Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of frame drain hole for 4 series convertible/F33

My Cars
    14 BMW 420D

Question Location of frame drain hole for 4 series convertible/F33

Hey guys,

After a few winter rain (yes, it is winter in Manchester now), I have found some water trapped in the car frame, and slowly leak from left rear side of car, near rear wheel. I think maybe the drain hole may be blocked somehow. Does anyone know where the frame drain holes located so I could clean it out?

How could I attche a pic with the thread BTW

Thanks
    J

My Cars
    F33 2014
    Hi

I have the same problem with the drain holes blocked and the panel filling up with water. If you accelerate or brake hard you can hear the water moving around on both passenger and drivers side. I also have the same puddles on the floor in front of the rear wheels where I think the drain holes are not completely blocked but don't allow all the water to escape freely. I may have a chance to look at it today (and take some photos of what I find) but after that I'll be busy for a few weeks so I won't get the chance.
    Regards Ju

My Cars
    F33 2014
    Hi

A quick update to this problem. I have just been outside to have a look and managed to successfully drain both sides in about 10 minutes. Underneath the car in front of the rear wheel there are two T30 plastic torx screws (they're not exactly screw but you can loosen them with a torx bit and pull them out). I then pulled the side skirt towards me and it unclipped from the car and came away by about 4cm. By moving this skirt only slightly water started pouring out from underneath the sill.
    I think dirt may collect between where the side skirt returns underneath the car and touches the sill which stops the water draining freely. When I have more time I will remove the side skirt completely and update the thread with a permanent solution rather that a short term fix!. I have just managed to upload a video hopefully it should work.
    Regards Ju

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    2014 BMW 428i Convertibl
    Hi!

I see this thread is old, but I’m wondering if a good solution was found? After every rainfall I have continuous dripping for what seems like forever. It’s on the passenger side, in front of the rear wheel, but also more central between the wheels at the inner edge of the cover under there.

If this cover is non-metalic, I presume is safe to drill some extra drainage holes in it.

But first, have you found a better solution, or proven this one to be effective?

Hoping for a reply. If none arrives, I have some photos and videos I will post in a new thread. I’m really hoping others have already resolved this, it seems kind of simple.

Many thanks!
    Jim

My Cars
    E39 530i vf supercharged
    don't drill the plastic shield. does nothing but waste time.
    oh ,and heads up..
    YOUR CARBON CANISTER WITH LEAK CHECK MODULE(NVLD) IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND YOUR FUEL TANK IS EXTENDED ON THE LEFT.
    NOT A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE EXTRA HOLES IN EITHER!!
    PULL THE ROCKER COVERS AND FIND THE SOURCE OF THE CLOG, COMPRESSED AIR WILL DO THE TRICK ONCE THE DRAIN HOLE IS FOUND.

My Cars
    420d Conv

Hi

I've got the same issue with my car. Did you resolve this?

My Cars
    Bmw 4 series convertable
    Hi I'm getting same problem with my bema un clogged the drainage holes only a month ago and the water has just started to collect again in clogged them again tonight wondering if this problem bit more serious now has any one else had it collect again so soon

My Cars
    420d Convertible
    Hi. I’m new here. After 12 years of 5 series estates I have just got a 3 year old 420d cabriolet which I am really enjoying, until I heard the sloshing sound behind my head. Having read these threads and a couple of others I have done the same as above, removed the skirt and found the drain plug. The plug itself twists and can be removed. It was all bunged up and about 2 gallons of water came gushing out. I have cleaned the plug and put it back in and will watch things for a while. Passenger side seems ok.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Cause

Poor water drainage due to installation location of the rocker panel trim.

Correction

Inspect for dirt/debris that may be blocking the drain outlet.Modify the rocker panel trim to improve drainage.

Procedure

BMW_gT6FZ.jpg

1. Remove the underbody paneling to inspect the water drain outlet shown to the left. Refer to repair instructions 51 71 017 “Removing and installing/replacing (left or right) underbody panelling”.
    2. Inspect the drain outlet for debris or clogging.

• Clean drain if necessary to ensure the drain is not clogged.
    BMW_QzBf1.jpg
    1. Directly below the water drain, drill a 10mm hole through the rocker panel trim as shown to the left. Deburr the hole.

This hole will allow for better drainage and prevent future clogging.

1. Perform this modification on both sides of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 07-18-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    F33
    Thanks for this, I've just realised I have this issue on my F33.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Causo

Poor water drainage due to installation location of the rocker panel trim.

Correction

Inspect for dirt/debris that may be blocking the drain outlet.Modify the rocker panel trim to improve drainage.

Procedure

BMW_gT6FZ.jpg

1. Remove the underbody paneling to inspect the water drain outlet shown to the left. Refer to repair instructions 51 71 017 “Removing and installing/replacing (left or right) underbody panelling”.
    2. Inspect the drain outlet for debris or clogging.

• Clean drain if necessary to ensure the drain is not clogged.
    BMW_QzBf1.jpg
    1. Directly below the water drain, drill a 10mm hole through the rocker panel trim as shown to the left. Deburr the hole.

This hole will allow for better drainage and prevent future clogging.

1. Perform this modification on both sides of the vehicle.

My Cars
    When you pull the rocker panel back, feel free to totally remove the spiral drain stopper thingy and leave it out.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2016 bmw 435d
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    When you pull the rocker panel back, feel free to totally remove the spiral drain stopper thingy and leave it out.
    I wouldn't leave the plug out. The spiral tower thing will deflect any leaves or debris that might get in and prevent them from blocking the drain hole. Also the recessed position of the drain holes in that spiral plug will help prevent water getting in from underneath in conditions of heavy spray if driving through heavy rain or deep puddles.

bmwF33WaterBuildUpFix.jpg

My Cars

Location of frame drain hole for 4 series convertible/F33

There is an underbody panel that blocks the hole. There's no way leaves or water will get in there. And then there's this thing called gravity... Leaves or water won't go up a hole.

Edit: Your picture caption says to drill the hole through the underbody panel and rocker panel. I drill through the rocker panel only and not the underbody panel. This is as per BMW instructions from the bulletin. Hole in rocker only, and the underbody panel will still allow for drainage while protecting the hole from any outside factors.
    Last edited by White94RX; 09-09-2020 at 01:44 PM.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Fellas if anyone’s still checking this thread please help... I’ve recently bought a 4 series convertible, I can hear water sloshing about so tried to see if the drains are blocked, however there are holes present already ( I think previous owner may have drilled them) however the water doesn’t seem to be draining out. I suspect there may be a blockage elsewhere and my boot is getting flooded. Did anyone else have the same issue after drilling holes ?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Blow compressed air UP the hole from the bottom, there's probably some schmutz in it.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Were the spiral plastic things removed? If not, they will still get clogged and hold the water in there. That's why I always remove them.

My Cars
    BMW 4 series convertible

Great thread

Quote Originally Posted by demonbarber View Post
    Hi

A quick update to this problem. I have just been outside to have a look and managed to successfully drain both sides in about 10 minutes. Underneath the car in front of the rear wheel there are two T30 plastic torx screws (they're not exactly screw but you can loosen them with a torx bit and pull them out). I then pulled the side skirt towards me and it unclipped from the car and came away by about 4cm. By moving this skirt only slightly water started pouring out from underneath the sill.
    I think dirt may collect between where the side skirt returns underneath the car and touches the sill which stops the water draining freely. When I have more time I will remove the side skirt completely and update the thread with a permanent solution rather that a short term fix!. I have just managed to upload a video hopefully it should work.
    Regards Ju

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, this was so helpful, it saved me a trip to the dealer. And Saved me a few bucks, thank you.

My Cars
    2015 BMW F33
    Yes my 2015 F33 has this now - does anyone have the BMW instructions 51 71 447 and 51 71 017 referred to in the US BMW service instruction?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Post #10

My Cars
    2016 BMW 435i convertibl
    What is the Tech Bulletin number to refer back to? I have a 2016 BMW 435i convertible that has this issue ruined my amp and power top motor

My Cars
    2016 428 convertible
    Would this issue apply to 2016 428 with M Sport option (I think that has different side panels, etc)?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by jyjohnson View Post
    Would this issue apply to 2016 428 with M Sport option (I think that has different side panels, etc)?

If the side panel is solid underneath the drain hole, then yes.

My Cars
    420i convertible
    Would this still be an issue on new models? Just purchased 2019 420i, didn’t check underneath yet but will do on collection

My Cars
    430i

semi success

Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Thanks for this, I've just realised I have this issue on my F33.
    thanks for the help here. I was able to get to the plug and get some compressed air up there to go from a VERY slow drip (its been dripping for about 10 days) to a pretty steady flow and think it is out now......still not sure the blockage is totally clear.....

So in all this thread, I'm not clear what this is a drain too? is there any way to get to the top of the drain and blow it out? thanks,

My Cars
    Bmw f33
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Were the spiral plastic things removed? If not, they will still get clogged and hold the water in there. That's why I always remove them.
    How many do these have you done mate? Have you had any issues from doing it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast