Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth for CD43 - that works!

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308

Bluetooth for CD43 - that works!

I just bought this kit for my replacement CD43 radio. I've tried several others (Audiovox) and they have not worked. This one works. I installed it yesterday in about 1 hour. This has the Bluetooth function - works for phone calls, microphone, USB port, charging and a 9mm wire plug selection. The hardest part was stuffing the extra wire loom into the radio area but it will fit. It pretty much ended up on top of the radio behind the MID. I put the small interface box (the size of a cigarette pack) behind the glove box stuffing the connecting wires through the footwell linings. I'll use the Bluetooth to play everything. Getting it to link to the phone was very easy. The only issue with the unit is that the radio does not display the song being played but since I'm using the phone to select everything this is not a big deal. You can still use the CD player in the radio, switching between all functions and bluetooth is easy and works fine.

This unit uses an adapter wire harness to plug into the back of the radio and into the existing radio wiring harness. The description says that it works with C33, C43 and CD43. I tried it on my existing C33 but could not get the radio plug to fit easily so I gave up. It looks like it would work but I didn't want to spend the time since I'm not using the old radio. There is a 30 day return policy on the unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121543181090

Cd43 ADAPTER.jpg.

Cd43 ADAPTERa.jpg
    Last edited by tvjake2; 10-02-2021 at 12:36 PM.

My Cars
    Disco II 850i MERs 750il
    Does the CD changer work?

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    No. You don't need it if you use your phone or another music delivery "box". CD players are old school...ask my millennial daughter.

My Cars
    93 fjord grey 850csi
    could you post the auction No
    i'm finding it hard to find the seller
    thank you

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Well, interestingly enough the price just dropped to $69.50 and I just paid the higher price! Here's the link to it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121543181090
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: unnessary quotes removed

My Cars
    850 CSI
    http://www.radio-piraten.com/

try these guys......
    BMW 850 CSI march 1994 (EU spec), SOLD. https://www.classiccars-forsale.com/...94-bmw-850csi/
    BMW 850 CSI november 1994 (EU spec)

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    These guys are located in Germany. They are somewhat expensive.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: unnessary quotes removed

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    Tom, I got one of these units (behind the dash Bluetooth thingy) to install in the CSi before she ships over to Denmark. When I told the buyer I was going to take care, for him, one of those most irritating things about driving a mid nineties car, he was so grateful.

(and it gives me another excuse to work on the car before she leaves me!!!)
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Excellent. Let me know how it goes. You can mount the main box in the glovebox but I shoved it under the dash. The bluetooth was good enough and I didn't really need the USB or 9mm connections. The connector is a bit fiddly to get behind the console gear...you just have to figure out how to turn it.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: unnessary quotes removed

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    Tom - can you confirm if this is compatible and works with an iPhone 7 or 7+?

Just curious, haven't gotten around to installing mine yet.
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    I believe it will connect with any bluetooth capable phone. iPhones do have a different process so read the instructions. You can test it before you put all the console components back together (radio and MID).
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Should also work with the BE2450/BE2455. Only it will not support text like the CD43 does.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    1994 850CSi
    Yes it works with my iphone 7. Really happy with the unit, works great!
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    94 840ci

CD43 Bluetooth success

Completed installation of the CD43 and Bluetooth receiver like tvjake2. Both units were purchased from eBay. The CD43 was $289.95 (refurbished) and Bluetooth receiver (new) was $67.95. Shipping was free for both units. It took about thirty minutes to install. And everything works. The Bluetooth automatically connects when my iPhone is sensed so I don't need to keep set it up each time. The manual with the Bluetooth receiver was easy to understand and provides everything needed for a successful install.

Auction titles:
    BMW CD43 BUSINESS CD PLAYER RADIO STEREO E36 E34 E31 E30 840 540 328 M3 Z3 CODE
    Seller is aspeedracer345 and ships from Florida

Bluetooth Music Handsfree MP3 CD Changer Adapter BMW E36 E46 Z3 Business Radio
    Seller is leica4lifeus and ships from New Jersey

Be aware there are at least two types of CD43 sold on eBay. The CD43 is used by other manufacturers so those not removed from a BMW (Land Rover for example) will have a BMW sticker pasted over the "Land Rover" logo. So if you want a real BMW CD43 it has “BMW Business CD” etched on the face to the right of the volume knob.

There aren’t any tricks to installation. I used Velcro to secure the Bluetooth box. There is a recess immediately to the left of the center console just below the MID. Ensure the two cables in the trunk are disconnected from the CD changer. With the cables connected the Bluetooth volume on the radio is diminished.

I added a USB extension cable of three feet to the USB connector on the Bluetooth receiver and ran it to the glove box (I found a cable that has a smaller diameter making it easier to route to the glove box. That’s where I put the other end of the USB extension cable.) So the only thing in the glove box is the end of the USB cable and its attached USB thumb memory stick. So I can have multiple memory sticks full of music stored in the glove box and just plug in the one I want similar to inserting a new cartridge in the trunk CD Changer. The thumb drive can have a maximum of six directories with 99 songs in each directory for a total of 594 songs for each thumb drive. For convenience I named the six directories Disk 1, Disk 2, Disk 3… The 99 songs are selected to play by the file date, earlier date first. So if you want a different order then search the Internet for “windows file timestamp change” and following the directions or if you have a friend who programs perhaps he can write a small program to allow you to control the date of the file and therefore the order the songs are played. (The music from my iPhone plays great using Bluetooth but that limits my source to only the songs on my phone. Using a thumb drive for music gives me unlimited songs and choices. I suggest using 2GB thumb drives since you're limited to 594 songs per thumb drive. The USB max size of the Bluetooth receiver is 64GB. Unfortunately the song names are not displayed just the track number.)

I haven’t installed the Bluetooth microphone yet. I'm thinking of running the mic cable to the top of the steering column so it’s somewhat hidden and attach with Velcro. However, I did ensure the phone works with Bluetooth.

Amazed how easy it was. Kicking myself for not doing it years ago. No more CD skips at railroad crossings or putting at least one CD upside down in cartridge. And I believe the CD43 produces better quality and louder sound without compromising the fabulous E31 distinctive cockpit look.

My Cars
    E31
    I have a 1993 e31 with a cassette deck rds... and a cd changer in the rear. Would the cd43 be a plug and play and retain the Cd changer in the rear?

Thanks!

My Cars
    94 840ci
    Installing the CD43 on earlier E31's, like yours, will make your trunk CD Changer inoperative. Installing the Bluetooth receiver effectively replaces the trunk CD changer with your smart phone. Using the USB thumb drive option is an effective replacement for the trunk CD Changer. The Bluetooth receiver also has a micro SD card slot for up to a 64GB SDHC US-1 memory card. This card can also store music with the six directories with up to 99 songs each. Note the six directories allow you to switch to each directory of songs similar to having the CD Changer installed with six indivual CD's in the cartridge. So pressing Disk 1 on the CD43 will play the songs in the first directory on the thumb drive, pressing Disk 2 on the CD43 will play the songs in the second directory on the thumb drive, pressing Disk 3 ...... so you have a simulated trunk CD Changer.

Bluetooth connectivity to your smart phone allows calls and music from your phone to be played on the CD43. Installing the SD card and/or USB thumb drive on the bluetooth receiver gives you other options for the inoperative trunk CD Changer. You can switch between all three options using the CD43 buttons.

if you do a search on this forum you can find instructions for modifying your e31 for using a CD43 with the trunk CD Changer. It will require running wires from the changer to the CD43 and is quite extensive.

My Cars
    1991 850i / 6
    E31ftwww, you need to find the correct cd changer (designated PI) that matches up with the CD43, and get the correct wiring and ibus that connects them. Not difficult at all even for a dummy the likes of myself. The afore mentioned system is by far superior, but some of us ancients are deathly afraid of advanced technology. I only wish somebody would come up with
    something to upgrade BMW car phones to work like modern cell phones.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Nice! Very helpful additional info.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:51 AM.

My Cars
    93 fjord grey 850csi
    Works well very happy with it
    installed with an android phone

My Cars
    E31
    Thank you this is very helpful. Where can I find this CD chamber and the corresponding wiring? This would be great help thank you
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:51 AM.

My Cars
    94 840ci
    In my previous write up I incorrectly posted that the SDHC Memory Card in the Bluetooth receiver is limited to 64GB it is limited to 32GB. Also in creating your USB thumb drives I suggested 2GB drives but I found this isn't enough memory so I recommend you purchase USB thumb drives of 4GB. I found these on Amazon (link below) and thought they suited the purpose just fine. They are a pack of 10 USB 4GB thumb drives in ten different colors for $37. The different colors should make it easier to find the particular USB drive your looking for so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to read a label when selecting different music.

https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Flash-...b+4+gb+10+pack

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    I just installed this in my car, and I am STOKED! Easy to install, works great. I'm wondering if I can wire the stock telephone mic into this unit (I really like to keep things looking stock or original equipment whenever possible. I've cut the connector for the OE mic (it's just two wires) so I'm going to wire it to a pin-jack and give it a try. I'll report back if it works. But in the meantime, I'm just enjoying all my favorite tunes using Spotify. The only thing I disliked about driving my 8er these days was listening to FM radio, or dealing with one CD of music at a time. Not any more . . .
    Mike Barrett
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i Touring
    Check my thread.. this is what I did to my E34 touring with C43. it will work with the 850 since wiring for that is almost the same. I used the cover for the original microphone and just put the microphone that came with it in that space.. it looks quite original.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...167-BT-Upgrade
    Last edited by zkd; 09-05-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    E34 525i Touring 1995, M52B28 LSD... fully restored.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    I put the microphone, that came with the unit, into the space reserved for a microphone. It takes some fiddling and adding some soft foam will keep vibrations away from the microphone. You'll need to remove the old microphone and dremel out the area a bit. It works fine in that location.
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:54 AM.

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Doh! That makes more sense, and is easier than what I had planned. Thanks.Mike Barrett
    Last edited by shogun; 03-23-2019 at 10:55 AM.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast