Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth for CD43 - that works!

My Cars
    1991 E31, 1985 E24
    I ordered these two things from GROM: BMW Mini 98-06 Bluetooth Hands Free Car Adapter Kit - behind the radio (BMWSB3) & AUX-IN 3.5mm audio and 5V USB Charging cable , 5FT (35USB). I don't believe it came with a microphone. We had one already wired to the original telephone so I just used that.

Quote Originally Posted by tvjake2 View Post
    Which GROM did you use? The website doesn't seem to have a match for the E31. Also, do you have a microphone in this kit. My eBay kit came with the mic and I mounted it in the original mic location.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Will this work with the Becker unit also?

My Cars
    1991 E31, 1985 E24
    I don't know about the Becker units. I would check with GROM tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    Will this work with the Becker unit also?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    This might not be the right place to ask this question, but here goes: Will these bluetooth modules work with any BMW as long as it is used with a C33, C43, or CD43 head unit?

I have a '95 M3 with the older head unit (CM5903L); no iBus. I was thinking of updating to a C43 or CD43 and then installing the module. Will that work, or will my car's wiring not allow it since I don't have a Bus wire?

My Cars
    1991 E31, 1985 E24
    I am no expert, but I would expect it would work. I had to bypass my car's iBus wiring and connected the GROM unit's iBus wire directly to the CD43 and it works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by callison157 View Post
    This might not be the right place to ask this question, but here goes: Will these bluetooth modules work with any BMW as long as it is used with a C33, C43, or CD43 head unit?

I have a '95 M3 with the older head unit (CM5903L); no iBus. I was thinking of updating to a C43 or CD43 and then installing the module. Will that work, or will my car's wiring not allow it since I don't have a Bus wire?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    thanks for the response. That is the way I interpreted the Grom instructions, so it's nice to have some confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by norcal8er View Post
    I am no expert, but I would expect it would work. I had to bypass my car's iBus wiring and connected the GROM unit's iBus wire directly to the CD43 and it works very well.

My Cars
    E90 M3
    Hi all,
    I am new to the forum and am awaiting delivery on my 91 850i!

Plan to give this fix the old college try, but wanted to know a few things first. Is there any reason to pay more than 100 for a used cd43? Some refund go around 250; I am done either way but don’t feel it necessary to buy the most expensive unit of the only reason is a bit less wear on the buttons, etc. Last, is there any benefit to the Grom vs eBay transmitter other than what sounds like a smaller size for install (i.e., does it sound better); especially if I plan only to stream via iPhone and not use USBs?

Finally, @norcal8er, did you have to cut your own space into your shifter trim for the usb/aux input or did you have template / blanks there already? I don’t see any outlines below asc on the pics for mine (not here yet!)

Thanks!

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    The cheaper the CD43 the tackier it may look. You want one that's fully functional. $225-250 is kinda standard for the vendors who sell them in good condition. I have a nice one, that has a broken a screw cover, I have a new screw cover. The radio is in great shape and works well. I'd sell it for $150+shipping. I can send you pics.

I don't know the difference in the two units. I think they may offer some different functions. Both will work very nicely. The install for these is not difficult, just fiddly, but is really worth it. Good luck.

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    I paid $68.50 they are now $57.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    I may be interested in your cd43 if the other guy isn't. I'll PM you.

The cheaper the CD43 the tackier it may look. You want one that's fully functional. $225-250 is kinda standard for the vendors who sell them in good condition. I have a nice one, that has a broken a screw cover, I have a new screw cover. The radio is in great shape and works well. I'd sell it for $150+shipping. I can send you pics.

I don't know the difference in the two units. I think they may offer some different functions. Both will work very nicely. The install for these is not difficult, just fiddly, but is really worth it. Good luck.

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by norcal8er View Post
    Chipray you were spot on. I also finally got Bluetooth working. The culprit was indeed the speed sensor, AKA electronic body module on the i-Bus wire. It was pulling just enough current that the bluetooth module wasn't getting the full 12V it needed. I bypassed the i-Bus wire in the harness and connected my BT module directly to the stereo and it works perfectly now. Keeping the OEM look was well worth the hassle. I love the simplicity and ease of use with the CD43. I'm tempted to try this in my E24 which has an aftermarket head unit I can't stand, even though it has more "features".
    Attachment 642778
    You need an inspection/oil change

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Quote Originally Posted by callison157 View Post
    I may be interested in your cd43 if the other guy isn't. I'll PM you.
    If I don't hear from him in a few days then you're on. I got your PM. I just got back from the Canadian Gran Prix last night and am off to Palo Alto tomorrow morning. I'll connect with you when I get back early next week for pics, etc.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Avus/Dove
    Sounds good, thanks!

If I don't hear from him in a few days then you're on. I got your PM. I just got back from the Canadian Gran Prix last night and am off to Palo Alto tomorrow morning. I'll connect with you when I get back early next week for pics, etc.

My Cars
    1991 E31, 1985 E24
    I did not have to modify the shifter trim. There are cutouts for other modules which pop out. If my memory serves correctly, the eBay BT module can play audio from USB sticks but will only charge at a lower voltage, so it was not enough to overcome the battery drain on my phone using navigation. The GROM USB charges at the higher 5V rate, but won't play audio. I also had to solder a resistor per GROM's instructions to get it to work with the CD43. The eBay unit is plug and play. For me faster charging was more important than the audio playback, so I went with the GROM.

Quote Originally Posted by wabash740 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new to the forum and am awaiting delivery on my 91 850i!

Plan to give this fix the old college try, but wanted to know a few things first. Is there any reason to pay more than 100 for a used cd43? Some refund go around 250; I am done either way but don’t feel it necessary to buy the most expensive unit of the only reason is a bit less wear on the buttons, etc. Last, is there any benefit to the Grom vs eBay transmitter other than what sounds like a smaller size for install (i.e., does it sound better); especially if I plan only to stream via iPhone and not use USBs?

Finally, @norcal8er, did you have to cut your own space into your shifter trim for the usb/aux input or did you have template / blanks there already? I don’t see any outlines below asc on the pics for mine (not here yet!)

Thanks!

My Cars
    E90 M3
    Hi all,
    @tvjake, sorry I didn’t reply. I haven’t been on before now as I had taken delivery! Unfortunately, I already paid more for a unit from eBay😥. Hopefully, it will find a good home with @callison157.

I tried the Bluetooth and even after cutting the pin7 ibus connection, I can’t get any sound! It shows 5-88 and is connected on my iPhone but zilch on sound. It will play cds, but then goes to no disc until I turn off power. Hopefully, someone has a suggestion. Otherwise, I guess I will have to try to puzzle out the Grom...

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    E90 M3
    @norcaler8, how do you connect the Bluetooth direct to the radio?

- - - Updated - - -

I meant @norcal8er😊

My Cars
    E90 M3
    I was able to get it working. It did have hiccups, and quit a few times before I got it more or less reliably connected, so hoping it holds up tomorrow and thereafter.

The issue, I think, was a loose connection in 2 places. The black square female connection from the adapter into the cd changer input under the 17 pin bloc on the cd43. When setting the radio, it may have slipped out. This is the one I was worried may have been a defective connection on the cd43 because it had fewer prongs than the original tape deck. Seems to work ok after all but let me know if yours has a full set of prongs coming out of the radio under the big 17 pin bloc... I am curious to confirm).

The second area is the white plastic connector which clamps into the cars wiring harness. I think it has 12 total connectors which alternate from square to hexagonal in the center. I used electrical tape to secure this connection. Then, very careful to move the wiring harnesses to the left (facing out from drivers seat where I installed it) and rear of the console, tucking wires behind the rear bracket with the hole for the stabilization pole coming out the back of the radio.

Hope it works!

My Cars
    1991 E31, 1985 E24
    I used an extra harness in between the car wiring and the stereo as I didn't want to modify the original wiring. I disconnected the iBus wire from the car side in that extra harness and posi-tapped into the green iBus wire going into the stereo. The black electrical tape is covering the 10k(10,000) ohm resistor I had to solder in between the iBus and battery wires per GROM.
    IMG_4766.jpg

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by wabash740 View Post
    Hi all,
    @tvjake, sorry I didn’t reply. I haven’t been on before now as I had taken delivery! Unfortunately, I already paid more for a unit from eBay. Hopefully, it will find a good home with @callison157.

I tried the Bluetooth and even after cutting the pin7 ibus connection, I can’t get any sound! It shows 5-88 and is connected on my iPhone but zilch on sound. It will play cds, but then goes to no disc until I turn off power. Hopefully, someone has a suggestion. Otherwise, I guess I will have to try to puzzle out the Grom...

Thanks in advance.
    I had same problem. Disconnected everything and then reconnected. Turns out the the small plug at back if CD 43 was not in all the way. Works 4.0 now.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    I just got one of these. I have a 1999 M Roadster with a CD43 radio - I don't want to mess up the stock look, but the kids want modern music (not CDs)! Music sounds really quite excellent on bluetooth or SD card. I am a musician and bad sound would bother me. Also charges your phone. Phone calls work decent too, the sound is through the car speakers and people say they can hear me well even though it's a convertible. (I placed the mic low on the instrument cluster, in front of the steering wheel, to be out of the wind.) This unit packs a lot of functionality even though it works by impersonating the CD changer (which you must disconnect, if you have one). It is pretty well thought out. For example, when you are playing from your phone on bluetooth, park, then come back and get in the car, it starts playing from the same place on your phone - you don't have to take the phone out of your pocket. Pretty sweet. Highly recommended for your old Bimmer. I was doing a bunch of other work on the car and the repair shop put it in for free, it's not too difficult.

My Cars
    91 850 95dinan s/c m
    I just installed by ebay Bluetooth to my cd43 and very impressed! Took me about an hour and lost a radio tab (somewhere between the seats) but wish I had done this sooner. The most difficult part is concealing the Bluetooth unit. I put mine on the bottom of the drivers seat.

My Cars
    BMW E39 530i Sport
    Does the GROM unit display id3 tags (artist/song title) on the CD43 unit? Considering buying one soon

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Sorry, not familiar with that unit but I'd do some research on the forum before you buy it. If I remember there were issues with it.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Coupe
    So, I put in the LA Power box from ebay that goes behind the radio. It worked fine for a couple of months, and now "Car Kit" doesn't show up as a bluetooth signal to pair with (and I've tried several phones). I know it's connected because "6-99" shows up on the CD43 display and I can hear the faint alternator whine in the background. Anyone else have this problem? The seller, not surprisingly, is non responsive.

My Cars
    91 850 95dinan s/c m
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfisher View Post
    So, I put in the LA Power box from ebay that goes behind the radio. It worked fine for a couple of months, and now "Car Kit" doesn't show up as a bluetooth signal to pair with (and I've tried several phones). I know it's connected because "6-99" shows up on the CD43 display and I can hear the faint alternator whine in the background. Anyone else have this problem? The seller, not surprisingly, is non responsive.
    Mine started to do this too recently. Looks like that LA powerbox went kapoots on me too. Looks like the best option is the Grom unit unless there is a way to fix this LA Box.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast