Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 99 E36 M3 STU/ GTS2-3 build #thesilvercar

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    This damper will not prevent you from running OBD2. Even the OEM damper for an OBD2 car is the same as OBD1. The only reason I mentioned it was OBD1 is that if you are OBD1 (which you're not) you could not run the car using the OBD2 ATI damper.

Just to confirm, I went and had a look at RealOEM.com. All the 6 cyl E36 cars use the same damper: 1123178620
    NICE! Will PM!
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Ordered this Mashaw hood about 6 months ago. Figured now is the time to put it on since I want to do everthing else to the car.

Pulled it out of the box and they did a good job with it. A little rough around the sides but the fit is great.

IMG_6185[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Only bad thing is that it came cracked. Must have happened during shipping as there is a crease in the box. Have to have it repaired when I get it painted. Add more crap to the bucket list.

IMG_6186[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Since I am mounting hoods, SCCA just came out with a rule change in fast track alowing hood vents. This is huge for me since it gets really hot in Florida and I have struggled with heat issues with the car since day 1. Thanks to darbyfarm for getting my the spacing. I did a very educated guess but wanted to confirm the spacing of the vent before I started cutting holes in the hood. Aerocatch latches were orderd at the same time as the hood so I need to install those as well. YAY MOAR STUFF TO DO

IMG_6190[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Tomorrow I get into the MK60. I need to order all the fittings and have a pretty good idea about where I am going to mount the ABS module. if it is not too much of a pain in the butt, might work out well.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Many
    Very interested in the MK60 results. Also, right now, our cars look are in very similar states of disrepair

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    PLayed with the MK60 some and ordered the fittings. I am going to keep the stock booster and MC for now and run the brake pressure sensors off a manifold.

I think I am going to go boosterless later with a tilton pedal box I have laying around so don't want to change more than I need to.

While the fittings and line come in, I need to work on a couple of other things, like hood splitter and the like.

I also got the motor back from the machine shop so need to start putting that together as well.

Still trying to make the Jan 12th SCCA Major's race at Sebring. With Christmas and all the stuff for end of year and the two kids, just don't know how much time I'm going to be able to get in the garage. Will try.

One of the things that I worked on was the heat insulation. The stock stuff was in pieces and looked like crap. I know some guys have liked the gold stuff but I just dont trust that I could purchase the legit stuff. After doing a bunch of research, I installed some DEI Floor Tunnel Shield. I just laid it out and started trimming it and got it to fit on the firewall and the contours of the transmission tunnel. It has adhesive on it and stuck on there prett well. Need to get some reflective tape and get the seams but the stuff is supposed to work. Will report back and let you know if it does.

Dei by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Reflective by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Had some fun today at THE FIRM north of Ocala today. It was my first time there but it is a cool and easy setup. We showed up about 1:00pm and had basically three hours of track time available to us for $125. The track isn't a motorsports classic but it has some technical corners and two turns where you have to be a man to make time. Took the new toy up there and had a good afternoon with the kids while Santa was shopping.

This car is a beast bTw.

The FIrm by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Finally got around to working with the Mashaw hood. First step was to weight it: 16lbs. Not bad. Second step cut the hole for the louvers.

Cutting the hole was easy enough. Need to send the Louver out to get powder coated and then I can glue it onto the Fiberglass hood.

IMG_6296[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

I ordered all the fittings for the MK60 install. While I wait for them to get here, started working on the mount for the unit. I am mounting it inside in the passenger footwell area. I chose this location to declutter the engine bay and give me a little more room to be able to work. Also makes the plumbing easier.

Mocking up the bottom mount with some cardboard. Then I am going to make the real thing out of some Diamond Plate.

IMG_6321[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Still procrastinating like crazy with the harness. Won't be able to touch the car much for the next couple of days. I don't know if I will be able to make the Major's Race mid January.
    Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 12-20-2017 at 10:03 PM. Reason: wrong pic
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Many
    With you on the procrastination and hopes of getting some serious work done soon.

Also very interested in the MK60 work.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Merry Christmas fellas. Have had a little bit of time to work on the car. Started tackling the ABS install in earnest last couple of days. I had spent some time planning it the plumbing and after researching and looking at it, I decided to mount the ABS inside.
    This will accomplish a couple of things:
    1. Declutter the engine bay
    2. Move some weight backwards and to the passenger area
    3. Make it really easy to plumb a pedal box if I ever go that route.
    4. Simplistically, it also allowed me to keep most of the stock brake lines, and the stock master and booster.Though I think the booster is going to be coming out real soon.

Here are some of the eleventy billion fittings I ordered:

IMG_7403[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

I can provide a full breakdown of people think that it will be useful.

This is the stock brake lines modified and ready to accept the AN braided hose. I am going from here through the firewall with bulkhead fittings.

IMG_7408[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Here is the pump and Brake Pressure Manifold mocked up on their bracket I fabbed up. The ABS pump is sitting on the same rubber isolators the stock pump was sitting on in the engine bay. The brake pressure manifold allows me a pretty simple solution to run the MK60 brake pressure sensors. I just could not find M12 t fittings...

IMG_7399[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Last night I started on the PTFE hose. With the right tools, this stuff goes together easily. I plan to get them pressure tested before we roll.

IMG_7442[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Next up is the harness for the MK60...

Motor should start coming together this week.

Progress...

Thoughts on painting the diamond plate black?
    Last edited by NotoriousJJE; 12-28-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    17 F250 12 Merc C250
    Hey Notorious! Where did you find the hood vent? I've been looking around and 300 bucks seems a bit high for it. Did you find something reasonable?
    I am opting for the 2% weight break by eliminating the ABS and went directly to a Wilwood setup.
    Chris Leone
    chrisleonemotorsports.com
    roll cages, repairs and racecar fabrication
    1984 318i now 325is
    1994 325is STU racecar
    1988 325is donor

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by XXLBIMMER View Post
    I am opting for the 2% weight break by eliminating the ABS and went directly to a Wilwood setup.
    Yikes! I'll take an extra 50-60lbs to keep ABS, especially if you're allowed the Teves Mk60 upgrade!

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Hey Notorious! Where did you find the hood vent? I've been looking around and 300 bucks seems a bit high for it. Did you find something reasonable?
    Got a tip on here for these:

http://vraptorspeedworks.com/bmwuniversal-hood-louvers/

They were $90 shipped and the guy was great to deal with.

Man, I've been running without ABS for about a year now and since I still have a booster, it's been brutal. Specially in a race under the gun specially at the hairpin!

Look forward to meeting you in person and going at it a little bit. What races are you running?

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes! I'll take an extra 50-60lbs to keep ABS, especially if you're allowed the Teves Mk60 upgrade!
    I agree 100%...
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    We started working on the car again after the break.

Motor is coming together. Crank, pistons, rings, oil pump etc is in. Waiting on the head.

engine block by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Also keep working on the MK60 install. Drilled the bulkhead fittings and started laying some more line. Tried to lay it out as logical as I could. Pretty self explanatory:

firewall brake lines by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Progress...
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    17 F250 12 Merc C250
    They were $90 shipped and the guy was great to deal with. Ordered, should be here by Monday!! Thanks!

Look forward to meeting you in person and going at it a little bit. What races are you running?

Still building. Will start wiring for megasquirt this coming week. Exhaust is done. Side exit through the rocker panel. Driveshaft should be here in a few weeks. Hopefully by March should be up and running. If you ever in the Sanford area hit me up.
    Chris Leone
    1984 318i now 325is
    1994 325is STU racecar
    1988 325is donor

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Finished the brake lines in the engine bay. This is what they look like without that firewall piece.

IMG_7576[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

IMG_7579[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

This is what they look like closed. I'm 99% sure I left myself enough room for the engine.

IMG_7574[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Put some heat shrink tubing on them at any point they might rub or possible touch the chassis.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    17 F250 12 Merc C250
    20180108_200550.jpg20180108_200558.jpgHave the exhaust pretty much ready. The floor will get welded in tomorrow night. Switching out the trans to a ZF unit. Driveshaft Shop one piece should be here in a few weeks. The Getrag Ultra close M3 Group N 265/5 might go in the E30 i guess. Bulkhead fitting is here and should wiring the Megasquirt in this weekend.
    Chris Leone
    1984 318i now 325is
    1994 325is STU racecar
    1988 325is donor

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Finished the brake line install and mounted the Mk60 bracket I fabbed up to the car. Don't mind the ridiculous amount of wires I need to remove the from the car. That is phase 4.

IMG_7616[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

IMG_7619[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

IMG_7618[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

Next step is wiring it in.

Turns out the guides in the head were no good, so need to get some on order. Head is going to be out for another week.

Hoos is almost done being painted, and there are several more projects to be tackled.

Slow and Steady...
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Worked hard trying to get the car ready to run with SCCA this upcoming weekend.

Dropped the motor back in, got everything bolted up, bought some oil, brake fluid, water wetter etc.

Go to start the car, car won't start. Messing with the coils, #1 was dead. SO get the car running without the first one. Put a new coil in, goes dead again. Not the coill.

Connected the code reader and I'm getting cam sensor, injector #3, and throttle position sensor

Driving me nuts. Injector can't be bad because I just got them back from RC INjector and they were cleaned and balanced.

Ordered a new Cam sensor and a new throttle posittion sensor. Get in tomorrow and will see.

Won't be ready for the race. Bummed.

Also put pressure on the brakes. THe lines I made help up well. Howevere, the tube nuts I bought are leaking right from the middle. Almost like if the brake lines were too small for them though they are rated for 3/16".

SOoooooooo Once I figure out what is wrong with the motor, I need to drop the damn thing again and fix the brake lines.

YAY
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Many
    Sorry to hear this. Been going through the same growing pains of rebuilding a car. I am getting close to the end of my troubles hopefully.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Still having issues with the motor.

It will run one day, and the next it will crnak but not turn on.

I can not clear the code for the Idle Speed Control Valve and INjector #3. They just wont clear.

Someone suggested it might be my DME that is bad.

ANy thoughts?
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    17 F250 12 Merc C250
    Which DME are you using? Might have one for you to try.
    Chris Leone
    1984 318i now 325is
    1994 325is STU racecar
    1988 325is donor

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Which DME are you using? Might have one for you to try.
    Thanks Man. I actually had some time today after doing some brainstorming. I was going to take out the IACV, and clean it out. Well wouldn't you know. THe damn connector was loose and not clipped on all the way. Clipped it on all the way and BAM!!!!! Runs and Idles perfect!!!!

This gave me a second wind.

Need to drop the motor so I can fix some leaks from the brake line junctions I made, but man I am on the other side!!!!

PUMPED
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Many
    Love when the fixes are easy like that!!

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    Finally got around to working with the Mashaw hood. First step was to weight it: 16lbs. Not bad. Second step cut the hole for the louvers.

Cutting the hole was easy enough. Need to send the Louver out to get powder coated and then I can glue it onto the Fiberglass hood.

IMG_6296[1] by NotoriousJJE, on Flickr

That vent looks good. MA Shaw sells an E36 GTR hood in CF that has vents molded in. Did you consider using that one, or is there a performance advantage to having the vent in the center of the hood instead of the sides as with the GTR setup? My car still needs to lose 120 lb, so I plan to add some type of LW, vented hood this summer. BTW, MA Shaw's website claims their solid composite hood only weighs 12 lb. Was your 16 lb measurement with latches and other accessories installed?

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirch View Post
    That vent looks good. MA Shaw sells an E36 GTR hood in CF that has vents molded in. Did you consider using that one, or is there a performance advantage to having the vent in the center of the hood instead of the sides as with the GTR setup? My car still needs to lose 120 lb, so I plan to add some type of LW, vented hood this summer. BTW, MA Shaw's website claims their solid composite hood only weighs 12 lb. Was your 16 lb measurement with latches and other accessories installed?
    Thanks. When I first got the hood, vents were not legal in STU. THey just passed a rule change and are pretty specific about the legal size. Just happened that these vents came close to maxmimizing the legal size. My purpose for venting was for purely for cooling. I have had a lot of issues with keeping the car cool during sprints. THe enduros we have run have been at night and they have gone without a hitch. As a plus, a lot of guys have had success with the center vent releasing some of the pressure buildup in front of the radiator. THe vendor was great to work with as well.

The 16lb measurement was just the hood. Nothing attached.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    The 16lb measurement was just the hood. Nothing attached.
    But your hood is fiberglass, is it not?

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    But your hood is fiberglass, is it not?
    Man it sure looks like fiberglass but Mike said it wasn't. I can't tell what it is. I will take close up pics of the underside and post them.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast