Thread: Who here has replaced valve seal themselves on the n62 engine?

My Cars
    2007 750LI

Who here has replaced valve seal themselves on the n62 engine?

I am a mechanic, the job doesn't really worry me just wondering who has done them. Did you use the aga tool for like $1000? If not what did you use to compress the valves, brand etc...? Did you remove the cams or leave them in? Did you pull the head off or just pressurize the cylinder?

thanks

My Cars
    2006 750Li

Did you ever do the job???

Quote Originally Posted by blake99 View Post
    I am a mechanic, the job doesn't really worry me just wondering who has done them. Did you use the aga tool for like $1000? If not what did you use to compress the valves, brand etc...? Did you remove the cams or leave them in? Did you pull the head off or just pressurize the cylinder?

thanks
    I am looking for someone to do mine for a responsible price what was your solution?

My Cars
    '06 X5, Past 530i,740 iL
    Is this the same issue as when people say their "valve stems" need repaired?

When I think "valve stem" I think of the wheels. haha

My Cars
    2007 750LI
    I wont be doing them till probably april, thats when i have the time off from work. just getting info now

My Cars
    2006, BMW X5
    blake99, I just finished doing the valve seals on my 2006 BMW x5 4.4i. I purchased the valve seal tool from AGA (best tool ever invented). It took me a little longer then I expected; this was the first time I had ever dove under the hood of a BMW. I had several things I was having to fix on the vehicle, my main item was the $5 gasket/seal that is behind the alternator bracket (biggest pain in the rear I have ever done, I will sale the suv before I ever replace that seal again.)

As for the valve seals that job wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I spent about 4 days total on the valve seals, I spent one day removing all of the parts (covers, trim, washer fluid box, wires valve covers). On day 2 and 3 was spent changing valve seals. I have a not so good back so I couldn't spend a full 8hrs working on the car. Then on day 4 I put every thing back together (that was the easiest part) it took about 3hrs to have the car back running. Over all I spent about 18 to 20 hours on the valve seals.

I am by no mean a professional mechanic but I have always worked on my own vehicles. The only thing I had a problem with was maintaining cylinder compression on a couple of cylinders. I called AGA and asked what was causing this because I was concerned. After speaking to a tech he advised me that some of the cylinders would not hold compression when putting the intake rockers back on and not to be concerned that everything would seat back in. He was right, after running the car for a day I done a leak down test on the cylinders and everyone of them was great. I went and purchased a leak down test from Harbor Freight and Tools prior to starting the job and it done great. Also if you decide to do the job get your self a set of fuel line needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight, they are perfect for removing the old seals.

AGA's valve tool is defiantly a life saver. I couldn't imagine removing the cams and the heads. I priced around at a couple local garages and the cheapest I could find was $3800 to change the seals. For me to complete the job I spent about $1300 total. That was for the tools, valve seals, valve cover gasket set, antifreeze and 10 quarts of full synthetic motor oil. Over all it was worth it. I hope this helps out.

If you our any one you know is looking to purchase the AGA valve seal tool for the N62 I am looking to sale mine. I will make someone a heck of a deal on it. Only used once.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Quote Originally Posted by MLetterman View Post
    blake99, I just finished doing the valve seals on my 2006 BMW x5 4.4i. I purchased the valve seal tool from AGA (best tool ever invented). It took me a little longer then I expected; this was the first time I had ever dove under the hood of a BMW. I had several things I was having to fix on the vehicle, my main item was the $5 gasket/seal that is behind the alternator bracket (biggest pain in the rear I have ever done, I will sale the suv before I ever replace that seal again.)

As for the valve seals that job wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I spent about 4 days total on the valve seals, I spent one day removing all of the parts (covers, trim, washer fluid box, wires valve covers). On day 2 and 3 was spent changing valve seals. I have a not so good back so I couldn't spend a full 8hrs working on the car. Then on day 4 I put every thing back together (that was the easiest part) it took about 3hrs to have the car back running. Over all I spent about 18 to 20 hours on the valve seals.

I am by no mean a professional mechanic but I have always worked on my own vehicles. The only thing I had a problem with was maintaining cylinder compression on a couple of cylinders. I called AGA and asked what was causing this because I was concerned. After speaking to a tech he advised me that some of the cylinders would not hold compression when putting the intake rockers back on and not to be concerned that everything would seat back in. He was right, after running the car for a day I done a leak down test on the cylinders and everyone of them was great. I went and purchased a leak down test from Harbor Freight and Tools prior to starting the job and it done great. Also if you decide to do the job get your self a set of fuel line needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight, they are perfect for removing the old seals.

AGA's valve tool is defiantly a life saver. I couldn't imagine removing the cams and the heads. I priced around at a couple local garages and the cheapest I could find was $3800 to change the seals. For me to complete the job I spent about $1300 total. That was for the tools, valve seals, valve cover gasket set, antifreeze and 10 quarts of full synthetic motor oil. Over all it was worth it. I hope this helps out.

If you our any one you know is looking to purchase the AGA valve seal tool for the N62 I am looking to sale mine. I will make someone a heck of a deal on it. Only used once.
    Great write up. I just purchased a 2006 750iL. One of my concerns with purchasing the car was knowing that the valve stem seals have not been replaced. Since I do all my own work I wasn't real concerned about the valve stem seals since they didn't need to be replaced right now but thinking ahead. After speaking with the lead mechanic at the dealership he mentioned that they could do the job for 2k. My ears perked up knowing that if I had it done by BMW or an independent I was looking at 4-7k and doing it myself would be a tedious and time consuming job. ( already did timing chain guides on my 740). And I would need to spend what you did for the tools and parts. So I got them to write into the sale agreement that when the time comes that they will honor the 2k price they quoted me and replace the seals. Knowing what you know now about doing the job would you pay 2k for someone else to do it for you?

My Cars
    745li
    If you plan on doing the job himself as a lot of help on Facebook the group is called" BMW Aga tool rental" there is a ton of help

My Cars
    E39 530i
    awesome.

My Cars
    750ll
    Just heads up to everyone that plans on doing the valve stem seals. This video saved my life.
    I was very afraid to start the job , you after reading people dropping valves and becoming a nightmare. Well after i watched this video i found out there is a fb group as well from many people that have done the job them self. I called them up and got the tools and the seals from them. Man o man it gave me the confidence and i had no fear to get the job done.
    God blas tony for all the help. The small tricks and the details he gives out its just amazing. That guy knows this issues inside out. I had issues after the job and i had codes and i was able to get everything fixed right away with the fb grops help and tony.
    https://youtu.be/cFNfZaQLKno

My Cars
    850i, Alpina B7, E61
    Anyone have a parts list that are need to do this job with the AJA tool???

My Cars
    2011 e70
    Quote Originally Posted by MLetterman View Post

If you still have the kits message me I'm interested in purchasing . Thank u in advance