Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Turbo LS with TH400 and Ford 8.8

My Cars
    2002 353I
    some progress being made but not much to post about ive got my intercooler piping done now. I had to rework the throttle body side because the first pipe hit the back of the headlight. I have a few more bends in it now but fits much better.

I'm going to start mounting the electronics and doing the plumbing for fuel, turbo, wastegtes exc..

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Your fab skills are top notch.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
    Your fab skills are top notch.
    I appreciate that. I am still pretty new to tig welding. I'm getting better but not near where I want to be. it will hold though.

coils, brackets and harness came in today. all new OEM parts.

I need to get another piece for the upper radiator hose the one piece was a little short. added in a fill neck to it I had laying around.

I got the blow off welded on too.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Coming together nicely. I'd like to see the room available towards the back of the engine for the down pipe.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    I had to modify the motor mount I bought and use pie cuts to go around but the downpipe goes between the motor and motor mount and makes a sharp bend down then back to go around the starter. It's a 4" pipe and currently stops at the trans but it will go all the way back. I'm still deciding what I want to do.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    progress is being made but its a bunch of little tedious stuff. not a whole lot that is picture worthy.

I got the shifter put in, had cut the tunnel a little and box it in.

the driveshaft was cut to size and tack welded and test fit. ill bring it for final welding and balancing.

I started on the exhaust but I am waiting for the rear bumper to arrive so I can get final placement on the 2 rear mufflers and tail pipes.

once the exhaust is done I can finish up the fuel lines and pump mounting as well as the rear mounted trans cooler.

I will have a total of three mufflers on the car to try to keep it quiet. the first is a large magnaflow to go from the 4" downpipe splits to duel 3" pipes.

quick connect transmission lines

this is the SCS cheetah shifter. I chose this one because it has a short arm on it, I feared if I would have got like a B&M pro magnum that I am used to it would have hit the dash in park.

oil pan return and feed lines welded in

pulled the motor back out for the oil pan work as well as installed the line lock and proporting valve.

cutting the driveshaft down to size

had to do some pie cuts to go over the axle but around the panhard bar.

I could not find a rubber hose that would fit the S bend I needed so I cut the old nipple off and welded on a 90* elbow and just needed a 90* bend on the rubber hose.

that's where the filter will go.

boxed in under the old shifter hole and filled with spray foam.

Last edited by FoxBodyRacing; 03-18-2017 at 02:50 PM.

My Cars
    1995 ///M3

Turbo LS with TH400 and Ford 8.8

Your updates always make my day... and the pictures underneath the rear end give me hope for all Americans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stackdeezy; 03-19-2017 at 10:40 PM.

My Cars
    93 318is
    I wish I had your fabrication skills

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerlife93 View Post
    I wish I had your fabrication skills

have you tried? its not hard its just a matter of telling yourself if someone else can do it then you can too. I taught myself through trial, error, practice. if you can afford to buy the right equipment helps tremendously. the most crucial part is taking the time to make things fit together properly with little to no gap for welding and making sure what your welding on is very clean. I am still trying to master that clean stack of dimes look but all that will come with torch time and learning to control dipping the rod and moving the torch and controlling the heat. my first time tig welding was in November. I can mig weld with the best of them but tig is a completely different beast.

My Cars
    93 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxBodyRacing View Post
    have you tried? its not hard its just a matter of telling yourself if someone else can do it then you can too. I taught myself through trial, error, practice. if you can afford to buy the right equipment helps tremendously. the most crucial part is taking the time to make things fit together properly with little to no gap for welding and making sure what your welding on is very clean. I am still trying to master that clean stack of dimes look but all that will come with torch time and learning to control dipping the rod and moving the torch and controlling the heat. my first time tig welding was in November. I can mig weld with the best of them but tig is a completely different beast.
    I have tried some. I just have a little 110 stick welder but the welds are pretty horrible so far. I have tried mig welding some, its definitely easier but like you said if your going to teach yourself it will take practice

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Looking really good! I hope to get started on mine fairly soon. I ordered a billet BW S476 last week.

I'm slowly learned about turbos and such, but do you know how my s476 will compare in size to your gt-??

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxBodyRacing View Post
    My welding sux, but I am a master grinder! :P

Why the th400? your not going to like it on the highway without overdirve. I don't know the options these days but I started using the 700r4 back in like 89 I think.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl
    WOW! Amazing fab work!

I bow to the master.

This thing makes my swapped RX7 look like a junk yard dog and I took a couple show trophies with it.
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    That is better than a "master beater" or the other!
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by txdarth View Post
    that is better than a "master beater" or the other!

rotfl. :d

Semper Fi

My Cars
    2002 353I

Why the th400? your not going to like it on the highway without overdirve. I don't know the options these days but I started using the 700r4 back in like 89 I think.
    with a 27" tire and a 331 gear it should not be terrible on the highway. the affordable options for a trans small enough to fit in the tunnel able to handle the power is slim. the only other option was a 4L80E but a built 4L80E with a good converter and controller will cost 6K+. that's double what I have into the TH400. and the TH400 is damn near bulletproof.

I have buit and used C4's and powerglides in a lot of the mustangs I have built with 3.73's and 4.10's it revs higher on the highway but still plenty driveable. keeping it cool is the most important thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bikedad View Post
    WOW! Amazing fab work!

I bow to the master.

This thing makes my swapped RX7 look like a junk yard dog and I took a couple show trophies with it.
    Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by screamin88 View Post
    Looking really good! I hope to get started on mine fairly soon. I ordered a billet BW S476 last week.

I'm slowly learned about turbos and such, but do you know how my s476 will compare in size to your gt-??
    that's probably pretty close to the size I'm running. I'm not sure if that's a ball Bering turbo or not. mine is a duel scroll ball Bering so it should spool up pretty quick.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    converter came in

rear bumper came in. I had to hack the shit out of a $400 bumper and a $140 carbon fiber insert to make them work together. (will still require bodywork to mold them together)
    the bumper requires the older style mounts so ill be going to the junkyard tomorrow to get some. I saw a car out there that should have what I need.

I am not looking forward to welding all those pie cuts.

hopefully with 3 mufflers it will be somewhat quiet and not able to tell there is an LS in there.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Looking good!

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    That will be nice and quiet. I'll try and find an audio clip of a Volvo with a turbo'd 6.0 with a straight through Magnaflow.

Found it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Et4VHeo7kU

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl

Not thread jacking to OP just saying Hi to a fellow norotor

Hey Ian.
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedad View Post
    Not thread jacking to OP just saying Hi to a fellow norotor

Hey Ian.

Hey Don! He's doing a fantastic job on this car. I'm glad he is building this when he is because it has given me a lot of inspiration to get my car going. It will be similar but not the same.
    Last edited by screamin88; 03-22-2017 at 11:16 AM.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    That will be nice and quiet. I'll try and find an audio clip of a Volvo with a turbo'd 6.0 with a straight through Magnaflow.

Found it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Et4VHeo7kU
    the vibrant ultra quiet mufflers that are attached to the tip I think actually dull the noise better then the big ass magnaflow. I yelled as loud as I could through it and the small vibrant ones seemed to quiet it down better.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    I plan on 3" after the 4" cutout with a glasspack/bullet muffler or 2 and a Dynomax Ultraflo or a Magnaflow in the OEM location.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    PTC converters are awesome. I ran one behind a turbo sbc with a th400 and it was as tight as a stock converter driving around town but it would flash just high enough to get you in boost when you nailed it, in my case 3000 rpm. I thought PTC matched it perfectly.

3.31's should be fine on the highway but you may find that the car is quicker with taller gears. Switching from 3.70's to 3.08's made a HUGE difference in acceleration in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Exhaust looks fantastic! If I could respectfully make one suggestion: I think it may be wise to weld the drivers side "over axle, under panhard" section prior to locking in the muffler. The shrinkage rate of stainless is huge and I'd be afraid that the numerous pie cuts you had to make are going to draw significantly on you. Could screw up the tip to valence alignment and that would stink!

Awesome execution on this project. Clean, clean, clean!

S.F.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast