the world to do and if caught early, there will not be damage to the crankshaft. Buy it and enjoy it is my advice

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I bought a used one about 6 years ago and did the rod bearings when the extended warranty ran out. I changed them myself. Mine were excessively worn for 60k miles but not nearly at failure.

My Cars
    2013 M3 Competition
    I'd reommend getting the E92 over the M235. Diff class of car (M235 a great car, but I've driven both).

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Just get some BE bearings and change them out. The other thing that seems to go out are the throttle actuators.
    BMWNA extended the warranty on certain cars on them... why not all the cars BMW????
    After 40,000 miles, the suspension tends to be tired, so consider some coilovers too.
    Good luck.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT