Thread: E36/E46 modified trailing arm brackets

My Cars
    my brother's ti

E36/E46 modified trailing arm brackets

so as some of you may know, e36 and e46 rear suspension does not have enough adjustment for toe-in when running zero camber on a lowered car. there are a few different ways to fix this, but I thought i'd post how I(and many others) fix this problem. its not the easiest thing to explain, so i'm just going to post a few pictures of the process and people can ask questions if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

i will update after i find the right sized bolt and washers to show how the bushing will be offset to one side instead of centered in the bracket.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    So this isn't to change toe, it's to allow the toe adjuster to move properly so that you CAN change toe? How do you measure where you move the pivot point without mucking stuff up worse?

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    the bolt holes for the trailing arm brackets are slotted, so we are adjusting toe just like anyone would from the factory. when modifying the brackets we are basically just giving the trailing arm a new range of adjustment by allowing the trailing arm bushing to sit farther inward of the bracket for more toe-in. no measuring needed, but you would need a new alignment after installing.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3LX View Post
    no measuring needed.
    See... that scares me. How much is too much? What about making sure both sides are the same? I know it doesn't need to be super precise since we have alignment machines and adjusters, but you're modifying a fulcrum that articulates enough down a long lever to make a difference. The parts are slotted on only one axis, but you reweld the bracket in two.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    i think you are just over-thinking this a little bit. hopefully my next update will help explain it better, i will take pictures with these actually installed on a trailing arm.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    You sound like my wife... and parents... and therapist....

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    LOL im not very good at explaining things on the internet, i think the pictures will help

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I know what your doing, I am doing it soon too. No need to measure it doesn't matter. We have plenty of adjustment to compensate and the relative location of the fulcrum remains the same in all important directions.

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    found some grade 8 m12 bolts and lock nuts at the local hardware store.

stock stuff for reference

i used 2 washers on the inside to space the bushing away from the inner wall of the bracket and 4 washers on the outside to make up for the difference of the missing nub. this is where the magic happens, the bushing is placed as far inward as possible giving you the room for that toe-in.

My Cars
    97 bmw 320, 94 bmwm3
    Looks like you modified only one side.
    Do you use a spacer on the opposite side?

Edit: got it!
    Last edited by s50b30; 11-10-2016 at 06:16 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Ooooh I thought you changed the angle the bolt was. This is just spacing it in? Makes so much more sense meow.

My Cars
    2001 BMW E46 M3
    Argh, does anyone has photos of this they can post - that's not from photobucket?

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    There's a photobucket plugin for chrome I'm using. Makes life MUCH easier. But basically Cut out the inside portion, weld on flat piece, use washers to space inward. Done.

- - - Updated - - -

Capture.jpg

Here you go.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    how much toe in are you guys running? I have no problem hitting 1/4" total with offset rtabs

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I should get an alignment lol. I just put my car together and went to the track. Didn't have time to do more than toe plates.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I also have done this mod, but as I search for more grip, I raise my car higher and higher and it becomes unnecessary.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    is there anyone on here/anyone not on here that sells the brackets already modified?

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfilmwerks View Post
    is there anyone on here/anyone not on here that sells the brackets already modified?
    make_me_ritch_bitch or makemeritchbitch or some form of that on instagram.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    make_me_ritch_bitch or makemeritchbitch or some form of that on instagram.
    so with those im guessing you just have to use more spacers since they're flat on both sides?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    so with those im guessing you just have to use more spacers since they're flat on both sides?

I think his uprights are offset, there may be no need to use spacers with his, which means there is no adjustability

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by blake261 View Post
    I think his uprights are offset, there may be no need to use spacers with his, which means there is no adjustability
    the thing about his is that he advertises them for when you want to run a lot of camber, not when you want to run little to no camber so I guess i would be confused to if they would still work for the purpose I want them to especially if what you're saying is true

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    so i dm'd him to ask, he basically said that it wouldnt work since it'll make the car toe out pretty good. Gotta keep searching for someone to do them custom

My Cars
    98 328is
    so i dm'd him to ask, he basically said that it wouldnt work since it'll make the car toe out pretty good. Gotta keep searching for someone to do them custom
    i didnt know that. good to know for the future.

turbo mike with the white e36 might be able to help you out.

My Cars
    e36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    i didnt know that. good to know for the future.

turbo mike with the white e36 might be able to help you out.
    yeah I wasn't sure then after what blake said I figured I would just ask. His are all automated so hes not actually cutting and modifying oem brackets, he said he has everything cnc'd now. Although if he really wanted to, and I'm unsure if this would even work but if he's getting is all custom he could make the slotted parts for the toe adjustment longer to allow for more adjustment in either direction, but who knows.

I have a local shop around here that said they would do it, but I'm just gonna start with raising the car like a quarter inch and getting these camber arms in and go from there. If anything pops up I'll chime back in

My Cars
    my brother's ti
    I would be willing to make these for anyone who really needs them. local welders should be able to do it for you no problem, but if you are having trouble, just send me a private message and I would be more than willing to help out.

Sorry about all of the broken photos. i will try to make a new thread or update this one some day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blake261 View Post
    I also have done this mod, but as I search for more grip, I raise my car higher and higher and it becomes unnecessary.
    I am in the same boat! I have also found more grip by raising my car. More grip equals more speed and more tire smoke.

If the car isn't gangster low, this mod isn't needed.