Thread: 2006 M5 SMG Issues Please Help

My Cars
    BMW 540i

2006 M5 SMG Issues Please Help

Bought a 2006 M5 SMG in May of 2015. Had some issues when I got the car with the way it was shifting - had to have adaptations done. Used car dealer (not bmw) I got the car from said they would pay to have it taken care of. While at BMW of Freehold NJ I was told it also needed a battery. The used car dealer I got the car from said they would not pay for a battery so I said I would pay cash for it.

Fast forward to August 2016. Out of no where - no warning, no lights on dash, no weird shifts no warning at all - they car would not start. Upon researching online I found that the SMG pump was not kicking on when i disarmed and opened the door (no buzz from in the engine bay). Two days passed and I attempted to start the car here and there and nothing. Then on the 3rd day i sat there with the door open for a few min and i heard the pump kick on and the car started no problem. Drove the car for an hour without issue and parked it. Waited 45min and attempted to start the car again and it would not start. From research online I concluded that it was either the SMG pump or Pump motor - more likely the motor.

September 2016 I had the car taken to BMW of Wyoming Valley (Wilkes Barre Pa) - my local dealer. They checked out the car and said that all I needed was a battery. I explained to them everything that was done already and the research that was done and that from said research it was more likely the SMG Pump Motor at fault, yet they said my battery was "shot". Explained that the battery was done by BMW Freehold Nj a little over a year ago and inquired about just charging battery as it must have been dead from me attempting to start the car and diagnose the issue over the past month. They said that the battery was "shot" (their words) and that it HAD to be replaced, but If i could get a receipt showing I got a battery it would be under warranty. Called BMW Freehold and they found the receipt and faxed it to BMW Wyoming Valley. Got a call stating they WOULD NOT warranty the battery as the receipt is not in my name - it was in the name of the used car dealer that I bought the car from as they were doing other work to the car and just put everything on one receipt. No way to get a receipt in my name, I had to pay to have the battery done. One day later I get a call from BMW Wyoming Valley stating that the car was ready to be picked up - that all it needed was a battery. Since I was coming in severely under budget and my oil change was up - I asked them to preform the oil change. They said that I could pick the car up the next day. When I went to pick up the car - it would not start. They checked it and now said it was either the SMG Pump or Pump Motor.

The quote I was given for the pump motor was $2100. I asked if there was any way that they could tell if it was the motor or the pump that was bad and I was told the only way is to start replacing parts. I gave the OK for the pump motor to be installed and was told it would be a couple days. This was 5 days ago. I called today to ask for an update. I was told and I quote "That motor isn't going to work in your car, its going to need the whole assembly, I haven't been able to get you a quote on the labor, hopefully today I can and Ill call you back".

Now I'm starting to think that I'm getting played here. First the battery, then they couldn't tell if it was the motor or pump, now they could tell it wasn't the motor (but he didn't say anything about actually installing the motor). It also took him 5 days to figure out that it wasn't the motor and get me an estimate on the pump.

Starting to think I should be taking this car elsewhere to get looked at - and really could use the opinions of some people who know what may be going on.

Please help!

My Cars
    2001 750il Shadowline
    m5board.com
    2007 E60 M5 Silverstone/Blk 6speed
    2001 E38 750il Shadowline
    2002 P38 Range Rover Holland and Holland
    2008 E65 Alpina B7

My Cars
    2008 M6
    The SMG Hydraulics go out on these cars, not just the E6x's. You can get lucky and just replace the motor sometimes, but with my M6 and previous M's I've owned you need to replace the sensors, and basically the whole hydro unit which is typically $5400 for the part. Its not a bad idea to replace the clutch and flywheel while you're there to save you money down the road. If you need my contact for the hydro system or other M parts, let me know and I can private message you, you'll probably get it for half the cost with low miles.

Best of luck man. When these cars go out of warranty, you need to make a decision on staying the course or cutting them lose when they start hitting known defects. Ive replaced just about everything including the motor and clutch, flywheel, hydro system, etc.

I only drive mine some weekends, here it is.

Last edited by ACSindyredM6; 11-30-2016 at 08:07 PM.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I am not yet familiar with these cars to give you advice on the fix, however I would look for another dealer / shop to work on the car. From your original post, I would consider that dealer's actions unscrupulous to say the least. You told them you did not think it was the battery from the start, they should have listened to you and checked the SMG system - at least save you the cost of a battery you did not need.

Also, someone posted M5 Board... you should check it out as there is a deep pool of knowledge about these cars over there.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    why are you taking your car to BMW, they are stealing your money and throwing parts at it. take it to an independent BMW specific shop. There should be a 1 or 2 in your area that are good.