Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kevin325i build thread

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze

Kevin325i build thread

Well now that I've got some free time on my hands I figured I could snap a couple pictures and have some sort of documentation for my new car to look back on my new project.

July 2010, I blew up my turbocharged Dodge Caravan for the last time. I stated after I built the engine that if there was ever a situation that required the removal of the engine again I was done. It had been simply too much time, money, and effort to have a drag car, err minivan. It had also become so impractical that I couldn't use it for anything more than a project.

At the end of it's life the minivan had the following:
    Forged crank, eagle rods, wiseco pistons, custom 8v head, he341 turbo, etc etc. The van ran a few 14.0 at 100mph with me short shifting it because a low impedance injector problem with my Megasquirt ecu so it was a whole different animal with the other injectors in it. It lifted the head on a 30psi 4th gear pull and washed down cylinders 2 and 3. The bores we trashed... time to move on.

The same day my buddy and I were driving up the road from his house and spotted a 1998 328i automatic for sale at a gas station. The sign in the window read "Mechanic's Special" there was really no other option when I saw that. I had originally planned on taking it easy and not spending any money on a project as I'm just a broke college student. However fate has a strange way of working itself out sometimes. I've always wanted to build a completely impractical autocross/street/DE e36 and now was my chance.

We picked the car up the next day and got to work.

Progress has been slow for the last year. With school and my commitments to the Formula SAE team at UW-Madison there hasn't been much time to get a whole lot done. However in the last month since the end of competition I have been able to get a little bit done.

First I got the head off and replaced the gasket with a .140 mls. Also along the way installed a m50 oil filter housing, s52 cams, tec3r, zf manual transmission, lightweight flywheel, fx400 clutch, new oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket m50 intake manifold and technique tuning exhaust manifold.

Got the cold side piping fit up and ready to go.

Next I tried to focus on the slowing down part of the car and also trying to make it handle. I've got an entire M rear end and front end to go along with my rusty but still good ground control coil over/ koni sport shock combo of my 325i.

Yes I painted all four calipers red.. It's my one ricer vice. I like red brake calipers

Here's some more shots of how the car sits right now hoping to get the subframe reinforcements welded in and have the chassis all back together for a rolling car by the weekend.

Next on the agenda, fixing the turbo e36 inlet issue with a custom piece..

Setup, something like this:
    6262 .83 T3 v band housing
    Tec3r
    m52 with s52 cams and m50 intake
    3" exhaust, 38mm Tial open dump
    M drivetrain with poly bushings in just about everything
    and a little bit of corn burning majik, I do live in WI afterall

More to come this week, I hope..

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Welcome
    and keep us posted with progress. Looks like a fun ride there, ey?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Looks good, would be nice to see you at an autocross event.

Also, did you end up getting any of that stuff from ted?
    1994 325is- M52 swap, Fan delete, AA chip, CAI, TC-Kline DA, H&R 28mm front sway, Kevin Higgins exhaust, kosei k1 17x8.5's with RA1's, DS2's with REO1R's, 3.23 lsd

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    I wanna see vids of the turbo van.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    +1
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    +1
    there were 2 that ran 11s here in detroit
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky325 View Post
    Looks good, would be nice to see you at an autocross event.

Also, did you end up getting any of that stuff from ted?
    I ended up finding another forum member selling parts and coming to madison.

I'm trying my hardest to have the car sorted for the Miller Park event.

Quote Originally Posted by FastrTHNu View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by biglou911 View Post
    +1
    there were 2 that ran 11s here in detroit
    I've got a couple drag race videos. I'll see if I can dig them up.

The setup in the van before it let go was a pretty quick combo. With traction it would have easily been a high 12 pass. Weighed in around 2800 lbs never any dyno time with it though but somewhere in the 380whp range. I actually mounted a set of et streets for it the day I got the cylinder head off and found the bad news.. They've got about 100' on them if someone wants to pick up some 14" DRs.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Well it's been awhile since I've updated but I'm still around and a lot has happened with the car.

Welding the subframe reinforcement plates.

Elbow on the turbo outlet

Finished product for now

I got the car up and running a couple months ago around 14-15 psi. Ran decent at first then a few tweaks to the tune brought it up to snuff. When everything was working well I adjusted the boost up shooting for 18-20 psi. Ended up with 18 psi before the 750s were running out of DC. Upped the base pressure and dropped an Aeromotive 340 pump in and called it good.

Since I live in WI I'm getting ready to put the car away and enjoying the now working turbo e36 before the first snowfall. Pull through 4th gear and there's a slight hickup just as I was letting off. Check the logs and everything looks fine. It also ran fine at part throttle for a little stint so I filed it in the back of my mind. Starts right up today just fine. Let the car warm up and as soon as cylinder pressure starts to build ( 5000rpm 200kpa) it just breaks up.

Back in the garage plugs 5 and 6 come out with a heavy coolant smell and a decent amount of chalky white all over them. Oh well I hadn't really expected the MLS to hold for long. I was already planning on a simple 2.8l build this winter.

The car is now sitting under it's cover while I search for a cheap 2.8l..

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Nice to hear it is / was running. And glad to hear you didn't expect the MLS to handle the 18 psi of abuse. That must have been a rocketship with stock compression other than the MLS.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Ohh, i see why. I would give my buddy ted a call, he usually has a 2.8 for cheap.
    1994 325is- M52 swap, Fan delete, AA chip, CAI, TC-Kline DA, H&R 28mm front sway, Kevin Higgins exhaust, kosei k1 17x8.5's with RA1's, DS2's with REO1R's, 3.23 lsd

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Nice to hear it is / was running. And glad to hear you didn't expect the MLS to handle the 18 psi of abuse. That must have been a rocketship with stock compression other than the MLS.
    It was certainly very quick. First and second gear were useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky325 View Post
    Ohh, i see why. I would give my buddy ted a call, he usually has a 2.8 for cheap.
    I'll give that a shot, really only looking for a block right now. Probably end up doing a simple build for the 500hp range since the clutch and fuel system won't be up to snuff and I'd like to be able to do track days with it.

Right now the plan is pretty open.

CR: 9.5-1 (I've had good luck with wiseco, probably something form them)
    ~84mm bore
    O-ring block with factory gasket
    Eagle rods
    Crank???

My Cars
    '00 528ia Sport, '07 MCS
    Hey Kev, I just check CL in Minneapolis not 5 minutes ago. There were several 528s and a few 3 series being parted. if you head this way for anything, let me know. I would love to meet up.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Well I got the car out of storage a few months ago but haven't had any time to tinker with it for awhile. I also picked up another m52 preemptively to replace the one in the car if I need to.

After a little bit more troubleshooting I found the car still had good compression numbers and the only smoke it produced was a little bit of oil burning on start up and idle. After it drives it's fine. I'll chalk it up to turbo oil drain issues.

Pulled the plugs again and no smell of coolant this time after just a short trip around the block and still an ignition breakup issue. I gapped the plugs down to .022" and it runs just fine again. It's sort of a strange thing to have suddenly occur as the car was running fine but I'll take what I can get. For the time being the car is up and running again.

Since I've got the other engine I can take my time and build it. Probably turn the power down out of the stock one until I get the new engine together and then see what the setup can take.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Nice work!

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    1998 M3
    is the intercooler piping below the subframe?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Nice to see another Wisco turbo e36!!! Ever think about running @ Road America? Dells for carshow this weekend just down the road from you as well! Good luck with the build!
    Derek

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980corvette View Post
    is the intercooler piping below the subframe?
    Yes, the hot side piping runs under the subframe. I tried clocking the turbo and even with the cut short and welded on cast 90* I couldn't fit it over.

I run a reasonable ride height on the car and it hasn't touched anything (yet) so I'm not terribly worried about it. There's a pretty good chance that I'll make some time to redo the piping eventually and go over the subframe.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin325i

Yes, the hot side piping runs under the subframe. I tried clocking the turbo and even with the cut short and welded on cast 90* I couldn't fit it over.

I run a reasonable ride height on the car and it hasn't touched anything (yet) so I'm not terribly worried about it. There's a pretty good chance that I'll make some time to redo the piping eventually and go over the subframe.
    I've been trying to read through threads and find how you can run the intercooler piping over the subframe on a bottom mount setup.

when I start my build I would like to get mine over and really don't mind if I have to delete the A/C in the process, never really use it anyway even in this Los Angeles heat.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980corvette View Post
    I've been trying to read through threads and find how you can run the intercooler piping over the subframe on a bottom mount setup.

when I start my build I would like to get mine over and really don't mind if I have to delete the A/C in the process, never really use it anyway even in this Los Angeles heat.
    I thought to run it over the subframe you just need to get a costume engine mount. Like this one:

http://www.racersmarket.net/index.ph...hk=1&Itemid=93

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Well it's been awhile since I've updated this. I'll try to remember what's happened.

The engine is still in the car. I drove it for a little bit when I had the chance the summer of 2012 but my time was mostly spent chasing a fairly large oil leak from the rear of the cylinder head. I'm going to blame it on some poor surface preparation for the block. The rear area of the block didn't really get as much attention as it needed when I originally installed the mls head gasket. Because of the oil leak I was only driving the car every now and then and sorted out some little driveability issues here and there.

The most notable issue came up when I attended a private drag strip rental on street tires. The calibration had been established around trying to get the turbo spun up and making power relatively aggressively. This was great for screwing around on the street and pulling through the higher gears but it left a lot to be desired when it came time to get the car off the line. I produced some high 12/low 13 passes at mid 120s for trap speeds with dismal 60' times localized around 2.6s.

Through some negotiations with Ding I traded the painted DS wheels plus some BBS wheels for a square set of d force LTW5s.

Winter was coming again and my final year of college wasn't looking like I'd have much time for the car so I moved the vehicle further north to a friends shop where it sat for a year before I touched it again. I had always hated how loud the second summit muffler made the car so I picked up a Dynomax VT hoping that installation of that would help my problem. I spent a few days at the shop working on the endurance racer Festiva and also reworking the exhaust system.

Here's a couple pictures of well, really just some pretty minimal progress to remaking the exhaust system. You can see the burning oil/ dripping on the downpipe.

The other engine is coming in handy. It's apart and I'm in process of cleaning and reassembling everything. Hoping to put together something that doesn't leak oil so I can daily drive it at a minimum. The rest, well we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Kevin325i; 01-28-2014 at 11:01 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Finished up the exhaust system and tied in the wastegate to the downpipe. Also made an intake with the new motor mount installed.

Rear section of exhaust tacked together

Finish welds

New front section of the exhaust. Came out a lot nicer than the pieces that got thrown together last time

New wastegate location and tie in to downpipe

New motor mount and intake

Waiting on a set of pistons for the bores to get finished up. Other than that I've got about everything I need to get the engine back together.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    Got the machine work finished up and engine started going back together without much fuss. With the head gasket and the machined head and block I should be right at about 8.8:1 compression ratio but need to take a final cc measurement to be positive. Still waiting on the brackets for mounting the oil pump pickup tubes then the oil pan will go on. Need to pull the other engine from the car to get the s52 cams and trays installed. Hopefully I'll get everything together and the car running before the snow falls this year. I've been contemplating going back to 91/93 octane for the time being, the fuel system is inadequate for anything more than about 500whp on e85 so I could make similar power switching at this point since I'm not really taking advantage of huge cylinder pressures. Plus it's a pain taking the car anywhere when you're not sure if you can get e85.

At this point I figure 500whp running around at some track days will be more that enough to put a smile on my face. I do have a good upgrade path later in that I could change cams, turbo, exhaust, intercooler, and fuel system to make tons more power (and fail lots of driveline components) if I so desire. For the time being this will be fine.

Setup for those who haven't been following along:

m52 block 85mm bore
    m52 crank
    TRM/ Wiseco 85mm piston
    JE Cutring .063
    s52 cylinder head +1mm intake/ exhaust valves (supertech SS intake, inconel exhaust) supertech valvespring kit/retainers/ seats, new guides, welded rear coolant port near cylinder 6
    s52 cams
    s54 oil filter housing, oil pump, pan
    TT Manifold
    6262 t3 .82, v band discharge
    2.5" hot side, 3" cold side intercooler piping
    3" Exhaust, magnaflow resonator, dynomax VT mufler
    Tec3r

Now onto the pictures

Block painted with high temp flat black paint. I didn't want anything flashy, just something that wasn't rust colored and would hold up.

Pistons and connecting rods.

Pistons on the rods

Installed

Cylinder head, +1mm intake and exhaust valves

Modification of cylinder head for #6 'issue'

Another of the coolant port

Head gasket set on the block

Well how's that supposed to seal anything?

Oh I see what you did there

Closeup of cutrings

Cylinder head installed and torqued, s54 oil filter housing mounted

s54 Oil pump installed

My Cars
    Estoril Mcoupe
    Very nass...

My Cars
    325i
    Very smart man by going with the cutrings. It's a no brainer for me, cutrings is the only way to go to seal up the combustion chamber. The cutrings is so much superior over stock thin flimsy folded metal firing ring with rounded edge. Especially on m5x oem stock gasket where the firing ring is not even round! I've seen too many stock gasket fails where the firing ring is pushed out or burnt through between cylinder.

It's nice to see an old post revised with great update. Looking forward to a great result.
    Fast lookin' but slow movin'
    237 rwhp N/A power

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by M3poseur View Post
    Very smart man by going with the cutrings. It's a no brainer for me, cutrings is the only way to go to seal up the combustion chamber. The cutrings is so much superior over stock thin flimsy folded metal firing ring with rounded edge. Especially on m5x oem stock gasket where the firing ring is not even round! I've seen too many stock gasket fails where the firing ring is pushed out or burnt through between cylinder.

It's nice to see an old post revised with great update. Looking forward to a great result.
    My stock s50 took a shit between cylinders 4 and 5, four weeks ago, good thing i already had the plan to go FI, did the gasket 3 years ago/10,000 miles... BEWARE OF Victor Reinz oem head gaskets

Sweet build! my pt 6262 gets here next friday

Dream big, work hard, and let what you love, be what you do.

Best in Arizona, Certified Master Technitions, Founded in 1992 and family owned since.
    http://ultimateautoworks.com/

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast