Thread: M30 ljet-motronic conversion ...turbo management

My Cars
    1979 bmw 528i

M30 ljet-motronic conversion ...turbo management

Hey this my first post on any forum although I've been reading these forums for a couple years I'm sorry if I posted this under the wrong section I have 0 experience actually using forums. Anyway i own two e12s and two e28s
    The e28s are kind of the parts cars they're not in great condition, one of the e28s is a 85 so I'm gonna be using all the motronic stuff off that to convert the 79 e12 528i to motronic I would just drop the whole m30b34 off the e28 in but I kinda fucked up in rebuilding the head on the m30b28 I should of just dropped in a m30b34 in the first place but now I don't wanna just take out the m30b28 and have it sit there bc I spent some money on it. So I have a couple questions that I'm still unclear about converting l-jet to motronic .
    #1 the distributer. I heard I might need a camshaft nut or to install the e28 cam to fit in the e28 distributer? I know I need the upper timing cover. If I need some sort of nut or adapter could anyone provide a link ?
    #2 what wires would I have to hook up to the fuse box when I switch to motronic ?again if anyone has a link to a thread on how to hook up those wires it would be really appreciated!
    #3 this is more of a future thing but would the m30b34 block bolt right up to the e12 I've read it bolts right up I've also read it doesn't.

So after I convert it to motronic I wanna turbo it and I have some questions about the engine management, well I need some opinions
    If I convert to motronic I'll have a crank sensor and I could tune the timing and fuel with like a war chip or a tcd chip for timing and a adjustable fpr is there's any other way of tuning timing and fuel with a stock ecu ?
    The other way which I'm terrified of is megasquirt, I could do the bellhousing and the motronic flywheel with crank position sensors I don't know if they're compatible with megasquirt though. I read a little bit but not too much I guess I would have to wire the injectors and the tps a temperature sensor a o2 sensor I'm not sure how to do any of this. I would rather do megasquirt because I have bigger plans for the future and I know it's a better management for higher hp applications but I'm just intimidated to take on that project if I had anyone to give me advice or could ask questions about it I think I would give it a shot!

Thanks in advance and let me know If there's anything I should do differently when I post on this forum ... Thank you

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    You should not bother installing the motronic 1.1 from an M30B34, it isn't worth it. Plus you have to replace the transmission to get the sensor holes. If you want motronic, use the 1.3 system from an M30B35. It has a wheel and sensor on the front of the engine and can use any transmission. And is just a much better more functional system.

Megasquirt is great too. Resources for it are everywhere on the internet. Thousands of people have installed it on M30's. I think they even sell a 'plug-n-play' setup now that goes right onto the Motronic 55 pin connector. You can find all the info you need already online. You cannot use the dual crankshaft sensors from Motronic 1.1 for megasquirt (it's not impossible to make a circuit to do that, but as far as I know no one sells it). You CAN use the front mounted wheel and sensor from Motronic 1.3 to operate megasquirt (it's a 60-2 wheel, 60 teeth equally spaced with 2 teeth missing, a very standard configuration). You can also modify your L-jet wiring harness to use megasquirt, but it will take more work and lack some functions of using the newer wiring.

Both systems are great and will work well with a turbo, but the megasquirt will require a LOT more research and effort on your part.

#1 I'm pretty sure you have to replace the entire camshaft.

#2 Look at the wires connecting your fusebox to the engine. Each one of those has to be cut and spliced into the motronic connector. Roughly 10-12 wires.

#3 I recently installed an M30B34 into a 3.0CS (the chassis is very similar to E12). I didn't have any problems bolting it up. I used the 3.0CS oil pan.
    Last edited by Layne; 02-08-2017 at 09:49 AM.

My Cars
    1981 318 IC
    @layne, did you install a M30b34 with motronic 1.3 or megasquirt in the 3.0 CS? I am in the process of installing a M90 (euro M30) engine in E12 with B35 wiring harness. Did you have to modify the B34 wiring harness to the engine? Also were all the wire present to connect to the fuse box?