BAVToys

Thread: E90 break light issues

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi

E90 break light issues

Hello all! New to the forum because I've only recently purchased my first bimmer, a 2009 BMW 328xi (love it), and I'm trying to fix some minor issues that it has. I've spent a lot of time searching and I can't quite find someone whose had exactly the same problem that I have. Also hope that I'm posting this in the correct place.

I believe there are 2 issues. 1) I'm getting a "Right brake light malfunction" message when I start the car, however I cannot see any issue with the right brake lights. 2) there is however an issue with my inner left brake light (the one on the trunk) not turning on. I've removed the trunk panel to try to figure out why this is happening, however when I pull the white bulb harness out the brake light bulb is not on, same as on the right side. I believe this is because there is no grounding when I pull the harness out right? But when I put the car in reverse the reverse bulb does turn on, on both sides. I've switched the bulb with the bulb from the right side and there is no change, so I guess that's not the issue. Is this a bulb holder issue? Or do I need a new harness? or even a whole new light housing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: just realized I spelled it "break" not brake in the title... fuuuu

Last edited by 7nate9; 11-16-2016 at 04:50 AM.

My Cars
    05 330i
    Maybe use a multimeter to see if there is a voltage going to the bulb holder.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Are any led's not lighting up

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by justinca540i View Post
    Maybe use a multimeter to see if there is a voltage going to the bulb holder.
    yeah I was thinking of trying that next but can't seem to locate my multimeter, time for a new one I guess. thanks for the advice! if there's no voltage I'll just replace the holder. To my understanding E92s had a big problem with these as well?

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Are any led's not lighting up
    are you guys seeing the pic I included in my post? If my research is correct then LCI E90s use bulbs not LEDs in the brake lights, I believe. It seems like it's only that inner left brake light bulb (i think its called a forced brake light/fog light) on the trunk that's not lighting up. so there isn't any actual LEDs that aren't working.
    Last edited by 7nate9; 11-16-2016 at 12:00 AM.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi
    update! after cleaning the bulb holder, and having no luck, I ordered a new one in from a local BMW dealership aaaaaaaaaand no luck guess it must be a wiring issue, although the wiring looks fine in the trunk :/ pretty much stuck now tbh

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Don't focus on the wiring in the trunk, unless there is obvious physical damage, but focus on the rubber harness connection between the trunk lid and trunk opening.
    Wiggle this section of harness while observing the reactions of the faulty lights. The opening and closing action of the trunk lid can cause the wires contained inside of
    that harness to crack or short out. This can cause intermittent operation or total failure of lighting, due to break in wiring causing loss of power. This video provides the location of the wiring and a DIY fix for broken wiring:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_iI37G9k48

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Don't focus on the wiring in the trunk, unless there is obvious physical damage, but focus on the rubber harness connection between the trunk lid and trunk opening.
    Wiggle this section of harness while observing the reactions of the faulty lights. The opening and closing action of the trunk lid can cause the wires contained inside of
    that harness to crack or short out. This can cause intermittent operation or total failure of lighting, due to break in wiring causing loss of power. This video provides the location of the wiring and a DIY fix for broken wiring:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_iI37G9k48
    thank you so much dude, you were correct. there was 1 wire that split inside that rubber tube. soldered in some new wire today and it's finally working again!!!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Just trying to pass it on, one enthusiast to another!