Thread: Bluetooth/NavigationDash. Enjoying this Beauty

My Cars
    Bmw 328i

Bluetooth/NavigationDash. Enjoying this Beauty

Good Morning ,

I posted a while back about getting my new bmw.
    I love it. The issue with the steering wheel does not even exist anymore to me. Amazing car. I have been driving it nonstop and went to the gas station twice now and put the minimum 89 octane gas. Ive always used 87. It feels nice to upgrade, despite the cost.

I digress.

My question now, or moreso, my request now is if more seasoned bmw experts can tell me what is the best bluetooth/navigation/camera dash system I can purchase for my 2011 328i.

I am going to Best Buy to see what they have. But i feel like they will have generic bluetooth or dash systems.

1.) Is Best Buy a good place. If so, any reccommendations? If not, any places that possibly sell good systems?

2.) Do I absolutely have to get a mechanic or expert to install it? Or can I wing it myself? I do a lot of things on my own with no help from anyone, so I just want to make sure this can be a successful DIY project.

If there is any particular system that is made specifically for beemers, that, too, will be a great help.

Thanks very much for the guidance!

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560

My Cars
    Bmw 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post

Thanks.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahar89 View Post
    [snip]
    If there is any particular system that is made specifically for beemers, that, too, will be a great help.
    Hi. Glad you are liking the car. I remember your original postings where you were concerned about the steering, so it's good to hear that it is fine and working well for you. BMW's are fantastic machines! Just a quick note, not intended to offend, but more of a helpful fun fact. "Beemers" are BMW motorcycles. "Bimmers" are BMW automobiles. Maybe some fun trivia for next time you are stuck at a dull cocktail party...

My Cars
    z3
    FWIW, 91 is the recomended octane for that vehicle. Glad you are enjoying it though

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    ...and put the minimum 89 octane gas. Ive always used 87. It feels nice to upgrade, despite the cost.
    If your car states (in the manual or on the gas cap) to use premium, that's what you should use. Ultimately you won't save any money using a lesser octane because your mileage will suffer. While some stations (at least where I live) can charge upwards of 40 cents more for premium over 87, the standard is 10 cents more.

1.) Is Best Buy a good place. If so, any reccommendations? If not, any places that possibly sell good systems?
    Best Buy is an ok place. Their prices are high (compared to Amazon for instance) but if you prefer a brick & mortar, they'll do.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    Ultimately you won't save any money using a lesser octane because your mileage will suffer.
    Running a lower octane will return better mpg, not worse

My Cars
    Bmw 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
    Hi. Glad you are liking the car. I remember your original postings where you were concerned about the steering, so it's good to hear that it is fine and working well for you. BMW's are fantastic machines! Just a quick note, not intended to offend, but more of a helpful fun fact. "Beemers" are BMW motorcycles. "Bimmers" are BMW automobiles. Maybe some fun trivia for next time you are stuck at a dull cocktail party...

I feel like an idiot. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    FWIW, 91 is the recomended octane for that vehicle. Glad you are enjoying it though

I dont mind putting even an extra 40 cents or 50 cents. If you say premium is better or necessary, then that is probably what I should do, especially since the car itself recommends it. But, I only put 89 because the passport bmw my spouse got it from told me "the middle button.. the 89" would be just fine. Here in DMV, gas prices fluctuate every week. So i said middlegrade cant hurt too much.

Recently, the check engine came on yesterday. I knew this would happen though, the car is over 100k almost. But I think it has to do with the fact that the weather was freezing, and I cranked the car too quick and its running low on fuel. Or it could be a misfired cylinder, spark plug, or something else. Autozone should let me know and I will probably be back on here with questions.

I still love the car over any other.

@montaillou

Thanks

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    If your car states (in the manual or on the gas cap) to use premium, that's what you should use. Ultimately you won't save any money using a lesser octane because your mileage will suffer. While some stations (at least where I live) can charge upwards of 40 cents more for premium over 87, the standard is 10 cents more.

Best Buy is an ok place. Their prices are high (compared to Amazon for instance) but if you prefer a brick & mortar, they'll do.
    Where is the standard 10 cents? I'd be happier doing that, in CT it's all 20c bumps.

Best Buy is also a good place to go physically look at the units. Getting an idea of fit, finish, and button placement is always nice before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Running a lower octane will return better mpg, not worse
    No it doesn't, it gets worse if the car is expecting higher/compensating for the lower octane. I've tried it back to back many times. I gain about 10% going from regular to premium, but since it's more than 10% more cost you're still losing money. As for better for the engine or not, you lose some power but the knock sensors will take care of adjusting the timing so you don't damage anything.
    Caprica Junkie