Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Rack Upgrades

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Steering Rack Upgrades

I know the most common is the z3 rack upgrade. I have one for one of my projects, but I also need something for my 98 M3 that has the less desirable rack. I could swap out the one from the 95 that the z3 would replace, but it doesn't seem like it would be that big of an upgrade to justify the work. I have also heard of a couple people doing the z4m racks. The 98 car is just going to be a fun spirited driving car and maybe a few track appearances but doubtful if I can get my track car built. Why I'm posting this thread because I have a rack from an e46 330i. Would that rack be of any benefit in my 98? I've heard people using the 330i zhp rack and allot of people like it, but I haven't seen anyone saying the 330i zhp and 330i racks are the same or even what the differences are. I did research and came up pretty empty although I could have been not using the search engine to it's fullest ability. Any responses would be appreciated, even if it's just to say search "this" I would appreciate it.

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    The ZHP did not use a special rack, but it did get a SPECIFIC rack. There were three racks used on the E46 330's and the ZHP always had the one with the yellow tag on it. The part number is 7852974712

330's also came with a purple tag with part number
    7852974678 that had the same ratio, but a different internal torsion bar that didn't allow as much fluid through and doesn't feel as good.

I have the yellow tag rack in my e36. It's from a normal non-zhp 330i. Direct fitment, but the only caveat is that the boots are not vented the same on the e36 and e46, so some people have expressed mild concerns over this. I'm using the e36 m3 tie rod assemblies and e46 330i boots, i think. They are not vented at all. I don't forsee it being a problem, but I'm going to keep an eye on it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    very good information. I'll have to check and see what tag is on it.

Is the purple tag still better then the stock obd2 M3 racks?

also I have been slacking sooooooo bad about taking those simple pictures ugh major fail! I'm sorry

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Oh. didn't even realize it was you. lol.

The purple tag is definitely a faster ratio than the e36 m3 rack, but because it's got different internals I don't know how it feels to drive. The ZHP yellow tag rack feels amazing in an e36.

Z3 - 14.5:1, NON variable
    M3 3.0 - 15.4:1 mean (variable)
    M3 3.2 - 17.8:1 mean (variable)
    E46 13.7:1 non variable

There's also a TRW rack that was used on 330's that doesn't have a tag. It's also 3 turns lock to lock and is similar in specs to the purple tag.

I definitely wouldn't spend money on one over the yellow tag, but if you have one it might be worth a shot. it's not exactly a HUGE job to replace a steering rack. Unless your tie rods are seized, I guess.
    Last edited by kevinwilly; 11-17-2016 at 03:29 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    yea I have a 330 that I'm about to scrap so I plan on pulling the rack, just wasn't sure if it was worth putting in my M or just try to sell it. I'll have to look it over better tonight after work, but it was in good working order with no leaks so figured I would ask and try to get some clarity on it, so thank you for that.

- - - Updated - - -

my rack just has a normal tag on it. I'll have to take a look at the number but it's neither of the ones you provided. It's a zf rack if that means much

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

My Cars
    M3
    Go ZHP rack. It's a quick steering ratio without the huge price tag.
    95 Cosmos

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Omairtheman1 View Post
    Go ZHP rack. It's a quick steering ratio without the huge price tag.
    I'll start looking for one, thank you

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    I just installed a Remanufactured ZHP rack late this summer from Rack Doctor. It was a great upgrade @$425 shipped (would be less if you have a ZHP core to return).

The rack comes with the e46 inner tie rod assemblies and boots (since it is an e46 rack), all I did was screw in new e36 M3 outer tie rods and was good to go. Online there is a bit of uncertainty whether you can run the rack in the e36 with the e46 inner tie rods and e36 outer tie rods, and I can confirm that you can. I have had the car aligned twice already, with no issues of running out of adjustment range.

http://shop.rackdoctor.net/2002-2005...892-712ZHP.htm

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    If the 330i is 2001 or newer then the rack is as fast as the ZHP rack and would be a nice upgrade from your stock M3 rack.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=806967

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    The ever popular non-M Z3 rack can be found on car-part.com fairly cheaply too. I bought two at $160 shipped each from a local salvage yard through that site. E46s are starting to show up in salvage yards so you could probably find those racks as well.

You do gamble a bit on condition vs a place like rack doctor.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I appreciate all the links and help

I'll begin my search and see what pops up

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    I just installed a Remanufactured ZHP rack late this summer from Rack Doctor. It was a great upgrade @$425 shipped (would be less if you have a ZHP core to return).

The rack comes with the e46 inner tie rod assemblies and boots (since it is an e46 rack), all I did was screw in new e36 M3 outer tie rods and was good to go. Online there is a bit of uncertainty whether you can run the rack in the e36 with the e46 inner tie rods and e36 outer tie rods, and I can confirm that you can. I have had the car aligned twice already, with no issues of running out of adjustment range.

Thanks for this info and link!

My "new" junkyard sourced '97 M3 rack lasted 120~ miles before groaning and becoming hard to turn, so I'm researching different routes.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post
    Thanks for this info and link!

My "new" junkyard sourced '97 M3 rack lasted 120~ miles before groaning and becoming hard to turn, so I'm researching different routes.
    That's discouraging

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by lbennyboobool View Post
    That's discouraging
    Eh, I assumed the risk. It still steers better than the 1" slop the beyond-dead original rack had.
    That yard has perfect customer service and would gladly swap it for anther one if it was a recent purchase, but as my car spent most of 2016 on jackstands I think I lost the grace period.
    I may call them and ask if they have a 330i with yellow-tag rack...

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post
    Eh, I assumed the risk. It still steers better than the 1" slop the beyond-dead original rack had.
    That yard has perfect customer service and would gladly swap it for anther one if it was a recent purchase, but as my car spent most of 2016 on jackstands I think I lost the grace period.
    I may call them and ask if they have a 330i with yellow-tag rack...
    never hurts to call and ask. All they can say is no and be in the same situation, so it's only up from there!

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post

Sounds like this is the way to go... I can see losing $425
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    Sounds like this is the way to go... I can see losing $425
    Send Rich at the Rack Doctor an email. I found him very helpful and knowledgeable. I picked up a ZHP rack as well although it is still sitting in the shipping box waiting in line for installation.

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    I've got the purple tag rack installed in my e30 and just bolted one up to my e36 M3. Pretty easy to source on ebay and was somewhere around $150 shipped. The install was a direct bolt on and I replaced the steering coupler while I was in there. The hoses seem to bolt right in with the e36 equipment. I will be using all new e36 inner and outer tie rods and leave it at that and not worry about the vent. I do have a set of e46 inners I could use I guess, but I don't think its really necessary. The e30 is running e30 inner and outer tie rods and I haven't had any issues, but the car hasn't been driven more than 2 miles I bet.

I've got a ZHP and really like that feeling, but I haven't driven the purple tag cars enough to really tell a difference. You can tell an immediate difference jumping out of the ZHP and then into the M3. I'm looking forward to driving the car with the quicker rack and would highly recommend the upgrade to anyone who is in need of replacing.

I don't think you should kill yourself to find that Gold/Yellow tag ZHP rack as you should be able to find the purple tag racks all day with a very minimal difference. If you really wanted to spend a lot of time searching, I'd find one of the Z3 racks as they are the quickest, but they're also getting very old so you'd want to refurb it before putting it in the car.

Rackdoctor should have everything you need to bolt into the car and would be a great resource to get you pointed in the right direction.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Actually, the ZHP/purple tag 330 racks are a quicker ratio than the Z3 rack. They are more turns lock to lock, but only because they have more travel.

Z3 is 14.5 and ZHP/330 is 13.7

I've driven them back to back and there's not MUCH difference, but if you are looking for it you can tell. The biggest difference is the non-progressive nature of the racks. The E36 m3 rack just feels dead in the center by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by VaTechE36 View Post
    I've got the purple tag rack installed in my e30 and just bolted one up to my e36 M3. Pretty easy to source on ebay and was somewhere around $150 shipped. The install was a direct bolt on and I replaced the steering coupler while I was in there. The hoses seem to bolt right in with the e36 equipment. I will be using all new e36 inner and outer tie rods and leave it at that and not worry about the vent. I do have a set of e46 inners I could use I guess, but I don't think its really necessary. The e30 is running e30 inner and outer tie rods and I haven't had any issues, but the car hasn't been driven more than 2 miles I bet.

I've got a ZHP and really like that feeling, but I haven't driven the purple tag cars enough to really tell a difference. You can tell an immediate difference jumping out of the ZHP and then into the M3. I'm looking forward to driving the car with the quicker rack and would highly recommend the upgrade to anyone who is in need of replacing.

I don't think you should kill yourself to find that Gold/Yellow tag ZHP rack as you should be able to find the purple tag racks all day with a very minimal difference. If you really wanted to spend a lot of time searching, I'd find one of the Z3 racks as they are the quickest, but they're also getting very old so you'd want to refurb it before putting it in the car.

Rackdoctor should have everything you need to bolt into the car and would be a great resource to get you pointed in the right direction.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Rack Doctor has the Yellow tag (ZF ZHP) racks priced $75 more than the Purple tag (ZF) racks, and the yellow core value is $150 vs the purple core value of $125.

I wonder if the Yellow tag ZHP unit is truly worth $100 more steering response than a Purple tag.

~~~~

The worn E36 M3 rack I'm currently dailying does have nice freeway stability on center, even with high negative camber from swapped left & right 96+ M3 top hats.
    It's not a "dead spot", there's still clear response to input - instead it manifests as being resistant to wandering and doesn't require constant minute corrections on the highway like my nervous and darty Protege5 does.
    But the tradeoff is how un-sportscar-like slow it steers in tight corners. Admittedly some of that is how it's worn out, it groans and binds near lock, but the slow ratio is the core problem for tight work.
    This is a problem because my eventual goal is a balanced road & track car that's great for both auto-x and long road trips.

So for those who have E46 330i racks of any color tag - how's the freeway feel? 7-Series Smooth, DTM-Racecar Darty, or somewhere in between?

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    In my opinion, no, it's not worth the $100, however, since the job is somewhat involved and you have the extra spending cash, I think I would just get it and then never change it again while I own the car.

From driving my ZHP and also driving my dads 7 series, you're going to end up somewhere in the middle depending on the other suspension mods you have on the car. If most of your suspension is relatively stock, you're going to end up in the middle, but if you've got full poly all over the place, you're going to end up closer to the DTM darty feel.

100% I would not replace with another e36 rack if I was changing out the rack, or was doing work near the rack which would make it the job a "while you're in there" kind of thing.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by VaTechE36 View Post
    In my opinion, no, it's not worth the $100, however, since the job is somewhat involved and you have the extra spending cash, I think I would just get it and then never change it again while I own the car.

From driving my ZHP and also driving my dads 7 series, you're going to end up somewhere in the middle depending on the other suspension mods you have on the car. If most of your suspension is relatively stock, you're going to end up in the middle, but if you've got full poly all over the place, you're going to end up closer to the DTM darty feel.

100% I would not replace with another e36 rack if I was changing out the rack, or was doing work near the rack which would make it the job a "while you're in there" kind of thing.
    Yeah, I'm not looking forward to redoing this part... did the M3 one without a creeper which meant crawling backwards on my elbows with a rack on my chest. Not a recommended strategy!
    Agreed that additional suspension mods will contribute greatly to dartiness, I am rocking poly sway bushings but stock everything else to try and balance this.

Anyway, once you get some more seat time with your purple-rack-swapped E36 M3 please drop a note here about how it feels.

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    Certainly will do.

I also was on my back for everything I've been doing on my car lol. Entire front and rear suspensions out of the car and replace all bushings with AKG 75D poly, all bearings in trailing arms, new driveshaft, rebuilt diff with 3.46 gearing, adjustable rear camber arms, new control arms, bimmerworld track control arm bushings, new inner and outer tie rods, new steering coupler bushing, rebuilt camber plates, cleaned up TC Kline SA coil overs with 400/500lb springs, Full AA track pipe with new AA headers.

Should be a fun car once it gets all back together! I think I've got everything I need to reinstall, just hoping the weather holds out enough so I can get outside and wrench...
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    So I picked up a Gold 712 ZHP rack with about 130k miles locally.

I just need to pair it with standard E36 M3 tie rods correct?
    Worth replacing the rubber 'guibo' on the steering coupler?
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast