Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Turbo LS with TH400 and Ford 8.8

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    Exhaust looks fantastic! If I could respectfully make one suggestion: I think it may be wise to weld the drivers side "over axle, under panhard" section prior to locking in the muffler. The shrinkage rate of stainless is huge and I'd be afraid that the numerous pie cuts you had to make are going to draw significantly on you. Could screw up the tip to valence alignment and that would stink!

Awesome execution on this project. Clean, clean, clean!

S.F.
    the 3" section is just alumized steel and I welded it all up last night. I have not test fit it back up yet but I imagine there is some distortion. I will adjust as needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BigL350 View Post
    PTC converters are awesome. I ran one behind a turbo sbc with a th400 and it was as tight as a stock converter driving around town but it would flash just high enough to get you in boost when you nailed it, in my case 3000 rpm. I thought PTC matched it perfectly.

3.31's should be fine on the highway but you may find that the car is quicker with taller gears. Switching from 3.70's to 3.08's made a HUGE difference in acceleration in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have a bunch of different sets sitting here. 2.73's, 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, 4.30, 4.55. I figured id try the 3.31's first and see where I wanted to go from there. I can swap gears out I about 2 hours.

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    2.73 will certainly give you decent Rpm's highway and thats a nice selection I gotta say! What are you gonna run 1/4 mile off the bat? 4.10? did you mean 3.31 for around the town driving? Is there a break in period needed here?
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
    2.73 will certainly give you decent Rpm's highway and thats a nice selection I gotta say! What are you gonna run 1/4 mile off the bat? 4.10? did you mean 3.31 for around the town driving? Is there a break in period needed here?
    ive got 3.31's in there now I don't think I am going to go any higher than that. I may drop down to a 3.08 if I feel I want more MPH.

yeah I have done a lot of gears over the years for customers fox bodies and I have saved a few sets just to have them around. the lower ratios are used and the higher ones are all new.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    finished the fuse/relay panel today. started routing wires and mounted the PS pump.

I used a pretty thick piece of aluminum(.090). I smoothed and rounded all the holes the wires are going through. the metal is too thick and the holes are too close together to put grommets in. the wires that go through the metal are on permanent mounts so they wont be moving at all so I'm not really worried about them shorting out. and if they do they are all on fused circuits.

top row is for the input or "switch" wires and the bottom row is for outputs. I ground pretty much all accessories right at the unit itself to the body.

installed the PS pump today and got pretty lucky for clearance. you can see from the playdough how close the hood gets.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    modified the back seats to fit around the tubs. not a terrible fit considering. latches still work seats still pivot, gotta do the sides still.

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    DAMN THIS IS BADASS! This is going to be a serious street/strip car! I can't wait to see the first start-up video. Killer fab skills too!

My Cars
    1995 ///M3
    The attention to detail and the time spent making it right is fantastic.

What are you doing for engine management again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by Stackdeezy View Post
    The attention to detail and the time spent making it right is fantastic.

What are you doing for engine management again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holley HP EFI with the Holley 7.5" digital dash for gauges.

hoping to get it running in the next 2 hours. (fingers crossed)

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxBodyRacing View Post
    Holley HP EFI with the Holley 7.5" digital dash for gauges.

hoping to get it running in the next 2 hours. (fingers crossed)
    Hell yeah!

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Sooooo. I got it running..... but Comp Cams trolled me with there confusing ass timing chain setup. needless to say valves decided to rape pistons. it was a little noisy on startup at first and I thought it was due to the lifters not being pumped up yet. i was right, they were not pumped up... but when they did pump up i have 3 valves go through two pistons. and one broken "but fixable" head.

i already ordered and received my new forged aluminum Wesico pistons and Callies compstar rods courtesy of lil Johns motorsports. i already got another head and i am putting in new stainless valves and all new cam, rod and crank bearings. ill drop it off at the machine shop Monday and hopefully be ready by Friday.

this is how i had it installed, if you look 3 teeth over to the left on the crank gear you will see a 0, that's where the cam dot was supposed to be.

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Wow that sprocket is confusing. Sucks.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Damn man!! You break shit like a boss.

I had that same style timing chain. Hated it.

Forged parts mean more boost. It's a blessing in disguise.

My Cars
    E36 - 1998 328iS - LS2
    That

Sucks

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Damn man!! You break shit like a boss.

I had that same style timing chain. Hated it.

Forged parts mean more boost. It's a blessing in disguise.

its my own fault for not checking PtV clearance. I was going to eventually upgrade but the decision was made for me a little sooner. it will set me back about a month and prolly about $2500 after everything is said and done. I'm not mad, shit happens, i learned my lesson that's for sure.

other than all that i have to say BMW engineers did a fantastic job on a lot of parts on the car but i was super please with how easy it was to remove the gauge cluster. i am used to fox body mustangs where its a 2 hour job and probably going to cut the shit out of your wrists trying to reach behind all the sharp plastic to disconnect the plugs and speedo cable.

the BMW was 2 screws and the whole cluster came out with like 2' of harness and super easy fold over release clips. i am taking the stock cluster out and installing the Holley 7.5" digital dash for my gauges with 1/4" ABS plastic as a bezel for it.

Last edited by FoxBodyRacing; 04-15-2017 at 03:41 PM.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    its my own fault for not checking PtV clearance. I was going to eventually upgrade but the decision was made for me a little sooner. it will set me back about a month and prolly about $2500 after everything is said and done. I'm not mad, shit happens, i learned my lesson that's for sure.

other than all that i have to say BMW engineers did a fantastic job on a lot of parts on the car but i was super please with how easy it was to remove the gauge cluster. i am used to fox body mustangs where its a 2 hour job and probably going to cut the shit out of your wrists trying to reach behind all the sharp plastic to disconnect the plugs and speedo cable.

the BMW was 2 screws and the whole cluster came out with like 2' of harness and super easy fold over release clips. i am taking the stock cluster out and installing the Holley 7.5" digital dash for my gauges with 1/4" ABS plastic as a bezel for it.

I think we all go through the "expensive lesson" at some point. Oh well, learn and know better for next time. That dash will be nice. Its almost too customizable! Looking forward to updates on that.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Wow, that crank sprocket really put the screws to you! Hate to see you have to start over and spend a bunch you weren't planning on. Can I ask you where you bought the abs plastic sheet for your gauge work? I'm considering making my own under body tray for the front bumper area.

S.F.

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenFox View Post
    Wow, that crank sprocket really put the screws to you! Hate to see you have to start over and spend a bunch you weren't planning on. Can I ask you where you bought the abs plastic sheet for your gauge work? I'm considering making my own under body tray for the front bumper area.

S.F.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271491782441...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    this is how i had it installed, if you look 3 teeth over to the left on the crank gear you will see a 0, that's where the cam dot was supposed to be.
    HOLY sheet! I would have done the same thing! thats retarded!! REALLY Advanced?. Shit ti's been so long I can't remember!Lol I generally just pop it on tdc during break in and advance afterwards so that would have caught me for sure especially because the other TDC symbol is hard to see in comparison. There is no reason for them to use a TDC symbol for non adjusted standard marks. An "X" would have worked just fine. The only reason I can think of for this is they are trying to make people frag engines and that is probably actionable.
    Last edited by Hueristic; 04-17-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
    HOLY sheet! I would have done the same thing! thats retarded!! Well advanced really. Lol I generally just pop it on tdc during break in and advance aftwerwards so that would have caught me for sure especially because the other TDC symbol is hard to see in comparison. There is no reason for them to use a TDC symbol for non adjusted standard marks. An "X" would have worked just fine. The only reason I can think of for this is they are trying to make people frag engines and that is probably actionable.

in thay will come back and say its my fault for not checking PtV. had I done that I would have notices something was not right then re read the instructions. they did explain what to do but I didn't understand it until after I went looking for something I did wrong

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    in thay will come back and say its my fault for not checking PtV. had I done that I would have notices something was not right then re read the instructions. they did explain what to do but I didn't understand it until after I went looking for something I did wrong
    Shit the last time I did one was a 0 for tdc a for advanced and r for retarded. No muss no fuss. I bet there's enough people out their that have done this to get them to change that symbol. Anyone know when they started this? I haven't done a cam/chain in 10 years or so and pretty sure it was the same then.

Semper Fi

My Cars
    2002 353I
    well I got my engine back from the machine shop. time to start assembling.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Now we are ready for some cereal power!!!

My Cars
    2002 353I
    coming along. got the motor built and ready to drop back in

timing correct this time.

plenty of PtV clearance

reused the MLS gaskets with some copper coating on them.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Right on! Glad my downpipe isn't the only one that has some "convincing."

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Right on! Glad my downpipe isn't the only one that has some "convincing."
    Yeah hat to make room for a fan.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast